PDA

View Full Version : What happened to 3rd and 4th?

scatterling
05-23-2007, 12:01 PM
... so I'm driving home yesterday and pull away from a stop light. First and second shift fine but no matter what I do it won't shift into 3rd or 4th. Lets just say its SO much fun driving at 33mph with the overdrive engaged in second, the normally quiet 2.25 :D screaming, the rest of the way home.

I have noticed lately that when I am stopped, it sometimes (seldom) doesn't want to shift into first. The fluid level is fine, it isn't making any weird noises.
Any suggestions? HELP!!

galen211
05-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Check the shifter forks at the top of the tranny. Third and Fourth are one piece so that may have something to do with it. Look over the springs and detents that are in the top cover.

This is the best place to start and it doesn't require pulling the trans.

Rob P
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I'll agree with Galen on this one, Shift fork trouble it sounds like. Are Series trannys top loaders or do they have some linkage going from the shifter to the transmission?

scatterling
05-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Ok... I finally got the #$%@&*^ seat box out of the truck (the captive nuts that hold the seat belt brackets on the rear sheared off - had to modify a wrench to get them out!!)

I found a piece of a flat clip in the top of the gear box, sitting in the 3rd/4th syncro. It looks like it should fit under one of the rollers (?) It is broken. The forks on all the selectors look fine.
Any suggestions? Do I need to pull the gearbox? I still can't get it into 3rd or 4th, maybe something is wedged?
My camera is at work, I'll pick it up and take a few shots if that would help explain.

Everyone have a great Memorial weekend!!

Ken Heaton
05-26-2007, 11:09 AM
There are flat clips that actually hold the syncros in place, maybe one of those broke off, that might explain why you can't get it into gear. It sounds like a syncro problem.

If you get a picture I should be able to identify it. I have parts from two transmissions all scattered about.

It sounds rather terminal.

Ken

scatterling
05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
hopefully you can make out the broken clip. i'm assuming the gearbox needs to come out. should it be "rebuilt"?
do I need to look for a reconditioned gearbox? When I drained the transfer case I also found a small piece of a tooth from a gear in the bucket - maybe transfer case needs to be looked at as well?

Ken Heaton
05-28-2007, 11:14 AM
What you are looking at is one half of part no. RTC1956, detent spring, synchronising clutch. It appears to have broken in half, there are three of these in the syncro housing. That would explain why you can't get into third or fourth gear. Transfer cases take a beating as well. I found all sorts of loose metal in the bottom of mine.

As far as rebuilding it yourself, my recommendation is if it is an early unit, Suffix A, B or C then I would not. Suffix A transmissions were really bad even when new. They were just too weak. I got a rebuilt Suffix D, the latest one from Atlantic British. George at Rovers South may even have some new units in stock.

It for sure has to come out of the vehicle.

scatterling
05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks Ken, I'll start making calls in the morning. ( the gearbox I have now is a "B" suffix)

Ken Heaton
05-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Good luck,
It takes time to find a decent unit.
Ken