PDA

View Full Version : Retreaded Tires

Rob P
03-16-2007, 07:56 PM
My tires on my Disco absolutely suck. They are ultra mild generic SUV tires that the previous owner installed. Anybody have any luck or experiance with this company? http://high-tec-retreading.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

I'm considering an upgrade after I get back from Robesonia and reviewing my study notes.

jason
03-16-2007, 08:59 PM
As a "professional", I have oodles of experience with re-treads. Unless you have 17 other tires to back it up, I can't recommend them. I know the industry and their vulcanizing processes have vastly improved in the past ten years, and it's a romantic green idea to re-use tire carcasses or casings, but the money you save is insignificant. Assuming you get 5 years out of a Goodyear MT-R at roughly $200 per tire, that works out to about $3 a week. A comparable retread (mud load E) would be about $80-100, or $1.50 a week, obviously. I think you see where I'm going with this. $78 a year, not giant savings in the long run.
Putting these on a Series, a dedicated trail rig, a 5 mile commuter, or any other low speed, seldomly used vehicle is perfect. Have at it. However, if you drive like most people in a Disco or Range Rover, 80 to 90mph is the norm on the highway, I don't feel a retread offers the same peace of mind.

This is, of course, my humble opinion and I don't mean to disparage the retread industry. I would love to be swayed, so if anyone does use them and has good things to say, please reply.