PDA

View Full Version : Chassis

mlp141
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Looking at new galvy chassis for 88"s -- what's the difference between the civy and military ones?

sven
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Im no Series expert but I think it has to do with the rear crossmember. The military one is straight.

JohnC
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Im no Series expert but I think it has to do with the rear crossmember. The military one is straight.
unlike you and Sean .... :D

crazyfish
03-20-2007, 01:07 PM
lol Johnny boy.

Not much, look for the best deal either way. I just saw a new galvy coil chassis on someone's 88 in NJ not too long ago...... All those fresh bolts might be easy to undo :)

Willard
03-20-2007, 03:36 PM
As i have a military one there are 2 things that i know of for sure.
1. Rear cross member is straight and square on the ends, I am not sureif it is stronger as well.
2. transmission cross member is removable.

Now on point 2 some new chassis the transmission cross member is removable as well, but some people have received non removable ones in a new chassis.

Other than that from what i understand the military versions have all the holes for the crazy things the military liked to add on, like Radio equipment.

Get the civilian one and ask about the trans cross member.

When i was looking for a new chassis for mine i almost bought a civilian one as i do not like the rear square cross member, but then i found a great deal on a used original Military one.

Tom109
03-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Military frames would also have twin fuel tank outriggers, and extended spring hangers, in addition to the square rear x-member. The removable transmision x-member is year-dependent, not all military chassis have them.

Unless you order one from Richards Chassis, I wouldn't think a true military 88" frame will be that common...

Tom P.