PDA

View Full Version : Trials

rvrsrvc
04-17-2007, 08:34 PM
How about having a trials event at Rausch Creek? For example, some trails are long enough to have 10 stages on it's length. Competition levels could vary depending on the type of vehicle-a blue or green trail for stock or light modified; blues and blacks for heavy modified; use it as a fund raiser? what are potential logistic difficulties?
Thoughts?

jason
04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Trevor, check out Derek and Frank's ideas in post 123 and 124 in robesonia 4/15. To add to that, we could strategically locate orange cones on the trail that have to be avoided instead of canes. Knock over a cone, lose a point. There would be no debate since you can touch and rub a cone without consequence, but knock it over and it's obvious. Some cones could be placed in such a way that it would be more advantageous to knock one over in the beginning to get a better line, but you would only be penalized for the one you knocked over. Jamie was saying that OK 4WD in Stewartsville is having an open house in June(?) and offering a free pass to Rausch the next day. We could even have a Rover vs. Jeep trials event to raise some $$, since it would probably be a big turn-out day.

derekdilks
04-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I like this idea, whatever I can do to help out let me know....

solihull109
04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Trevor, check out Derek and Frank's ideas in post 123 and 124 in robesonia 4/15. To add to that, we could strategically locate orange cones on the trail that have to be avoided instead of canes. Knock over a cone, lose a point. There would be no debate since you can touch and rub a cone without consequence, but knock it over and it's obvious. Some cones could be placed in such a way that it would be more advantageous to knock one over in the beginning to get a better line, but you would only be penalized for the one you knocked over. Jamie was saying that OK 4WD in Stewartsville is having an open house in June(?) and offering a free pass to Rausch the next day. We could even have a Rover vs. Jeep trials event to raise some $$, since it would probably be a big turn-out day.
I know the general manager at OK 4WD very well, I'll give him a ring and talk to him...he has a couple of sick jeeps...I also raced with him at Line Mtn...good bunch of people!

solihull109
04-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I just spoke with OK 4WD , they seem to be VERY cool with a trials , but it's MAY 6th...and since they are moving into a new building, they're short for time, however, if we could set up the course and officiate...they would really dig the competition....they're expecting a HUGE turnout.....so,,anybody in...I am, who else.We'll need to get this around rather quickly, so we'll need to know who's in.

jason
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I am 90% in. I'll see if I can round up some cones. If anyone is going the day before, it would be a good idea to scout and mark cone placement. To keep it simple to begin with, perhaps just 5 or 6 designated trails and sign-up on location. If OK could provide some sort of prize for the winner, I'm sure I could come up with something decent as well.

solihull109
04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Groovy, I'll talk to OK and see what they can do for a prize. I can give away some protection...sliders?

flippedrover
04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a cool idea.

derekdilks
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I'll throw in a nice bottle of wine, bottle of scotch, and a few fine cigars.... And a D-ring I won at Robesonia

jason
04-20-2007, 05:36 PM
My 90% just turned into a 1%.:( Seems we already have a "family event" on the calendar for that day. I'm really bummed. It's been two 1/2 years since I was at Rausch, and I really like the idea of a 1/4 mile long trials course battling jeeps. If you guys are planning on going Saturday and camping overnight, I could manage that.

solihull109
04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I spoke with OK 4WD yesterday.....they really dig the trials idea, but they can't provide ANY time to help set up, Jason mentioned he was probably a no go....since no one else has spoken out/up...I'll assume it's safe to let OK know the trials won't be happening.....However, you all should know that the Jeep guys are already talking a TON of trash that the"pretty yuppie land rover guys" are too afraid to compete with a "REAL" off road rig in the woods, and that they are too embarrassed to get thier butts handed to them...end quote.....just so everyone knows what's being said about Rovers...:(
I would LOVE to shut them up....

sven
04-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Carey, you should fight those Jeep guys. :p

solihull109
04-26-2007, 09:15 AM
WOW....feel the love of this group.....maybe the jeep guys are right...when the going gets tough...the yuppies just back down....:rolleyes:

galen211
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
lol, yeah I'm a yuppie. What gave it away? My hound dog that barks at every thing that passes my house or the rusty Ford pick up in my driveway.

solihull109
04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
lol, yeah I'm a yuppie. What gave it away? My hound dog that barks at every thing that passes my house or the rusty Ford pick up in my driveway.
Yup...that's what I said ...I tried telling him that I don't know any "yuppies" in this group...but you know, they drive Jeeps, therefore "they know everything";)

galen211
04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
What "group" are we talking about exactly?

solihull109
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I meant to the "ROVERS" club as a whole, from the folks I've met so far...everyone drives thier trucks....however, you have to remember the source of the comments...they drive JEEPS:D , the General manager at OK is a cool cat, he could care less what you drive, as long as you're in the woods. I've raced with him for awhile, and he has 2 of the most radical Jeeps I've ever seen....and they look mild to the untrained eye....he said it would be really cool if we did a trials...he has never done one, but maybe next time.

Joe
04-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I could make it if an "older Yuppie" qualifies!

jason
04-26-2007, 08:23 PM
The last time I competed in a trials, I spilled my Cabernet, my CD player skipped, and I got a little dirt on my brushed wool carpet. Needless to say, my driver was rather upset, as I had requested he tend to the stains on his day off. Good help is so hard to find.:rolleyes:

solihull109
04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Wow Jason, just as I suspected about you...since we've never met, I feel as though you're EXACTLY like I thought...:D ....the truth finally comes out....your Rangie was getting "detailed" all this time, and I thought you were turning a wrench on it....wow, I's guess theys didn't learn me none 2 well.

jason
04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I really have nothing against Jeeps. Or Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, etc. I've even had many more Jeeps than Rovers in the past, and actually found them easier to work on. However, you can't comfortably take a family of 5 on a road trip in a CJ, and you can't play at Rausch with an SJ. I do remember the first time I took my classic to Paragon and had to drive through the sea of jeeps being driven by typical redneck hillbillies talking a bunch of crap.:mad: Can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:

solihull109
04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Personally...I feel, you should wheel what you have...heck, you should see some of the places I've taken a Subi outback!......you know, I almost tried to fit a set of really small Super Swampers TSL's on a Subi once.....err, did I say that out loud?:p