PDA

View Full Version : Official Rausch Shake and Bake Weekend thread

rvrsrvc
07-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Shake and Bake! Get it? Not a Talladega Nights reference, more along the lines of hot and rough terrain.
I've checked with Rausch and they have plenty of room for us on the 11th and 12th. New website is www.rc4x4.org
The base camp will be www.campawhilepa.com
They have an event scheduled for that weekend at the campground but they've told me they've never sold out. I would still recommend making reservations early.
I'll be at the campsite on Friday evening.
So, lets start making a list of definites and probables, one day or both, one night or two, should we have a semi-organised cookout and who would bring what.
Definite:
Trevor, son Tyler and dog Francis both nights, both days, to be carried around in chair and worshipped for coming up with this idea and therefore should have food thrown to him (not at him) as all great leaders come to expect.
Who else?

rmuller
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I am in for wheelin' on the 11th ... not sure if I'm going to camp on the 10th or not yet.. gotta talk to some people..

roverthen
07-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm planning on heading over Friday ,staying at the hotel overnight and wheel all day Saturday.

flippedrover
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll be there Friday thru Sunday. If a buddy of mine isn't using his kitchen in a trailer I'll see about bringing it. He's got THE SET UP. I'll even cook for the group too.

jason
07-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I doubt I will be able to get there Friday night, but Sat morn and then camp Sat night is a go. Are you getting one spot to share or are these actual individual campsites? Are adult beverages permitted? I can bring the portable grill for burgers and dogs on the trail, also.

cboy
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm in. Camping Friday night, not sure about Saturday night. I can bring a stove for beans or other canned goods.

rmuller
07-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Are adult beverages permitted?

Yes Jason, you can bring your prune juice.

rvrsrvc
07-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I reviewed the camp site website and didn't see any mention for or against alcohol.
I was going to see roughly how many we have for camping on either/both nights and see if the campground would give us an area together.
Don't forget to make your own reservations and I'll tell the campground that the group name is ROVERSclub.
They ask that we keep it to a campfire, not a bonfire!
Each camping site has a bar-b-que. Pit or what I don't know. I may go up on tomorrow or Saturday and have a look around.
Also, there is a stocked catch and release trout pond on the property.

rvrsrvc
07-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I wasn't planning on going back to the campground for lunch so food on the trail is a good idea. Burgers and dogs, macaroni/pasta/fruit salads trail side would be easy and slightly decadent.

jason
07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes Jason, you can bring your prune juice.

I was thinking Metimucil. That's how I roll.

rvrsrvc
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Stopped by the Campgrounds today. Nice facilities, well stocked store, nature trail, big pool, tent camping area is grouped together, some are carved out of the hillside, others on the edge of a nearly dry creek.

With small kids? Pick sites #157-#169 as they are away from the ledge to the creek.
There is likely to be some road traffic related noise-when I was there a number of compression brakes were in use by trucks on Rte 25 above the campground.
Series Rover? We'll let you get a head start up the big hill out of the campsite to 81!
Less than 7 miles to Rausch Creek via I-81. Haven't checked where following Route 25 away from 81 and the campground will lead us in relation to RC.

Plan to meet at Rausch 9am Saturday and 10am Sunday.

rmuller
07-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Can we drive our trucks right into the camp site? I'll probably end up sleeping my truck..

As of now, I plan on camping on Friday night, wheelin' saturday then headin out to a bachelor party afterwards.

rvrsrvc
07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, one can drive up to and into the individual camp sites. And if you take one along the creek, you could drive through.

pushngo
07-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Plan on arriving Sat am stay Sat nite but have to work on Sunday

flippedrover
07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Might be looking for a seat if I can get my hands on the Explorer and the kitchen in a trailer.

rvrsrvc
07-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I've got Tyler and the dog, and you've survived that combo before.
News flash: Bill and Molly Bettridge and sons are going to make an appearance with their new 2 days ago FJ Cruiser!

ini88
07-23-2007, 05:28 PM
News flash: Bill and Molly Bettridge and sons are going to make an appearance with their new 2 days ago FJ Cruiser!

Is it fine if i ask my brother to come too? he has a brand new FJ and needs to get out more! He is always asking me when the next wheelin trip is.

rvrsrvc
07-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Absolutely! We're a Land Rover club, but we ain't skeered.
There is a 101 section with lots of wide open spaces and steep hills to get comfortable with stock vehicles.
And there are a few trails that can increase the challenge over the 101 with out ripping parts off.
And, there is often bypasses.

ini88
07-24-2007, 01:02 AM
yeah i've been there before with him and he liked it a lot, but we were noobies so we didn't know where to go or really what the trucks were capable of. I will ask him and see if he would like to come. it would be nice to see 2 FJs out there :)

flippedrover
07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I've got Tyler and the dog, and you've survived that combo before.
Rock on

jason
07-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Trevor, did you make reservations yet? What site #'s are we asking for when we call? I don't know if I'm bringing the trailer or the tent yet.

rvrsrvc
07-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I didn't make reservations for the whole club, but if you call and say your with the Land Rover Club, we'll get grouped near each other.
They only have 20 or so tent campsites, and they are lined up on either side of the access road so we'll never be far apart.
I wouldn't take sites 157 or 158 due to having headlamps likely to sweep through one's tent as vehicles make a turn at the top of the hill.
Trailer sites are #100-136.110-125 are closer to teh top of teh hill and easier to get to the tent sites. 100,101, 114-116 look to have the same headlamp issue.
Basically, the camping area is laid out on a hairpin with the camper and tent sites close by. Walking out from the admin building after registering, look to the right and that's the general direction.

Frank84
07-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm going to make my camping reservation tomorrow.

Are there going to be two groups? My friend is joining the club and coming to Rausch. He just got a LWB classic. It's bone stock and his DD so he's not looking to damage it. Is there an "easy" group?

Jason - love the new avatar

Edit: Just noticed your series has bug eyes - cool!

rvrsrvc
07-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I sense that we are going to have a fair number of DD/stockers so we'll make plans accordingly. MAybe one level one day, or if the group sizes warrant it, we'll do both each day.
Nice thing about Rausch, 2 vehicles make a group.
Either way, we'll find a way to accomodate everybody.

Frank84
07-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Trevor - I'll let my friend know. I just made the reservation for friday and saturday nights at the campground (three people, two trucks). Just need to snail mail the $20 deposit.

jason
07-31-2007, 04:46 AM
Jason - love the new avatar

Edit: Just noticed your series has bug eyes - cool!

Thanks, and thanks. I thought it was time to pass on the official roversclub avatar and also show the world that I, too, have a rover problem.

jason
08-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Just made reservations for Friday and Saturday night. Can't wait!

flippedrover
08-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Looks like just a day trip for me.

rvrsrvc
08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, the weekend's almost here, the Disco is apart and probably not going to be finished. So, I could always take my Rangie. Either way, I'll be there Friday afternoon at the campsite.
Remember to pack lots of water for the days and your own meals for on the trail.
For Saturday night, I would think it best to bring your own but lets a make a point of dining together.

9am Saturday and Sunday at the Rausch Creek office.

My cell is 410.227.2523-good service at the park, don't know about the campground.
Campawhile's number is 570.682.8696

Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

jason
08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I will have the portable grill for the trail on Saturday. If you bring your own meat, you can borrow my flames. :)

flippedrover
08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
So does anyone happen to have a dust cap for a defender they want to sell me at Rausch this weekend? I seem to have lost one.

cboy
08-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Just reserved the campsite. Ryan, Jarek and I will be heading out after work tomorrow. I'm guessing we'll be at camp around 9pm or so.

pushngo
08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
So does anyone happen to have a dust cap for a defender they want to sell me at Rausch this weekend? I seem to have lost one.

Dust cap for what? Other than a Defender.

rvrsrvc
08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Well, we've had enough rain yesterday to cut down on a lot of the dust. Is that what you mean by "dust cap"?
I'm assuming Tyler is looking for the rubber dust boot over the drive flange? What do I win if I bring one?

flippedrover
08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, we've had enough rain yesterday to cut down on a lot of the dust. Is that what you mean by "dust cap"?
I'm assuming Tyler is looking for the rubber dust boot over the drive flange? What do I win if I bring one?
Ding ding ding. Umm... lunch.

ini88
08-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not going to make it. too much stuff going on this weekend. sorry guys.

rmuller
08-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Eric and I ended up wrenching late Friday night at Jarek's house so we weren't able to camp.. but we hit the road super early on Saturday and made it to Rausch at 9:00am for the meetup. There was a total of about 12-14 rigs.. a few RRCs, two D-90s, 2 D1s, our two D2s and a FJ Cruiser. The crowd ranged from a stock RRC to a D1 on 34s w/ dual ARBs ... so we decided to split it up into two groups.. 'mild' and 'wild' .. The wild group only consisted of 4 of us.. myself, eric, Randy (D1) and Tyler (D-90), our goal was to hit blues and some blacks. (Ratings go green,blue,black/blue,black,red) ...

Our first trail we hit was a new one at Rausch, I believe it's called "Hills and Bowls" .. as soon as you enter you're presented with 4 or 5 steep hill climbs/descents.. The angle was pretty intense, both my front and rear RTE bumpers were hitting the hills... With my new Detroit / TT / 4.11 gearing, I climbed the hills with ease... before I would have gotten half way up and spun my tires for a while. During one of the D-90's hill climbs, I got out to take a picture, and a rock came flying out and hit me square in the chest... not fun! Near the end of the trail there was a bowl/old riverbed.. some big boulders in there..

After that we decided to hit trail 5, which is a black with some red sections.. pretty large rocks here.. both Eric and I managed to come down on our RTE sliders and bend them upwards.. took a bit for me to get my driver side door to open.. Randy got some carnage on both rocks and trees.. Near the end of this is a almost vertical high rock climb rated as a red.. we opted not to try it and it was lunch time anyways so we met up with the rest of the group on the west side of the property..

After lunch we ran the 12's, which are rated as blues, has some nice sized rocky climbs, some mud and a creek crossing. We then went to 20, which is a black... some big rocks and sharp turns here.. During one of the obsticles, I was trying to make a sharp turn to avoid both a high rock on my left and a tree to my right.. I ended up slipping off of a rock with my rear passenger tire and leaned the rear passenger side door into a tree causing some major carnage on it... we finished that portion of the trail and decided to call it a night.

On the way home, my front diff decided to start making a lot of noise.. sounds like jiggling change or a tambourine... have to take it out sometime this week and figure out what's going on.

All in all it was a pretty wild day.. challenged myself to some more difficult trails and got my worst trail damage yet... but it's all in the risk of the hobby!

Some pics are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/njrover/Rausch811

pushngo
08-12-2007, 10:10 PM
That downhill looks a tad steeper in real life

Ya think Trevor

rmuller
08-12-2007, 10:24 PM
pics never do justice to the obstacles..

KevinNY
08-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Looks like fun, I'm going to have to get down to Rausch sometime.

Frank84
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I had an awesome time at Raush - special thanks to Trevor for organizing it, leading us, and fixing my bent track rod! Can't wait to go back!

sven
08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Looked like fun. Next time!

Someones D2 needs a door?

rvrsrvc
08-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, Randy, a downhill that's nearly too steep to walk, well that makes perfect sense to drive down. Stupid peer pressure. And I've done that one before but it always ranks high on the pucker factor.
Great weather, great fun, great people=great time. The camp ground was a hit with the young and older kids, Rausch wasn't terribly crowded although they introduce a few new check-in procedures in the parking lot with out a lot of tolerance for those unaware of the changes-those guys must have worked at Paragon to learn that skill!
Sunday had 5 Rovers- Strange Rover, 3 DI's and a Derek's D2. We stepped it up a bit hitting the hills and dips trail but skipping the bowl; 1 and it's off-camber hill climb, the ravine in and out of 1 with some deep water; the South Property for lunch and to play around Lake Christy; I tried Buried Treasure and stopped when the water in the Disco was 1/2 way up my calves. (Well, really, I was stoppped and THEN the water came in. Nice smell by the way. Oh, Tyler, I found the hub dust cap as it floated around the cabin.)
Nick and Matt kept going after that while Derek, Frank and myself called it a day.
Thanks to everyone who came out and was game to tryout Rausch 's optimistic trail classification.
Maybe we should try another weekend in September before the MAR?
Trevor

Frank84
08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe we should try another weekend in September before the MAR?
Trevor

I'm up for anything in mid/late september - just need to straighten my track rod and I'm good to go!

derekdilks
08-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah thanks Trevor for reserving my camp ground just so could not show up either night, but I had a blast Sunday, perfect day, weather was great, nothing was broken, just awesome! any pictures of Randy's door? hehehe, glad I'm not the only one.... Oh I just saw the pics on page 4, sorry I missed Saturday

flippedrover
08-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Figures it would float buy. Ryan sorry about the rock to the chest. My ankle is feeling a lot better today. When I got home Saturday night it was really stiff.

rmuller
08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Figures it would float buy. Ryan sorry about the rock to the chest. My ankle is feeling a lot better today. When I got home Saturday night it was really stiff.

No problems.. lil bit sore still, but it'll heal.. glad to hear the ankle is better...

(not only did we suffer body damage on our trucks, but we got some physical damage too haha)

jason
08-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I was the only one to break stuff in the "mild" group on Saturday.:eek: Twice, I might add. Elaine was not too thrilled, even though Bill and Trevor had the steering linkage fixed before I flipped the burgers. Yes, I cooked lunch while the "men" wrenched on my truck.:o Driving over my own exhaust system was interesting, too. For those of you keeping score:

Rausch Creek - 4

Jason - 0

We did make it home under our own power this time, so the miniscule shred of dignity I had left was still hanging on by a thread by the time we got home.

Thank you Trevor for organizing this trip. Camp-A-While is a great campsite, the kids and Elaine loved it. I'm sure we'll be back. It was nice seeing Molly and Bill again, too. That FJ was pretty impressive!

flippedrover
08-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I was the only one to break stuff in the "mild" group on Saturday.:eek: Twice, I might add. Elaine was not too thrilled, even though Bill and Trevor had the steering linkage fixed before I flipped the burgers. Yes, I cooked lunch while the "men" wrenched on my truck.:o Driving over my own exhaust system was interesting, too. For those of you keeping score:

Rausch Creek - 4

Jason - 0

We did make it home under our own power this time, so the miniscule shred of dignity I had left was still hanging on by a thread by the time we got home.

Thank you Trevor for organizing this trip. Camp-A-While is a great campsite, the kids and Elaine loved it. I'm sure we'll be back. It was nice seeing Molly and Bill again, too. That FJ was pretty impressive!
Drove over your own exhaust? Anyone have pictures of this?

pushngo
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah thanks Trevor for reserving my camp ground just so could not show up either night, but I had a blast Sunday, perfect day, weather was great, nothing was broken, just awesome! any pictures of Randy's door? hehehe, glad I'm not the only one.... Oh I just saw the pics on page 4, sorry I missed Saturday

Hey only minor scuffs on my rig I stayed in the middle of the trail.....to be safe...lol

flippedrover
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Anyone got a spare set of mounting screws for a defender mirror? I ordered a replacement arm from RDS and forgot to ask about the screws.

oscar
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
pics never do justice to the obstacles..

Same with waves......Looks like you guys had fun. Another reminder not to bring anything other thatn a pipe wrapped mudder.....:D

rvrsrvc
08-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Naw, just depends on the guide!
We had a LWB on Synchrones do everything the modded Rovers did on Saturday with only a minor bruise on the front diff.
I didn't hear any complaining from the general riff-raff about my trail choices, and I had my teenager remind me often that there was a stock Rover in our midst.

jason
08-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Trevor, the trail choices were great. I'm sure my downfall was overconfidence on the mild trails and not paying attention. Having sliders, diff guards, beefed steering rods, MT-R's and a winch tend to take your mind off of doing damage or getting stuck. I learned my lesson.:o

Frank84
08-16-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm sure my downfall was overconfidence on the mild trails and not paying attention.

Same problem here - i'm sure that is why i bent my track rod as well. I used to be so careful when driving my dad's truck.

rmuller
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
solutions to all our problems -- We just have to be like Randy and tow our rigs to the parks!

pushngo
08-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Or have AAA on speed dial so they are there when you get out of the trail

flippedrover
08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Or have AAA on speed dial so they are there when you get out of the trail
Like me?

jason
08-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I thought you guys would like to see Trevor going through that puddle we saw the Jeep stuck in last week. The D-90 after Trevor couldn't make it either.:o
This is from 3 years ago, by the way. 10-23-04

:cool: Trevor:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=16144399

:( D-90:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=16144776

pushngo
08-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Ryan has Eric uploaded his pics yet?

Frank84
08-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought you guys would like to see Trevor going through that puddle we saw the Jeep stuck in last week. The D-90 after Trevor couldn't make it either.:o
This is from 3 years ago, by the way. 10-23-04

My car is in the background of the first video:D

Rob P
08-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Watching Trevor go through makes me want to spend some (a lot) of money on my Disco. Amazing what good (noisey) tires and lockers can do.

galen211
08-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Was that Derek or Tyler in the D?

rvrsrvc
08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Neither, that's Mike Hippert. That event caused an engine failure for his D90! If you watch the clips again, I got lucky and managed to stay out of the really deep ruts in that hole. Mike hit them hard and broke traction quickly.

Last weekend was Buried Treasure which left a really cool water line on the interior and exterior! I've also lost 4th gear but I don't know if that's a direct result of trying to get out of that hole or just coincidence.

flippedrover
08-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Finally got all the parts to fix the mirror I ripped off. Looks like the hit I took to the door was hard enough to bend the support beam in the door.

rvrsrvc
08-31-2007, 02:05 PM
4th gear came back-left it for a week at Andrea's boss's home while I fixed his E-type Jag and voila, all better. Go figure.
Well at least until the next time the piece of debris makes it's way to the valve body.

Frank84
09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
4th gear came back-left it for a week at Andrea's boss's home while I fixed his E-type Jag and voila, all better. Go figure.
Well at least until the next time the piece of debris makes it's way to the valve body.

It probably just needed a break!

rvrsrvc
09-04-2007, 11:47 AM
So that leaves the MAR to-do list:
Replace winch solenoids;
resolve rear diff more permanently that affixing an absorbent pad between the pinion guard and the diff;
watch the weather forecast and a) fit flotation tyres b) fit radial MT's that I really would rather have for 250 miles of driving on pavement c) keep the Super Swampers and pack extra dry undies.

rmuller
09-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Replace winch solenoids;
resolve rear diff more permanently that affixing an absorbent pad between the pinion guard and the diff;
watch the weather forecast and a) fit flotation tyres b) fit radial MT's that I really would rather have for 250 miles of driving on pavement c) keep the Super Swampers and pack extra dry undies.

weather forecast last year lied.. pack those extra dry undies no matter what.

derekdilks
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Ryan, if you take the D90, are you going to bring it to MAR or the Disco?

rmuller
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Ryan, if you take the D90, are you going to bring it to MAR or the Disco?

neither :( I have a wedding on that Friday... one of those weddings that you can't miss.. I've been pissed about it for over a year now.

flippedrover
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Replace winch solenoids;
No trailering this year? Oh and I now need to replace a front axle and a rear break rotor that is badly scored on one side since the pad seems to have done on walk about. Oh yeah really need to fix the diff lock so I don't ahve to crawl in the mud to engage it!!!

rvrsrvc
09-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I have a Series that I need to do some frame repairs to and then it's off to the body shop (just bought a Hypermax 600 plasma cutter-can't wait to use it!)
We're going to Maine from the 21st through the 26th and then 3 days in Indiana. That leaves only 2 days (for me) before the MAR or somewhere in the next two weeks. What's your schedule like?

flippedrover
09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm free in theory anyday of the week as long as I get a nap in working nights has its advantages but Fridays I'm off.