PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Series

oscar
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
People whom I consider quite knowledgeable tell me that towing a Series truck four on the road, even with the transfer case in neutral will lead to damaged innards in the drivetrain. Others think that hogwash..... Anyone care to comment on this?

crazyfish
06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Peter Reed tows his with no problems. Talk to Evan. I think you put it in 4th also.

oscar
06-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Evan is a person I consider quite knowledgeable, if you get my drift.

pbmonk
06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
OK so I don't know the answer and have never tried to do what you ask but reality has never stopped me from having an opinion.

The DEFENDER manual says:
1) Release the steering lock (!)
2) Select neutral in gearbox and transfer gearbox
3) Secure tow rope.....
4) Release the parking brake
Is this relevant to a series? Most likely not.

Tom Bache used to flat tow his S1, but I am fairly sure he had the innovative solution of having free wheeling hubs on all 4 wheels. I suggest to ask him.

Peter

rmuller
06-21-2007, 11:03 PM
On at least one of Eric Choy's Series' there is actually a plaque inside with instructions of how to flat tow it.. I believe it was transfer case in neutral, transmission in 4th

galen211
06-22-2007, 07:20 AM
I have flat towed mine several times but I unlock the free wheeling hubs in front and disconnect the drive shaft in the back.

The problem in towing is the damage that can occur to the transmission. That is why you put it in fourth gear so that it still circulates oil to avoid burning up.

Remove the connection between the tc/trans and the road and towing will be no problem.

oscar
06-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Some input from across the pond:

http://nhua.co.uk/smf_1-0-5/index.php?topic=13565.0

galen211
06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Some input from across the pond....

http://nhua.co.uk/smf_1-0-5/index.php?topic=13565.0

Like I said, keep the tc/trans disconnected from the ground and life is good.

I didn't realize that bit about the tc being in 4wd when in neutral, that was interesting to learn and makes sense for the handbrake.

scatterling
06-24-2007, 08:34 PM
found this photo in an eBay listing...clears things up

oscar
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
clears things up

Hmmm, for THAT particular vehicle..... There's still too much ambiguity here.

The Instruction Manual....(when all else fails) recommends putting vehicle in 4wd LOW for heavy loads when parked, or when on steep hill. It remarks that THEN the parking brake applies to all fours. This makes sense. Parking brake on all fours with TC in neutral does not....to me. Of course some experimenting with a floor jack could shed light here......

oscar
06-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Shortly afterwards, Oscar returns from the Barn and excitedly exclaims:

Believe in the power of SCIENCE....after jacking up the front end I can confirm that 4wd is engaged with TC in neutral. Seeing is believing!

I now also know that something is dragging in my left front wheel......:(

scatterling
06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I now also know that something is dragging in my left front wheel......:(

....see, isn't owning a series so much fun, new little hurdles at every #%$@#& turn. :D Enjoy!

speaking of which, I'm off to the chariot to remove my front prop-shaft that apparently decided to "unmake" itself on my drive home. Yay for Land Rovers

Peter
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I've flat towed it all over PA. No problem. If I go for long distances I disconnect the drive shafts.

GrFa
07-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Mine was towed with the TC in 2wd, front hubs unlocked, front tires on a dolly, gearbox in neutral and it locked the rear tires on the highway (SCARY).

I would recommend locking hubs on all four wheels and unlocking them for towing. OR get a drivetrain that hasn't been botched already, then the LR approved TC in neutral/GB in 4th may just work but only for flat towing.

If towing with a dolly I guess disconnecting the prop shaft is the best idea then?

oscar
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
If towing with a dolly I guess disconnecting the prop shaft is the best idea then?

Yup... I guess it's the safe way....still not convinced of anything in this discussion.....other than what I proved myself.