PDA

View Full Version : Steering Relay Replacement

crazyfish
03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, today was replace the Steering Relay in the Short Bus. Full semi-tech article to follow, but lets just say Oscar, English and Kirk took serious tools ( caveman level ) and replaced that critical piece.

One sledge hammer, one 4 foot prybar, one can PB Blaster, lots of parts removed, odd wiring reset, one floor jack, one bottle jack, one jack stand, lunch and beer.

Damn I'm sore. Start to finish about 5 hours.

spechols
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Does it work????????

Rob P
03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
A steering relay? You turn the wheel, the wheel engages the relay, the relay starts an electric motor, the motor turns a pump, the pump pushes fluid into the steering hydraulics, the hydraulics move the steering arm, the wheels turn right..........only to find you changed your mind and actually needed to turn left?

flippedrover
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
A steering relay? You turn the wheel, the wheel engages the relay, the relay starts an electric motor, the motor turns a pump, the pump pushes fluid into the steering hydraulics, the hydraulics move the steering arm, the wheels turn right..........only to find you changed your mind and actually needed to turn left?
The Short Bus doesn't have power steering. Did that come as an option on the Series 3 or 4?

solihull109
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
The Short Bus doesn't have power steering. Did that come as an option on the Series 3 or 4?
No, it wasn't an option on a S3, but I'd be willing to bet that most series owners wish it did....at least those who drive off road!:) S4?.....do you mean a Series 3 stage 1?

flippedrover
03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
No, it wasn't an option on a S3, but I'd be willing to bet that most series owners wish it did....at least those who drive off road!:) S4?.....do you mean a Series 3 stage 1?
Nope i got called a S4 owner at SCC.

oscar
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
My contributions are overstated.....although I did help with lunch. I will take this as a signal not to talk about your wiring.....:D

I too found the term "relay" confusing, untill I saw it....a more correct term would be

"turn linear motion into circular motion back into linear motion to pass the motion through the inconveniently placed steel member, whilst cutting down on the wrist-numbing jerking motion apparatus."