04-28-2007, 03:48 PM
looking to set up a shop day to put up a new
headliner in my 95 disco.
start in the morning then buy lunch anyone interested
need to set up time and date
mike stevens

tikicar
04-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Mike. If you do it on a Sunday I can come. I work the rest of the days. May is basically open except for the 20th. I have done a few hundred headliners. It isn't a big deal. You have my email. I can tell you where to get material and what glue to get if you need supplies. Later, Scott 97 XD

87xj95disco
05-04-2007, 08:00 PM
i have everything just need to set up time and date.
got it off ebay for 95 bucks everything i need .
thanks will let you know when i have a chance
later mike

Tom109
05-05-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm about to do the same project. I saw a D1 last year with a painted headliner, and ever since I've been thinking of doing the same. It really looked nice and clean, and matched the A-pillar covers.

Tom P.

87xj95disco
05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
nice make sure you take pics when finished or we can have a shop
day to do yours then.

mike stevens

tikicar
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi Mike, Just let me know what day you are thinking of. It really won't take long. I have a brush I use to remove the old foam from the headliner board. Also a glue gun is good to repair the board if it is developing cracks that you can't see untill the old material is off. Make sure you have at least two cans of spray adheasive. You need to use plenty of glue to prevent it falling again. The foam will dry out eventually but having it well glued will make it last. I have seen cars I did 20 years ago still holding up well. For glue 3M general trim adheasive works the best. It has an adjustable nozzel . You have to be careful with some spray glues. They come out too wet and are not airated enough. Then when you push the headliner down you get glue bleedthrough and get a wet glue stain. Get a couple of new razor blades. It is amazing how fast this foam backed material will dull razor blades. It is a good idea to keep the material rolled up to prevent it from getting wrinkles. Scott 97Xd

87xj95disco
05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
will let you know when it will be done.
thanks
mike stevens

Rob P
05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Get a couple of new razor blades.

And Band-Aids. Safety First. Seriously, be careful. That spray adhesive is flammable as Hades and is also not good on lungs.

tikicar
05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the concern Rob, I don't think we were planning on spraying the adheasive into lighters or juggling the razor blades. :D As far as the fumes. As long as you spray it in a well ventalated area you usally don't even smell it. And as big as that headliner is you don't have any choice but a large area. Now after it is in the car. If you keep it closed up. You might smell it for a few days after installation. Everything can kill you. Live more, worry less. :cool: Scott 97xd

Rob P
05-11-2007, 08:08 PM
You just never know. Always keep sharp scissors next to the bed.

87xj95disco
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
we are just putting up a new head liner not building a spaceship

lol
thanks for the safty tips.

Rob P
05-14-2007, 08:27 PM
remind me of what my coworker says, "We aint building swiss watches, just garage doors!"

tikicar
08-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey Mike, Did you still want to do this or did you do it yourself already. I think I saw you in your cherokee at the Jeep meet the other week in York. Later, Scott

87xj95disco
08-17-2007, 07:30 PM
still didnt do it yet and yes i was at the jeep shop in york
when is the best time for you to stop by
thanks mike

tikicar
08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Sundays are my only day off but I could come over some evening and we could do it also while we still have evening daylight. I liked the Land Rover recovery vehicle sticker on your jeep. Thats why I was sure it was yours. Everyone else had the H2 versions on their rigs. Scott

87xj95disco
08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
lol
just put a h2 h3 recovery on the back at the show
ok we can do some evening when its not raining will set up time
thanks
mike