PDA

View Full Version : Frame from the UK

mlp141
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
A response from Sean on the Guns and Rovers site got me thinking -- have any of you "imported" a frame directly from the UK? I know that Tom and Jeff go to the UK and ship a container back but I know very little about the process. A new galv frame from RN is $1700 and from AB is $2000. A Marsland from Paddock is less than 600 pounds which is about $1200 USD. Assuming I can avoid paying the 17.5% VAT, is this a viable option? Will I have customs issues or lots of red tape BS? Is there even room in the container? I am very curious and serious about this.

crazyfish
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I've seen one frame come in the container. Best to call Tom and see where it stands for now.

Tom109
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
On teh S2 Club forum I've read good things about Richards Chassis:http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/

They build the frame to order, so you can have them alter it and put a 200tdi in the same container ;)

Tom P

galen211
03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Just remember that Tom/Jeff do charge shipping for that container, it isn't free. So that frame may be cheaper but in the long run the cost is the same.

Now if you put them on the hunt for a frame at the sort out that is a different story. Jeff got a great deal that way, someone who lost interest in a restore and sold the frame to get it out of there way.

mlp141
03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
G -- I know there'd be some shipping involved but I have no idea what or how much. I am seriously considering RN, since they are about 20 mins from Alicia's place in VT. I could go up, stay the night and then drive back the next day. My BIL has a full size Dodge 1500 I know he'd let me borrow.

JohnC
04-03-2007, 11:23 AM
We brought in Randy's frame for his series buildup. I think shipping charges were in the mid 300s for his frame. Don't remember where Randy got his frame from.

superpowerdave
04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since we're talking about importing ... how many trucks can they fit in a container? Maybe 3 88's? Fill them with the parts that the UK sells for much less than the American suppliers ... might be worth it in the long run.

Wonder what total shipping costs would be for a container? Has anybody done the legwork on this one?

galen211
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since we're talking about importing ... how many trucks can they fit in a container? Maybe 3 88's? Fill them with the parts that the UK sells for much less than the American suppliers ... might be worth it in the long run.

Wonder what total shipping costs would be for a container? Has anybody done the legwork on this one?

Yes, two of our club members do it quite regularly. You can fit 3-88's or 2-109's in a container.

Containers are the way to go because you can fill them with parts. If you do Roll-On, Roll-Off no parts can be carried with the vehicle.

My truck came here loaded to the gills with parts and that was it's only purpose, to hold parts.

oscar
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
My Landie will go on a boat day after tomorrow.....RO-RO as in Roll on Roll off....no parts, just the truck. The total shipping bill will be close to $2500.- Then there's the duty and import fees....

A forty foot container starts at around 4 grand plus insurance plus local trucking (both sides) plus fees plus.....

It's my first time around in this game, and there is a very steep learning curve. It's not a simple game, and savings are very easily eaten away by the nickle and dime stuff......it adds up, quickly.

Don't forget you would also have to go over there and buy/store/package stuff/truck. Gas is $8/gallon. Dinner is $30, hotel rooms are $150 up. The pound is strong, and life in the UK is expensive.

You get the picture.....

ccalado1
04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
If you can get the frame here it may be cheaper (and faster) to just go get it or get it shipped to your house. If its a frame you cannot get in the US then I would consider talking to Tom and Jeff to get the frame on their next container. Remember the pound just broke the $2 mark this week, so its really expensive.

Cristina

GrFa
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Now if you put them on the hunt for a frame at the sort out that is a different story. Jeff got a great deal that way, someone who lost interest in a restore and sold the frame to get it out of there way.

I also got my new galv frame from a restorer that lost interest. It may be worthwhile to keep your eye out for one. I had to drive to Maine and back in a day to pick it up but it was a good deal. Now if only I could get my truck together and not turn into that restorer that needs to get rid of his new glav frame...

scatterling
04-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I also got my new galv frame from a restorer that lost interest. It may be worthwhile to keep your eye out for one. I had to drive to Maine and back in a day to pick it up but it was a good deal. Now if only I could get my truck together and not turn into that restorer that needs to get rid of his new glav frame...

How much for the frame??!!?? :D