PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover disease has hit yet again!

crazyfish
07-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I have a 66 109 SW that is quickly approaching everything being replaced in two years. Just painted it and it drives well. My friend has a nice 88 all done up with a nice fresh paint job.

So...... we found a lightweight. Neither of us have space to park it, let alone work on it. Our wives are tired of us spending time, money and social time on our rovers.

So.... we bought it. It was at his house for awhile, now stuffed in my non-existant space next to the garage. I have to back it out, to get my 109 in the space behind it. ( if you've been to my house , it makes sense )

So.... ( ah ha! ) the question... it's been leaking brake fluid at a phenominal rate. It's a 1974 series III model lightweight. I fill the plastic tank, the back half, which I had assumed was the brake part. Never really looked for brake leaks as I'm just stripping the paint off.

Got home, started up the lightweight, and NO clutch. Turned it off and here I am.

Now, I'm thinking it must be the clutch slave cylinder... Quick thoughts before I dive in? Is it the same as a regular series III clutch slave cylinder?

Oh and hell, while we are here, I live in Doylestown PA 18901 and need a welder for the 109 front frame horns, and two outriggers for the lightweight. Anyone know of a great welder in the area?

Thanks for your time

Randy
07-21-2005, 08:46 AM
You should ask that Zen guy that writes for LRM about what to do....

Alvin
07-22-2005, 01:25 AM
I think that Zen guy needs as much help as Crazyfish does!

LC Rover
08-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Sean:
How is the work progressing on the LTWT. ie master and slave for the clutch. Just curious, did Mr. Murphy rear his ugly head? LC :rolleyes:

crazyfish
08-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Got the clutch slave and master installed with out much problem, Evan showed up and plumbed it correctly. Starting to smoke a bit on start up, so going to take a look at that next. Runs really nice, just getting a bearing for the steering column to pass inspection, then some time playing!

New paint is going on this weekend.... It's going to be bold!

LC Rover
08-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I vote for red ( Flat, does not show all the imperfections as much), with white rims. I have seen a few painted LTWT's painted with combo and it looks sharp. I am off the week of the 15th, if you want to take it out and put it through it's paces, give me a call. Maybe the G-Wagen might want to tag along as well. Later LC

Alvin
08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
New paint is going on this weekend.... It's going to be bold!

Bold! I can just imagine how the guys on the other side of the pond are going to pick on Mr. Zen if he doesn't pick a "proper" series color. I agree with LC Rover. I think red would be an awesome color, too.

crazyfish
08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Mr Zen is only published in the US version, so I'm pretty safe. Besides, if you can't make fun of me, what's the point? lol

Looks like we are going with blinding yellow.....

LC Rover
08-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Point of interest, "yellow" is a proper color for a LT. The RAF painted some of thier LTWT yellow with a sign on the back "FOLLOW ME" to guide planes around the air strips. Don't ask me how I know. LC Rover

jason
08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
No, really, how do you know?