PDA

View Full Version : Hub Nuts

galen211
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM
This may be a stupid question but I haven't had to do it yet......I rebuilt the brakes and put my hubs back on last night. The manual says to tighten the hub nuts and then use a gauge to get the correct end float. Is there a low tech way to do this? I don't really have a gauge handy and it seems there should be a simpler way?

Thanks,
Galen

scatterling
07-17-2007, 06:14 PM
....same question that I've been needing to ask. I really need to get my hubs to stop leaking sooner or later. hopefully someone reading this thread is a genius :D

solihull109
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
This may be a stupid question but I haven't had to do it yet......I rebuilt the brakes and put my hubs back on last night. The manual says to tighten the hub nuts and then use a gauge to get the correct end float. Is there a low tech way to do this? I don't really have a gauge handy and it seems there should be a simpler way?

Thanks,
Galen
Galen, give me a call....I don't feel like writing a book to explain it.
Do you have a set of feeler gauges?...that will work

sven
07-18-2007, 09:04 AM
It should be the same method as on a disco or RRC, right? Do it by feel...Tighten the hub nut as you spin the wheel. As soon as the wheel stops spinning, back off a little. Then check for freeplay in the hub, done!

solihull109
07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Exactamundo.....I didn't want to post that because someone would've ripped into me about it "not being exact"......but that's it. However, for the folks who have never turned wrenches for pay,...sometimes they might not understand the " by feel" technique:) ....so I didn't want to confuse anyone...