PDA

View Full Version : Brake shoe adjuster screws? Among other issues.

superpowerdave
04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Okay ... my swivel ball seal is blown, and since I've had the parts sitting in the garage for a few weeks now, I figured I'd get around to putting it all together.

So I grab my well-read copy of the Green bible, chock the tires, loosen the lugs and get working ... and I got as far as step three - removing the hub.

Since I've owned the truck, despite all of the other repairs, I haven't had a need to take a good look at the hubs, and so they've been largely ignored. But today, while trying to get things handled, I notice the three 'brake adjuster screws' mentioned in the Bible are chewed up beyond repair ... just stripped to crap.

I manage getting one of them off, but the other two have resisted all of my methods. Any suggestions? Above that though, is this the only way to get to the seal?

Round two ... head gasket replacement, manifold replacement, carb rebuild two weeks ago, has been running great since then ... but today while driving I got a weird backfire, a loud "POP" kind of backfire ... the kind of backfire that sends police officers and soldiers ducking for cover. This continues, and she runs like a dog with a broken leg, until I pull the choke out about halfway. Some of the pops actually sound like they are coming from the rear of the engine, and not just the tail pipe end.

Running rich? Something loose? I'm all up for ideas! I leave for the sand box in less than three weeks and the truck needs to be running before I deploy!!!

crazyfish
04-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Drill the screws out and never replace them.

As for the backfire, I drove 1/2 way to MAR with the choke half way - even though the knob was all in the way in. It was stuck near the carb.

superpowerdave
04-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Never replace them? Really? I'll bite ... what the heck are they for? Aside from keeping me from completing the 'to do' list?

I'll check the choke at the carb in the morning, see what turns up.

pbmonk
04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I've had the hubs etc off more times than I care to recall.... But have never come across a "brake adjuster screw". Where are they located? Do you mean the screws that hold the drum on the hub? If they are the problem I'd be inclined to agree with Sean's comment (pattern drums come with just one screw hole very often). Or do you mean the snail cams?

Peter

superpowerdave
04-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Pete-

They are located on the hub themselves, in between the lugs themselves. They are large, flat-headed countersunk screws ... I was pretty sure the Bible called them brake adjuster screws, but I've been wrong before.

Evan
04-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Leave them in .. Get an impact driver and a # 4 slotted blade with Kroil or PB blaster . Order new screw from the vendor of your choice and re install with lots-o-neverseize .. They make it easier to seat the drum and keep it seated especially with new shoes ..

IMHO.. use caution as I'm not an expert.. don't try this at home, ever

superpowerdave
04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Okay, finished the seal job, all is good so I'm happy with that. Finally found the screws I needed at Lowe's ... needed to be trimmed some, but found despite. Not really sure if they were necessary or not, but I replaced them regardless. I did not impact them in though, just a little more than hand-tight. I think an impact wrench was the reason I had issues from the get-go.

Anyway, everything works great now, except now I've got a pull to the left. Keep in mind the left tire was never even removed, only the drivers side was.

Evan
04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Impact driver (Type that you hit with a hammer) is usually for removal .
As I said above I'm not an expert..... I'm still trying to figure out how to get my CDL to lock.

Rob P
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my CDL to lock.

Very few members even have their commercial drivers liscense so it really shouldn't need locked.

crazyfish
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Check your ECU Evan, on a Series II it's under the drivers seat.

Frank84
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I hope the CDL didn't get damaged when he hit that tree.