PDA

View Full Version : Lead......

oscar
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I searched but came up dry, although I'm sure this horse's metabolic processes have ceased a loooong time ago. Still, I need to know, so here we go:

1962 SIIa...whaddoiburn? No leaded here.....do I add an additive? or buy a better ocatane and hope for the best? What's the consensus?

Thank you...

Willard
04-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Get the head rebuild.

You can run an additive but i have yet to see one work completely. I have had several classic cars from British to American and i have eventually replaced/ rebuilt the heads on all of them.

You can run it on unleaded fine. the seals will harden over time....i bet it could do with a rebuilt anyways.
When was (or if it was) last rebuilt?

Most rebuilt in the late '80 '90 should be fine.

oscar
04-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Last rebuild unknown...who does it? Any local head shop/machine shop?

solihull109
04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
You can do it,...not that tough!...think glorified tractor:)

oscar
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Ah, all except for trueing the surface. Who sells the kit?

solihull109
04-03-2007, 05:34 PM
HHMM...I "think" Rovers North does....everyone I know just buys a new head?........if they need to go that route:)

oscar
04-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmmm, what exactly is it that needs replacing because of the lack of lead? I thought it was valve seats....and I don't believe that's a diy job. Don't want to buy a head if I don't need to. So, where's the shop that redoes the head?

solihull109
04-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Hmmm, what exactly is it that needs replacing because of the lack of lead? I thought it was valve seats....and I don't believe that's a diy job. Don't want to buy a head if I don't need to. So, where's the shop that redoes the head?
Sorry...I was being slightly sarcastic about the DIY thing....:)

Evan
04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
If memory serves correct, the "kit" consists of stelite (sp) valves. I seem to remember most 7:1 and 8:1 heads having hardened seats as series trucks where designed to operate in areas of the world with out the best refining processes. Ask over on Guns and Rovers or Call uncle George at RDS Just don't ask him if he has any chicken left.

Are you done with the auction?
Did you check out the lift on craigslist ?

flippedrover
04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
If memory serves correct, the "kit" consists of stelite (sp) valves. I seem to remember most 7:1 and 8:1 heads having hardened seats as series trucks where designed to operate in areas of the world with out the best refining processes. Ask over on Guns and Rovers or Call uncle George at RDS Just don't ask him if he has any chicken left.

Are you done with the auction?
Did you check out the lift on craigslist ?
Are you sure we want to expose him to Crazy George this early in his rover life?

oscar
04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Valves I can do.....bet those have to be ground in then.

Done with the auction.....it was awesome.

Landie goes on a boat on Thursday. I'm getting forms together for the customs people. Should be here the 17th.

Then Lady Kay comes North 25th till.........

Tomorrow I'm in Philly swearing......

Saw the lift, but it was a two poster....me wants a four poster.

There's a few other things on my list..... :eek:

Dav1550
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Last rebuild unknown...who does it? Any local head shop/machine shop?

Check around for a local machine shop that is to your liking..... You should be able to drop off the head along with the parts, "harden seats, valves and seals" ..... new springs if it suits and they can do what's needed to install the parts along with checking and decking the head if required.

Dave

oscar
04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
That sounds good. There's a very competent machine shop nearby. They've turned a Rolls flywheel from scratch for me before and did a very nice job.

Evan
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Did the shocks make it across the pond?

Tdi Guy
04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Check around for a local machine shop that is to your liking..... You should be able to drop off the head along with the parts, "harden seats, valves and seals" ..... new springs if it suits and they can do what's needed to install the parts along with checking and decking the head if required.

Dave

Thats what I did once... Just drop it off with the parts at your machine shop. THey will know what to do.

oscar
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Did the shocks make it across the pond?

Not yet...they didn't want them in Scotland.....:D

pbmonk
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
The first time I had a head converted to unleaded the machine shop prefered to use their own valve seats (rather than the LR ones). The exhaust valves need changing (IIRC). You may also need new valve guides - the machineshop can say - and certainly should replace the valve oil seals (which are very cheap anyhow). I guess my suggestion would be to take the head to the shop before buying anything.

While you have it off check out the rocker shaft (the rockers should not move from side to side on the shaft) and the surface where the each rocker hits the valve stem (they should be smooth). The shaft and rockers are readily available.

Peter