PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Range Rover

oscar
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I need to tow a Range Rover, 1985 Classic. I've rented a dolly, so the front will be in the air. Does anyone know what the book says about leaving the rears on the ground? Transfer case in neutral OK? Or do I need to disconnect the prop shaft? If so, what size spanners do I bring, how many nuts/bolts and where?

Don't have a green bible for this thing yet.

rvrsrvc
06-25-2007, 01:20 PM
The driveshaft bolts should be 9/16" (14mm) but can be cumbersome if you can't rotate the driveshaft.
Another option is to remove the rear half shafts. 17mm bolt heads, withdraw the half shafts and stick a rag down the center of each spindle to keep dust out, gear oil in.
How long has it been sitting? Do the rear wheel bearings seem fit for a trip? How long do you have to drive it?
(Just trying to think of the things that could make the tow "eventful")

oscar
06-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the comeback.....I'm happy there is no long technical dissertation associated with disconnecting the shaft.....

I'll bring a jack so I can rotate the rear wheels, and thus the shaft.

It has been sitting for a while....... I hope the bearings are up to it. Do I feel lucky? Do I? Events happen. I can always turn it around....:eek: Eh, about 375 miles.....

I hope the U-haul straps fit around the wheels......I'm bringing extra ratchet straps just in case, but that's not ideal.

Which makes me think....will it fit between the wells of a U-haul dolly? Could someone measure outside wheel to outside wheel for me? Thanks......

crazyfish
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
375 mlles is a long way to drag rust.

oscar
06-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Have faith my son....btw, how do you know it's rusty? Did you see my name somwhere? ;)

BTW, the question of whether one can put a Classic TC in neutral and then tow was not answered....anyone?

spechols
06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
From page 40 of the SIII owner’s manual:

“Towing the Land-Rover (on four wheels)
1. Set the main gearbox in neutral.
2. Set the transfer gearbox in neutral.
3. Set the ignition / steering lock key in position I or II to release the steering lock.
4. Ensure that four-wheel drive is disengaged (control lever fully up)).To disengage four-wheel drive, move the transfer lever to the ‘LOW’ position then back to neutral.
5. Secure the towing attachment to the vehicle.
6. Release the handbrake.”

It seems to me that the different stories we have all hear are a result of and land rover having a main gearbox and a transfer gearbox, hence it has TWO different neutrals with different results and many different applications.

Examples that make good sense:

When towing the rover, both gearboxes must be in neutral.

To run the PTO, engage the main gearbox (gearbox PTO 1st, hydraulic PTO 3rd) and set the transfer gearbox to neutral.

When parking on a slick steep slope, engaged transfer gearbox in low-range and apply the handbrake. If you handbrake is weak, engaged the main gearbox (usually1st or reverse)

To recover another vehicle with a PTO wench, engage the main gearbox (gearbox PTO 1st, hydraulic PTO 3rd) set the transfer gearbox in neutral and apply the handbrake (this will only hold the rear wheels). If you handbrake is weak, apply the brakes.

To recover another vehicle with a NON-PTO wench with the motor OFF, engaged transfer gearbox in low-range and apply the handbrake. If you handbrake is weak, be sure to engaged the main gearbox (usually1st or reverse).

To recover another vehicle with a NON-PTO wench with the motor ON, engaged transfer gearbox in low-range and apply the handbrake. Set the main gearbox in neutral.

To self-recover with a NON-PTO wench with the motor ON, engaged transfer gearbox in low-range with the main gearbox in 2nd and slip the clutch as needed.

To self-recover with a PTO wench, set the main gearbox (gearbox PTO 1st, hydraulic PTO 3rd), set the transfer gearbox in neutral DO NOT slip the clutch.

So – What does the "Range Rover" owner’s manual say?

oscar
06-26-2007, 01:07 PM
So – What does the "Range Rover" owner’s manual say?

Don't have one.....

Joe
06-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Do what I do, put it on a flatbed...AAA Plus @ 100 free miles/tow. Not bad for a few bucks/year! :D

jason
06-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I hope the U-haul straps fit around the wheels......I'm bringing extra ratchet straps just in case, but that's not ideal.

Which makes me think....will it fit between the wells of a U-haul dolly? Could someone measure outside wheel to outside wheel for me? Thanks......

Yes, it will fit the dolly. No, the straps will not. I know from experience.:o You will need to let out all of the air in the tires for the straps to fit the tire, and then it will still be pretty tight.
I like Joe's method, but if you can't hire a towing company to flatbed it, try finding a car trailer. I'm pretty sure Uhaul still rents them but they are very hard to find.
Another slick trick I've done is have a towing company load the truck into a 26' Ryder truck (usually charge $75 to load and unload) use ratchet straps and moving blankets to secure the vehicle, pray at least three times, and drive the truck home. Obviously, results may vary, but large moving companies do it every day.

oscar
06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
You can still rent car haulers from U-haul. I used one to bring Mr.Toad home from Baltimore. They're a less comfortable ride than a tow dolly for the towing vehicle. It's harder to get the tongue weight right, so the whole rig is more prone to oscillations.

It's all a moot point anyways. Seller called me last moment and says he can't find the title. Don't want the truck without a title.

On e-bay right now looking for trailers/tow dollies. I think that I "need" to own one if I stay in this racket......;)