PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I got it now what?

Rob P
02-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I picked up my Discovery yesterday. It's used. (DUH) I have some things I need to correct on it.

First is the drivers mirror is broken as in really really broken. Octagon Spares in Windsor, York county, PA http://www.octagonauto.com/ has several Discos that they are parting and I can get another mirror assembly for $75. I am assuming that the electrics plug in and that the cover on the inside of the door hides the screws that hold it onto the door.

Second is optional, the cruise control doesn't work. The dash light on the master control (WTF kinda symbol is that?) lights up so I am assuming that no fuse is blown however the "set" button on the steering wheel won't engage the control. Suggestions for troubleshooting? Can I get to the wire from the "set" button from somewhere else to see if it is just the switch and not something else?

Third is the rear view mirror. The original auto dimming mirror is gone and in it's place is a Pep Boys special that has night and day but also seems to flip to the wrong angle when I flip it. I might try to find that when I am at the "junk yard" tomorrow.

Rob P
02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey you'all, go here to see pictures of the new acquisition.

http://home.comcast.net/~Captincvmn/disco/

http://home.comcast.net/~Captincvmn/disco/photos/photo6.jpg

jason
02-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Good job! Looks nice. FWIW, I don't know many Rovers with a functional cruise control. You may want to invest in a brick.

flippedrover
02-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Good job! Looks nice. FWIW, I don't know many Rovers with a functional cruise control. You may want to invest in a brick.
They come with cruise control? I feel soo robbed!

rvrsrvc
02-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Congrats!
Pop the cover off for the mirror before you go to Octagon- if you break any of the tabs you can pick up a new cover while at Geoffs. (Tell him I said Hi!)
Start with the vacuum hoses for the cruise. They will split at the tee piece or the vacuum unit and not allow the vacuum pump to draw in the diaphragm.

And watch out for the Octagon Newfoundland puppy-he is way cute!
Trevor

Rob P
02-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I didn't get to read messages until after I had already been to Octagon so the Hello to Geoff won't happen until next time around. I met the dog and also played toss with his rope. He'll be very big.

I had to get the whole mirror assembly Trevor, mine was totally shattered, housing and everything. If you look in the picture below you'll see the electric tape holding the head to the swivel body and the tape holding what is left of the mirror face in the head. I'll have to check over the vacuume routing and also the cracks mentioned by you. Thankyou. I can live without cruise but if I can fix it I damn well will.

I replaced the mirror tonight in the dark with my older son (13) holding the flashlight while I turned the screw/bolts out and in. It is replaced and aligned.

I'm destined for a speeding ticket. The Disco (that drives very nicely I might add) has much more power than my Tracker and also drives through corners with more confidence.

http://home.comcast.net/~Captincvmn/disco/photos/photo7.jpg

kirkt
02-20-2007, 11:22 AM
And watch out for the Octagon Newfoundland puppy-he is way cute!
Trevor

I love Newfies.

bens101fc
02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I picked up my Discovery yesterday. It's used. (DUH) I have some things I need to correct on it.

First is the drivers mirror is broken as in really really broken. Octagon Spares in Windsor, York county, PA http://www.octagonauto.com/ has several Discos that they are parting and I can get another mirror assembly for $75. I am assuming that the electrics plug in and that the cover on the inside of the door hides the screws that hold it onto the door.

Second is optional, the cruise control doesn't work. The dash light on the master control (WTF kinda symbol is that?) lights up so I am assuming that no fuse is blown however the "set" button on the steering wheel won't engage the control. Suggestions for troubleshooting?

Congrats on the Disco.

For the driver's mirror, you pull that triangular piece and the screws are under
it. There is also the electrical connector plug.

For the cruise control, 9 times out of 10 the problem is a cracked vacuum hose. They usually split at the end. Cut off the ends and reattach and it might work again. Other than that the little compressor (under the driver's headlights in that really inaccessable place). That little symbol is a freeway with a bridge. Isn't that the motorway (highway) symbol in the UK?

Ben

Rob P
02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks Ben, I didn't get a chance to look at the vacuume lines yet, but I will as soon as a weekend gets here. What's the compressor for behind the headlight? Or are you pulling my leg?

Rob P
02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I did get to look under the hood in the daylight today and the vacuume lines are really shot. I will attempt a replacement this weekend and then see what happens with it.

Rob P
02-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Going to attempt my vacume lines tomorrow sometime during the day. Also going to replace my windshield (windscreen) wipers. I am finding out partially that it isn't always going to be easy to locate correct parts. In looking for wiper blade replacements I started looking in a book at Pep Boys and Land Rovers weren't listed at all. I found an older bigger book laying in the rack under the blades and it had listings for LR's but I was kinda suprised not to find them in the first book. I was fairly used to searching books for items when I had my Isuzu Pickup but I thought perhaps this would be different, Guess not.

rvrsrvc
02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
The cruise compressor is below the plate where the jack is mounted, below the p/s reservoir. (Also a goofd place to mount a second battery if ever needed). Just follow the vacuum line!

Rob P
02-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I replaced the hose running from the compressor to the tee and also the hose from the tee to the vacume thingamabober on the throttle and also to the piece under the dash.

I assume that the thing under the dash is a switch to turn off the cruise when brakes are applied?

Still not working. Is there a way to test the compressor? SHould I invest in several different weights and sizes of bricks now or wait a week?