PDA

View Full Version : A/C Condenser Fan

rmsalt
07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
I have a 96 Disco. About two weeks ago I was sitting idle with the A/C on at a friend’s house and noticed after about ten minutes the heat gauge had gone up to HOT so I shut the engine down for about 30 minutes to cool. I added some antifreeze and water hoping that would take care of it which it did for about two weeks. I was coming home the other night with the A/C on and it over heated again so I immediately turned off the car and sat on the side of the road for about 30 minutes. The next morning I got up thinking I lost antifreeze but it was still full. I removed the black plug from the radiator and made sure there were not bubbles. I went out this morning with the air on and when I stopped at a red light the gauge started to rise so I shut the A/C off and the gauge went down. One thing I have noticed is that the condenser fan is not kicking on. I usually can hear it at a stop light. Is there a way to test the fan to see if it's good and could there be other things that would cause the fan not to kick on?

Thanks, rmsalt

Alvin
07-15-2005, 01:13 AM
Could be a sensor. Tomorrow I will take a look at my shop manual and see exactly what sensor controls the fan. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

rmsalt
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, I talked with a friend the other day that has worked on Land Rovers for over 15 years and he told me not to waste my time with the Land Rover condenser fan but for me to go out and buy a standard 10" condenser fan from an auto parts store. They cost about $60 a piece. I did that and found a simple way to mount them. I cut the wires and unscrewed the old fans and soldered the new fans and used heat resistant ties to put on the new fans. I have driven it for about ten days and they are working great. My air conditioner runs cold and the fans do the job. I only paid $120 for two new fans and I have no complaints as of yet. It's a cheap solution for now.