PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day-Rausch Creek?

galen211
05-15-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm going to Stuart's place Saturday but was thinking of camping at RC Sunday night and doing the trails Monday.

Anybody interested?

sven
05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I might be interested, but my truck wont be ready by then. Maybe I'll co-pilot?

flippedrover
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
crap working that night.

rvrsrvc
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd be interested in camping with Galen.

solihull109
05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Huh.......boyfriend?........:confused: :D

spechols
05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Huh.......boyfriend?........:confused: :D
Chill out mounting man - they are normal:D
You, however, will need your own tent!

Rob P
05-15-2007, 09:59 PM

If you woke up from camping with Vaseline on your posterior would you tell anyone? Want to go camping?

Seriously.......Where is Rauch Creek geographically speaking and how far from York, PA. (looks like hour and a half and 72 miles on mapquest) Is this something I could do with my GF/SO (Same person, don't get funny) and Baby or is it best to do as a solo event first time around? I never did get to do any 4wheelin on spring robesonia other than the parking area.

cboy
05-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm up for the Monday run. I'll just head over in the morning from NJ.

rvrsrvc
05-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Exit 104 on 81. Less than 15 miles from the 81/78 split. The area is called Tremont or Tower City. No facilities on the property.
Takes me about 45 minutes for the 45 miles from Hershey.
SO's, wives, GF's; most of us can mind our manners, at least as long as the ladies can.
I haven't brought Max (2.5 years) out with me yet and Andrea is more fond of the weekend B&B off roading than spending a day wandering around Rausch.
I guess it depends on the child. Mine would want to get out of the Rover every time I do, then need to be strapped back in, etc.
The last time up there, I was with Randy Williams and we cruised over many of the blues and blacks (except Rock Creek, that took some time) because it was so dry. Wet can make it slow going.
Usually I bring my doggie.
I strongly encourage a minimum of a front diff guard and that someone should bring a spare tie rod unless everyone is running a beefed up piece like RTE.

jason
05-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I strongly encourage a minimum of a front diff guard and that someone should bring a spare tie rod unless everyone is running a beefed up piece like RTE.

Amen and amen. And if you do have the beefed up 1" stainless steel steering rod, try not to winch against it. :o

Rob P
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Andrea is more fond of the weekend B&B off roading than spending a day wandering around Rausch.

Thanks Trevor, that answered my question. Nicole is a 4xwheeling novice and would be better suited to the NJ cleanup type four wheel adventure I think. Besides, my non-beefed unit sounds out of place at Rauch. Perhaps next year..........

jason
05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Don't worry Rob, I wouldn't let you take a stocker there! Too many horror stories myself, but it is a valuable lesson in the logistics of AAA and local trucking!

rvrsrvc
05-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Better safe then $orry. So many rocks, so little metal on the diff cover.
There is a 101 area that is ideal for novices-wide open lanes, reasonable obstacles. I've let my 14 year old drive it with and without me in the car. (We were by ourselves as nobody, I repeat nobody, showed up on New Years Day and Lynn let us out by ourselves.)

Or, close-ish to home and if the weather's good, why not camp out with some like minded individuals and give it a go?
I think Derek may come with his teenage son Andrew, Andrea may also bring our 2 1/2 y.o. Max if the weather is decent, and my behaviour can be childish, so there could be lots o' kids around!

galen211
05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I am out as I have found a large hole forming in the superior British steel of my frame behind the rear spring hanger.:mad:

Some day I will see what RC is all about.

rvrsrvc
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Galen, I take it you see this as a problem? By having a lighteneing hole in the frame, your Rover weighs less and therefore will not crash as heavily upon the rocks. Brilliant!

rvrsrvc
05-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey, mountain man, got any of your junk running? I'm sure if you ask Derek nicely, you could borrow the D2 as long as you brought it home in similar condition-mirrorless, dented, dirty but with all of the wheels pointed in the right direction!

solihull109
05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Some of my junk is running, but not trail worthy yet, still waiting for my springs....how nice would I need to talk to Derek?....lol

derekdilks
05-23-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm in for Monday, I'll be there at 9:00. My son Andrew (12) in tow.

Broke back Mountain boy, you're welcome to the D2, I like to see it in action just be gentle with her. She may look super tough and rugged, and is for the most part, but does after all still have stock drive line and axles, which proudly I've never snapped, twisted, popped or otherwise mutilated.

Can't wait!!!:D

galen211
05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Broke back Mountain boy

The funniest thing I have ever read on this forum!!

solihull109
05-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm in for Monday, I'll be there at 9:00. My son Andrew (12) in tow.

Broke back Mountain boy, you're welcome to the D2, I like to see it in action just be gentle with her. She may look super tough and rugged, and is for the most part, but does after all still have stock drive line and axles, which proudly I've never snapped, twisted, popped or otherwise mutilated.

Can't wait!!!:D
Oh. don't worry...I drive with ALL right foot input!....I'll take it easy on the little sheep...
thanks anyway, I just can't take someone else's rig off road...I wouldn't feel right about it...thanks though....

solihull109
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
The funniest thing I have ever read on this forum!!
Yup, this is a first...I'm speechless, I don't have a comeback or wise-arse comment to follow.....BRAVO Derek...I'm still laughing 20 minutes after my first reading.......priceless!

rvrsrvc
05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Technically, I think it was a hip, not his "back".

rvrsrvc
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Derek, I honestly thought Andrew was a little older, certainly for how mature he behaves.
Good on ya, mate!

galen211
05-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Technically, I think it was a hip, not his "back".

Are you serious? Have you not heard of the movie Broke Back Mountain?

spechols
05-23-2007, 04:47 PM
But NOW we know how he broke his hip.:D

rvrsrvc
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Heard of it, never saw it.

derekdilks
05-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Heard of it, never saw it.

I tried to watch it, got all the way to the "tent" scene. Sorry not for me, not that there's anything wrong with that...

derekdilks
05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
OK so who's in?

Trevor
Derek
Randy?
Carey?

Rob P
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Fold, I'm out. I'll have to bluff my way through some other event.

flippedrover
05-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Man i need to get out more. I'm free Tuesday if anyone wants to go play.

rvrsrvc
05-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Today was my last day to get out for a little wheelin' until this D90 project is done.
So I've blocked out the time, arranged for sitters over the next few weeks and was all set to start reassembling this afternoon, after a morning run at Rausch.
At 11pm last night, we get a phone call that ends up with us admitting Andrea's dad (my main sitter) to the Hershey Med Center- he's fine but having an issue with muscle proteins-so obviously things have gone slightly off center.
I was able to reach Derek but I didn't see that anyone else was going.
So, sorry if ya went and got stood up!
Trevor

Rob P
05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your family health troubles. Hope it all gets better.