PDA

View Full Version : swapping

Rob P
04-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Who would like to undertake a grand project with me? I would like to seriously consider the possibility of swapping engines in my Disco. I intend to install a 6.2 GM Diesel. I have found an austrailian company that makes a gm smallblock adapter to the LR tranny.

Any takers?

solihull109
04-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Is this a turbo or N/A model? What is the wieght difference, what are the oil pan dimension differences? What benefit will be gained by fitting this motor?
Fuel consumption on that boat anchor will be close to what you have now, are you looking at burning alt. fuel perhaps?
As far as an adapter, do you have to swap the input shaft on the trans as well? I think you probably will, ....
I know there is a lot of room in a Disco, but will/does this fit? Why this particular motor combo?
Are you ready for the financial committment of such a build, because this isn't a "cheap" swap.
What about cooling this monster, they're fitted into full size rigs, yes the Disco has a large opening for "it's" radiator, how big is the one needed for the G.M. unit?
Will the ZF handle the unit, I don't know the torque numbers on the 6.2 so someone else will need to chime in.
What is the overall height of the new powerplant, and if it's a turbo, does it have an inner cooler?...where will the room come for that.
I see cooling issues if you can squeeze it in there...
Wow, that's a very ambitious:confused: plan...Good Luck!

Frank84
04-06-2007, 10:14 PM
the hp22 trans is only rated at 275 lbft so I don't think that it would be a good idea to used that trans - you could build it up to the hp24 specs but I don't know if it would be that much better - how much torque are you looking for from the 6.2?

Marks 4WD in Australia makes an adaptor to mate the GM 4L80E trans into the rovers - that's the trans behind the big blocks so would be fine - i assume they have the adaptor for the t-case end as well. You can get a stand alone ECU to run this transmission and I'm sure it would be easy to find one of these trannies around here.

however, this will produce a very long drivetrain that will need custom driveshafts and cross members. heavy duty springs/shocks will certainly be needed in the front for the extra weight.

also, in jersey you certainly wouldn't pass inspection (especially on '96 and newer cars), but i guess that depends where you live and who you know

not trying to discourage you because it would be an awesome project - but it will be tons of custom work and more money than you'd think to do it properly. i guess it depends on your wallet, skill level, and mostly the amount of free time and creativity you have.

tikicar
04-07-2007, 08:38 AM
There was a guy who stopped by the lot a few months ago because he saw my XD sitting there. He said he has a Disco 1 with a 6.2 Diesel he and his buddy put in. He said it was a pain because the Austrailian mounts they make are for right hand drive so they had to modify it to work with the left hand drive. I didn't see the truck so I can't tell you what it looked like or how his skills were. I remember seeing 6.2 Diesels in the rover magazines 10+ years ago in Discos and RRCs. They will fit. The 6.2s were non turbo motors but there are kits for them. Tough motor with good power and I think only a few wires make it run. The 6.5 were turbo motors. Both get very good mpg. They will do mid 20s with no problem. I have a 80s olds with the 5.7 diesel and it will do all but 30 on the highway. We had a caddy in the 80s with this motor. We could leave York and didn't stop for fuel untill South of the Border on our way to Daytona. The GM diesels are not the most powerful but give the best mpg and are the queitest. Anyway the guy gave me his number. He said he was thinking of selling the disco with the diesel. Send me a PM and I will give it to you. I don't feel good about just posting some guys number out there that I don't really know. Scott 97Xd

tikicar
04-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I see you are in York, Well if you do this swap it will not pass Pennsylvania State Emissions Legally. When they enter the vin# in the computer it will come up as a gas motor. Now this said the way the emission program was supposed to be was that if you didn't pass your emission test you could not get a new registration sticker. Well I can tell you at this time that is not the case. I have a friend with a 93 D110 that is converted to a Diesel. His shop just sees a diesel so it automatically doesn't get tested. If the system was up and running the way the state said it was going to be then he couldn't renew his registration. I know of plenty of V6 trucks with V8 engine swaps that shops turn down for emissions. Legally it has to be all factory under the hood or aftermarket products have to be emission legal. If you were thinking of doing this swap to save gas, Well I doubt you would come out ahead once you figure the cost of the swap with a motor, adapters, heavier springs, modifing the fuel tank and fuel system etc. I think just about every rover owner would love a diesel in his rig. The cost just usally doesn't add up. Good Luck, Scott

solihull109
04-08-2007, 08:14 AM
A big X2....HOWEVER, if you were to register in the Northern tier...like have a P.O. box ...say in .....Williamsport...then it could fly. Lycoming county still only does a visual of exhaust and a fuel cap test for emissions testing, that's all that needs to be done here....for now. They have talked about adopting the more stringent testing that takes place in Southern Pa...I'm from Montgomery County so I'm all too familiar with that process.
I suppose in my reply I should have been more direct...do I think it would be a cool swap...sure, I like everything outside of the norm, would it be cost effective...NOPE!You would need to drive that thing some 250K miles, convert to alt fuel and maybe that would cover the cost and aggr. of the conversion. Cool idea though.

Rob P
04-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Thank you all for the input you have given me. None of this project will likely even happen but if it does it'll be in '08. Mainly I am after higher MPG. Right now I am averaging 15mph on 87 octane Rutters and Sams Club gas.

The Adapter I found was from Marks in Austrailia for the small block Gm>LR tranny. I have found that the HP and Torque for the 6.2 non-turbo in stock form are both similar to the 3.9LR. I have found 139hp and 257ft/lb listed as maxes for the diesel. The LR engine makes (according to MSN autos) 182hp and 233ft/lbs. The 6.2 weighs in the 700lb+ area versus high 300's close to 400 for the LR engine. This would require 400lb plus springs for the front end. Power steering, A/C, charging issues would all have to be addressed. I am assuming that a one wire delco unit would charge sufficiently, as to the power steering hoses and A/C unit changeover I have no idea. I am assuming a custom 4 core radiator to replace the stock radiator. I don't know what kind of pressure the injector pump on the Gm engine requires coming into it for a happy life. I doubt it would suck from the tank.

My reasoning behind going for the 6.2L idea and not the 3 liter factory diesel is that of parts availability for the engine. I figure nobody on this side of the pond will have parts available for fixing or even servicing the LR diesel. That and the cost of obtaining one. The GM engine would be serviceable and also readily available. It would also be fairly easy to get running with it's mechanical fuel pump and no turbo.

solihull109
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
You can get parts for all L.R. diesels...well, 2.25,2.5 N/A and turbo, 300 tdi stuff here in the states. The dealers can't help though...they don't work on diesels. But, you're right, L.R. diesels( at least the 300) isn't cheap new.

tikicar
04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
You could easily find a complete running driving 6.2 chevy or GMC truck or Suburban with a rusty body but good engine for $1,000 or less. That gives you a complete engine with A/c power steering pump etc. Remember these engines use a power steering assisted pump or Hydro boost for the power brake booster. Modification might be needed for the Disco. weakest link on these motors are injector pump failures due to worn O rings. Other than that had them with 200+ thousand and run fantastic if they have been serviced. These older diesels usally need plugged in during cold weather. Just also remember that if you park at work for long periods of time on real cold days. Even with new glow plugs they don't fire up like the new diesels. Like posted if doing this just to save money on fuel. It won't pan out. If you figure only $5,000 to do the job and I bet thats the minimum with a motor and pump rebuild adapters etc. If you get 8-10 more mpg than you do now which will be the most. Figure Diesel is 20 to 30 cents more than regular. You would never own the truck to recoup your fuel. $5,000 at $3.00 a gallon is over 1600 gallons of fuel.

rmuller
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow.. at 15mpg you should be happy... i havent seen that since the truck was new.

CMS3900
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey Im new to the forums but I have done alot of research on the jeep side of the house. Tikicar is right, there is no profitable gain in conversion for gas mileage, however engine durability and longevity is what I hoped to gain. As well as increased fording capability. Heres two links that might be helpful.

http://www.jeep2diesel.org/ -Alot of info on conversions

http://visualizit.com/BlueYJ/engines.htm -Engine table for swaps

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Tdiconversions.html

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Discotech2.html

jason
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey Im new to the forums but I have done alot of research on the jeep side of the house

What jeeps do you have, or have you had? I've had SJ's, XJ's, and CJ's. Loved them all, but really only miss one.

CMS3900
04-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a 94 Wrangler Sahara that is my DD, a 91 Wrangler that is a joint project with a friend, a 91 Cherokee thats about to hit the road, a 47 CJ-2a that runs like a top that we use on our farm (needs a frame to be street legal in DE). I used to own and drive 2 Comanche Pickups which were cool as hell. And right now for parts in my yard I have a 93 Grand Cherokee, a 89 Grand Wagoneer, and a 72 CJ-5.

My whole rover ownership started due to jeeps, I had all these ideas I wanted to pack into a CJ or a wrangler, and it just was not possible due to size and weight, and I had always admired the old series rovers, and I found one at a good price and bought it. Its a better platform for what I want to do, it has a bit more charm then a random jeep, and hell... I drive like the mailman. :P
Since then my finance and I bought a 96ish DI SE7 which as been a pain in the arse compared to a Cherokee or a series rover, I'm about two steps away from stripping it of all electronics BS and finding manual seats and hand cranks for the sunroofs, and put a carb on it lol....
Its a R title Disco, how do I say, parts were "exonerated" from it in NYC, and it was not put back together very well at all. I paid way under book for it so I cant complain that bad, but still... havening seats that only move one way is a pita.... and that list goes on...

I know this was a bit OT for the thread, sorry to rant
Peace-
Morgan

jason
04-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I know this was a bit OT for the thread, sorry to rant
Peace-
Morgan

Morgan,
OT is fine with me. Besides, I asked. My 84 CJ-7 was the greatest 4x4 I ever had until I got my classic. Being able to do the same things on the trail as my jeep, yet still be able to cruise home in comfort doing 80 on the highway, and being able to have a conversation without screaming, was the clincher for 1st place in my book. And I also agree the commanche is a kick ass little truck.;)
Jason

Rob P
04-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Ah, the under book value Disco, may they always take us from home to trail and back again. I know mine has been altered slightly. ABS is non existant, Cruise isn't there, auto-dimming rear view mirror is gone, strange screws in the odometer cluster along with a crack in the lense.

Mine has no power seats and no sunroofs but I did get leather. Previous owner was a 16 year old girl who "adjusted" the drivers mirror on another car.

CMS3900
04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Heheh, Yea guys, This disco was 984 bucks, my friend bought it and then his wife got on him so he sold it to me for 2K, but he did a lot of work to it, oil pan gasket, tires, lights and so forth, but I hear you... the adjustable proportioning valve is on its way... and if it wasn't my womans car it would stripped down to bear essentials . At least the important things work. like 4wd :P
The yelling does get old, but a friend of mine got a hell of a deal on a hard top for me, and I can carry on conversation now... lol
Yea, my friends rag on me now that I have to back plan my driving due to my 55 mph max speed in my series but all I have to do is remind them who gets stuck and who pulls them out when there stuck.... heheheh