PDA

View Full Version : Name That Noise

Rob P
05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
It's time for everyone's favorite Land Rover Game:

Name That Noise

I'll be your Host tonight.

Tonight's mystery noise is coming from my drivetrain. There is a click/pop sound, kinda dull and metallic coming from the underneath when I am braking and I get down to about 10-5 mph. It only happens once and I have to speed up fairly fast to "reset" the noise maker. I am familiar with CV joints from front wheel drive cars and it isn't that kind of noise I don't think. Driving at hard steering lock either right or left makes no "extra" noise. No drivetrain slippage is noticable.

tikicar
05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Could be a worn bushing in the Pan Hard Rod or radius arms making a poping sound. Mine does it once in awhile. Scott 97xd

roverthen
05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
I also am having something similar to what you are describing. My noise is coming from the rear suspension a-arm. I replaced every bushing except the two from that arm. I will probably replace the ball joint too.

sven
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Its your CVs. Mine did the same exact thing. You can try checking the swivel oil level and/or changing it. Hopefully your D1 has the swivel oil drain/fill plugs, some later ones didnt.

Rob P
05-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Thank you all for your support. I'l look around underneath for wiggly radius arms and for drain fill plugs on my swivel housings.

rvrsrvc
05-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Another thought is just loose stuff. For example, the tightening torque on the nuts for the radius and trailing arms is around 130 ft lbs! I often see movement on the front radius arms at the axle that make that kind of noise. There's 4 of those babies.
Same with the trailing arms at the rear axle. When they get loose, the rovers tend to change direction when getting on or off the throttle.
And, the steering box mounts and support rod. They can also make noises when slightly loose, but that's usually a turning noise as opposed to on/off throttle.
Ooh, and check the driveshaft to flange bolts!
OOh, ooh, and the panhard rod bolt especially at the axle end.
Fortunately, most of that stuff has nylock nuts so even if they loosen enough to allow movement, they wont fall off!

Rob P
05-28-2007, 09:38 PM
ok, laid underneath of my rover tonight and saw a square headed fill plug looking thing on my swivel housing. Is this the fill plug? I didn't open it up but if I did what should I find inside it? Grease or thick oil something akin to Bar and Chain lube? And I assume fairly full at that?