PDA

View Full Version : Assateague Island ???

Tom109
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
We never made the trip when club ran them in the past, but we've always wanted to go. I believe they were twice a year - Spring/Fall. Any reason this trip went away (besides the logistics of setting it up)?

Any interest in reviving it???

Regards,

Tom P.

galen211
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I would love to do, but the explanation I got from Tom B. is that politics have made it increasingly harder to get a group on the beach.

This may be incorrect and it is worth looking into.

galen211
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm

I can't see any reason why we couldn't do it.

flippedrover
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Always thought it was the cost of the permit and the fact that most people only went there once a season. But hey I'm game.

cboy
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm down. Always meant to go there, never got around to it.

jason
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
The last one Molly and Bill put together was met with beurocratic nonsense. The park, after realizing it was an organized club event, took extortion to a new level charging outrageous fees and making stipulations on usage. If you guys wanted another trip to Assateague, it would be advised to meet there as inconspicuously as possible.

Rob P
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Last time I was there it was like $60 for the permit to go "beaching" and if we just buy permits to go out on the beach and show up together (and don't exceed the 100 or so trucks on the beach at one time rule) it should be OK in theory anyway.

Would 10 friends in differing vehicles be a group or just LR's?

galen211
03-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I asked Tom B about this and this the response I got:

Assateaque is a nice event, with limited driving on the beach, yet a unique oppurtunity.
The Park Service began to demand a fee to hold an event, like $150. Each vehicle must buy the beach sticker-$70 last time I checked, plus the national park admission fee ($12 I think). You need to go more than once to get any value from that.
If you only have 10 vehicles, that makes the minimum cost $85 per vehicle, not to mention ancillery costs, like food and place to stay. Camping is $40+ a night in the state park, no dogs allowed.
You can look at a $200 weekend.
When the permit was $35 and camping was $15 a night, it was a deal, now it is just an expensive picnic.

Tom109
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, that is a bit expensive for a weekend. That's too bad, as we really want to take a roadtrip down that way once the weather warms up. Our thoughts were to take the Cape May Ferry to Lewes-DE, then move on from there. The Ferry is a lot of fun in nice weather...

Tom P.

flippedrover
03-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Well if we want to do a beach run why not the Outter Banks? No fee for driving on the beach. Yeah I know kind of a hike for most everyone.

Rob P
03-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Well if we want to do a beach run why not the Outter Banks? No fee for driving on the beach. Yeah I know kind of a hike for most everyone.

yes, but we can rent a large beach house for a week and it would come down to something like $200/per with enough people and it'd be a blast. (plus we can also find out how much we really don't get along)

solihull109
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
yes, but we can rent a large beach house for a week and it would come down to something like $200/per with enough people and it'd be a blast. (plus we can also find out how much we really don't get along)
HHMMM, you have a good point there Rob...and there's plenty of room to bury any evidence if we don't all get along!:eek: :D

flippedrover
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
True. Hit one of the houses north of Corolla that are 4x4 only access.

Rob P
03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
True. Hit one of the houses north of Corolla that are 4x4 only access.

Toyota Corolla?

derekdilks
03-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Own a place just south of Corolla, right on the ocean, sleeps 8 comfortably, 20 if we need to. Let me know a date and I'll reserve it.

flippedrover
03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Own a place just south of Corolla, right on the ocean, sleeps 8 comfortably, 20 if we need to. Let me know a date and I'll reserve it.
Hmm.. ok folks when is a good time?

Rob P
03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Daytime is good for me. I really need to send in my $25 soon. I am thinking August. Although, traveling with the newborn that far might get axed by the S.O.

flippedrover
03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Daytime is good for me. I really need to send in my $25 soon. I am thinking August. Although, traveling with the newborn that far might get axed by the S.O.
Heck if Derek has a house why not make it longer than a weekend?

Rob P
03-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Can't we all find jobs down there and just stay? Sure I'd miss the hills but I would love the sand.