PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt setups in a series..

Tdi Guy
03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
WHere have you guys mounted the inertia style seat belt retractor in your series rigs. I have a set of inertia belts from a d-90 and would like to mount them in my truck but cant figure out a good place for the reels. Any pics or other setups out there.

Rob P
03-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Seat belts and roll cages should ALWAYS be attached to the cabin/inside of the vehicle and not the frame of the vehicle. I am not sure where there is to attach to inside a Series but I do know that much about it. Theory is that in a collision that is severe enough to severe the/any connections between frame and occupant area the belts or roll cage could crush you inside the vehicle.

solihull109
03-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Really.
A very good friend and myself built a race jeep for the Line Mtn events...3 1/2 and 7 miler events, some people know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's a 54 CJ 3 B high hood, sprung over and full cage from the engine compartment back, using appropriate bushings to connect the cage to the frame, AND the harnesses are connected to the cage. AND I can tell you in no uncertain terms that if the cage was mounted to the body I would DEAD...seriously. The reason I can still wake up daily is due to the fact of proper cage construction, outstanding welding...( he is a top notch welder...I've YET to see someone parallel his work!), and proper fitment. Yes the seats and harnesses are connected to the cage. We took a hit to a tree going flat out, and in the 4 cyl. class with a warmed up 134 flat 4 and gears/tyres(wait it's a jeep..tires) averaged about 54 mph. The cage kept both of alive ...the impact removed 70% of the body.....now this is in the woods...like trails that everyone else drives under 5 mph on...so I'm not sure that I agree with your rationale...hey maybe I'm wrong here:confused: huh, now that I think about it, maybe that's why no one will go wheeling with me:(..might explain why when everyone else hits the brakes I drop the hammer!

galen211
03-15-2007, 08:05 AM
WHere have you guys mounted the inertia style seat belt retractor in your series rigs. I have a set of inertia belts from a d-90 and would like to mount them in my truck but cant figure out a good place for the reels. Any pics or other setups out there.

Hardtop? Soft top?

Series III or IIa, II?

It all makes a difference.

KevinNY
03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Here is a pic of how mine is done.

oscar
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
The wife won't get in anything that doesn't have belts....in the Rolls i had to drill holes in the floor....ouch!

Thought about just zip tying a belt around and to the back of the seat......that way it is easily removable and istallable in another vehicle....:D

Tdi Guy
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
its a IIa 88 hard top. I might be removing the rear bulkhead behind the seat so I might then mount it to the side capping

Rob P
03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
full cage from the engine compartment back, using appropriate bushings to connect the cage to the frame, AND the harnesses are connected to the cage. AND I can tell you in no uncertain terms that if the cage was mounted to the body I would DEAD...seriously

Ok, All I can say is that I am speaking from what I have read and not what I have experianced first hand. Four Wheeler magazine had done an article on cages and seatbelts and they had stressed that in the event of a seperation of the frame and chassis that if the cage was bolted to the frame it could potentially do more harm than good as in crushing the occupants into the chassis. They had also said that the same goes for seatbelts that would be mounted to a frame mounted cage that during a severe impact the seatbelts in relation to what the seats are mounted on could change position and the belts could cut into the occupants. It made sense to me at the time and I can understand the theory behind it. Perhaps this is only valid on a light duty rig with a simple cage though and not a full frame mounted cage. Dunno. Like I said, I have no practical experiance with this only book reading.

All situations are individual though. My "X" swears that seatbelts can kill you in an accident and refuses to wear hers. I just haven't found a way to make that pay off for me yet.