PDA

View Full Version : Painless Wiring Harnesses anyone?

kirkt
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm thinking a Painless Universal Wiring Harness may be the way to go for rewiring lightweight, short of simply hooking everything up from scratch. Anyone use a Painless Harness for a series that can recommend a specific model harness? I;m thinking a basic 12 circuit water proof is probably a good bet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

kirk

Willard
03-12-2007, 04:38 PM
12 Circuit? What are you going to do with the other 8? Just kidding, i know i could find something for them.

Never used the Painless in a Rover or British car for that.
Someone makes these for Rovers or at least i think they do.
Check ADVANCE AUTO WIRE they might do something, they are more Triumph or MG.

You could always make your own.(i did this for my Mini and Triumph) I am thinking of doing this for mine when i convert to 12 volt.

I guess it depends how much time you have and if you willing to sleeve your own harness. If you have a lightweight, is yours encased in a steel loom? Much of my 109 FFR is. I will change to to a more Nylon Braided type of Sleeve

scatterling
03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
You could always make your own.(i did this for my Mini and Triumph) I am thinking of doing this for mine when i convert to 12 volt.

Willard, when are you thinking of converting to 12 volt .... also why?

Willard
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
When i am not sure. Whenever i get around to it :D. Maybe next year as i will be starting disassembly this year.

As for why. Mostly cost and the fact that i am entertaining changing to a Mercedes diesel engine.
The 2.25 i have is toast and will need a total rebuild. For the cost i can convert to a Diesel.
Also afgter owning 3 Diesel Landcruisers in 24 V trying to get parts and paying a premium for them is reason enough.

I know changing the engine is taboo but it will cost at least 1K for a rebuild (head and everything). I do not have an overdrive and not sure i want to put one in.
Like i said i am still thinking about the diesel.
But the 12 volt conversion will happen.

Ever tried to find an original 24V alternator for this? Seen the cost? rebuilds ar just as bad for price. so thats why.

I would have kept it, but.....

kirkt
03-12-2007, 09:25 PM
The lightweight is a FFR converted previously to 12V, although I have not really sat down and torn the electrics apart to confirm the operational status of everything.

I do not have a problem with rewiring everything from scratch, it seems pretty straightforward. I have redrawn a 12V - earth wiring diagram in british wiring code colors (diagram based on the Lightweight Users Manual):

http://kirkt.smugmug.com/photos/123953305-L.jpg

You can download a hi-res version here:

http://kirkt.smugmug.com/gallery/2242674#116978493

The painless kit may be viable after all considering all of the costs of the wire and connectors, etc. and any upgrades (ie fuse box and relays). I sourced a RHD Lightweight SIII complete harness from British Wiring (http://www.britishwiring.com/) and it was $500. !!!

I'll look into it and report what i find.

jason
03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I used Painless for my CJ-7 about 15 years ago. From what I can remember, it was easy enough for a novice (me) to do. If I remembered anything about the process, then that would mean I ran into problems.

Willard
03-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Please do, If the painless wiring is easier i might go that route as well.

Willard
03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Please do, If the painless wiring is easier i might go that route as well.
As mine will be wired completely different i plan to throw out all the old wiring and start from scratch anyways. Seem some of mine is the old military hack and cut.

scatterling
03-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Willard, when the time comes could you keep me in mind when getting rid of the 24 volt bits :D , I have found I can never have to many spares. Also if you are interested I came up with a permanent and simple solution for the 24 Volt generator demon... thought I would mention it if you, just maybe, wanted to stay 24 volt.

Willard
03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks, but if i go diesel i will dump it for sure and you will be first on my list to send all the old junk. Including the shunt box as i will not be needing it.

scatterling
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I will be checking the mail box daily!! Thanks