PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to the picnic ???

cris_rrc
07-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi guys I wanted to know who is going to the picnic on the 28th from jersey that we can get together and caravan down to Pa. we have about a 2.5hr drive from North jersey so we should leave mid morning to be there around noon time so post up and if you are not from North jersey maybe we can meet on the road and tag along ..post up.

GadgetRick
07-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Had planned on going but not sure now. One of the guys in my school has a fight Saturday night and I want to make sure I can get back in time. We'll see...

jason
07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm leaving around 8:30-9:00 am to get there for 11:00. I was down there on Monday, and with little traffic it's about 2 hours from me. (xt 10 NJ Tpke)

cris_rrc
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Had planned on going but not sure now. One of the guys in my school has a fight Saturday night and I want to make sure I can get back in time. We'll see...

C'mon Rick bring the family you could be back home by 6pm if you must :rolleyes:

GadgetRick
07-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Can't make it. Just don't want to rush down and back. Bummer.

cboy
07-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm leaving around 8:30-9:00 am to get there for 11:00. I was down there on Monday, and with little traffic it's about 2 hours from me. (xt 10 NJ Tpke)

Same here. I just don't know which Rover I'm taking yet.

cris_rrc
07-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Same here. I just don't know which Rover I'm taking yet.

Let's see how it goes maybe maybe the 3 of us going can get together for the ride down we can just meet on the Trpk ..

Joe
07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I just paid for next Saturday via PayPal.

Unfortunately, after only 80,000 miles, my 95 LWB developed spider web cracks in 3 cylinders. I am biting the bullet and getting a new 4.6 L engine installed by John Robeson in Springfield, MA. I probably will not see it again until the fall! I am looking forward to the increased power, but not the bill! :mad:

I'll drive down to PA with my Jag (it is British!) but go via I95. See you there.

cris_rrc
07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
but go via I95. See you there.

I95 is the NJ Trpk....so if you will like to tag along let us know .;)

rmuller
07-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I paid, but I'm not 100% about going yet.. somewhere around 75% ... if I go, we can meet up together and head down.

Joe
07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I95 is the NJ Trpk....so if you will like to tag along let us know .;)

I95 is only the northern end of the Turnpike. I95 runs through PA (western side of the Delaware River) and through Delaware, Maryland, etc.

Rob P
07-22-2007, 09:43 PM
my 95 LWB developed spider web cracks in 3 cylinders.

How did you find that out and what were the symptoms? Cause?

Joe
07-23-2007, 04:06 PM
At 70,000 miles I started to hear gushing water noises upon startup. It sounded like water was rushing through the dash. I thought it was a heater problem. Dealer could not figure it out. This was followed by a rapid overheating problem. I tried other fixes like expensive crack fillers. Nothing worked.

Shipped it to John Robeson in Springfield, MA. He pulled the engine and repaired the crack in one of the cylinders. Fifteen months and 10,000 miles later the gushing noise started again and two weeks later the overheating started again. When I say overheating, I mean from cold start to top of the temp indicator in about 3 miles or less. No apparent steam or other signs of overheating.

Back up to Springfield. John pulled it again and cracks are evident in more cylinders. Financially better to replace the block with a new 4.6 L than to do the machining and labor on the other cylinders. He may still have some pictures of the condition. He also stated that the problem has been reported in the UK automotive press. They are seeing a lot of this with the 4.2 L engine.

If you are at the picnic on Saturday I can talk to you about it.

Rob P
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
yes, I'll be there but fortunately for me I have the "small" 4 liter engine so I should be spared from that. Sounds like it wasn't much fun or nice to deal with. Glad you found somebody who was good with the motor and could help you. I think if my engine goes south I'll be heading to Octogon to see the Octagenarians about a new used motor.

Joe
07-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I am told that the 4.0 L engine has not had the problem.

You are correct about the grief this has caused. It is 200+ miles to Springfield, MA from my house. I get it towed to Adessa Auction House in NJ then have it trailered to Springfield. When I pick it up, I take a train to NYC (1.5 hours), wait about an hour, take a train to Springfield (about 3 hours), and drive home (about 4 hours). This time I am hoping it is finished while my wife is on vacation from teaching. We can go up in her car and she can follow me back.

I wonder if Jeep people have these kinds of problems? :rolleyes:

roverthen
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Joe, I was under the impression that 3.9, 4.0, 4.2 and 4.6 blocks were the same. The differences I heard were in the cam, crankshaft and heads. I hope they are not just telling you that for their sake. I might be wrong about this.

I am told that the 4.0 L engine has not had the problem.

You are correct about the grief this has caused. It is 200+ miles to Springfield, MA from my house. I get it towed to Adessa Auction House in NJ then have it trailered to Springfield. When I pick it up, I take a train to NYC (1.5 hours), wait about an hour, take a train to Springfield (about 3 hours), and drive home (about 4 hours). This time I am hoping it is finished while my wife is on vacation from teaching. We can go up in her car and she can follow me back.

I wonder if Jeep people have these kinds of problems? :rolleyes:

Joe
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
The 4.6 L is a cross-bolted block that is much stronger than previous iterations.
And yes, it will blow the doors off your '93 in a drag race! Now that is a novel idea...a Range Rover drag race!!! ;)

cris_rrc
07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Is the picnic cancel for bad weather?? or is rain or shine?? if so Jason and Eric you guys want to meet somewhere on the Jersey trpk?? if yes what time and where ?? ....I can find Avalon Pa. but not where the picnic is :confused:

roverthen
07-26-2007, 11:27 PM
The 4.6 L is a cross-bolted block that is much stronger than previous iterations.
And yes, it will blow the doors off your '93 in a drag race! Now that is a novel idea...a Range Rover drag race!!! ;)
Screw drag racing, let's do a straight power pull..... on asphalt!

Seriously though, there is just no competition there. I like to see how they perform side by side ;)

siiirhd88
07-26-2007, 11:32 PM
The picnic is being held at St. Anthony in the Hills, located at 6730 Limestone Road, Avondale, PA 19311. If you are coming from U.S. Route 1 you will need to go south on Pa. Route 41 about 5.4 miles to Limestone Road. You will pass thru 'downtown' Avondale, on Rt. 41 / Pennsylvania Avenue which becomes Gap-Newport Road. Rt. 41 crosses over Limestone Road about 1/2 mile west of the Delaware state line, but you need to exit Rt. 41 before you cross over. Take Limestone Road south about 400 yards, to the St. Anthony's entrance on the right. I think it is the first driveway on the right, and IIRC there is a small St. Anthony's sign..... The entrance road kind of wanders around a bit, just drive until you see some Rovers. If you miss the entrance, like I did, Limestone Road will shortly become Delaware Route 7.

If coming from Rt. 295 from New Jersey, you want to go north on Delaware Rt. 141, Basin Road. (I have no idea how the I-95-I-295 interchange will function....) After about mile or on Rt. 141 north, Rt. 41 Gap-Newport Pike will angle off to the left. It will then be about 10 miles to the Pa. state line and Limestone Road. Rt. 41 will be a busy road.....

If searching via MSN Maps or Mapquest, the Hartefeld National Golf Course is near to St. Anthony's in the Hills, just to the north of Rt. 41 off Limestone Road.

HTH,
Bob

Tom109
07-27-2007, 11:29 AM
The 4.0l also has cross-bolted mains.

Tom P.

cris_rrc
07-28-2007, 10:22 AM
After all this planning and paying I CAN'T go :mad: ...I came from Denver this morning ,I was at the airport for 3 hours ,flight got cancel , then got to another airline , sit in the plane for for 2.5 hours at the runway ,they got us got back to the gate and make us leave the plane , got us in 1/2 later , 4 hr flight and arrive at La guardia , that's fine the problem is I was going to Newark ( my RR was parked there) is 1am get a car service to take me to newark , they pick me up at 1:30am ...on the way thru lincoln tunnel police check point stuck for 1/2 hours ..did all that and the tunnel was close ..had to go around , got to Newark 2:45am ....get on train to go to the parking lot , train is running but is under repair had to wait :mad: ...take the train ...now I have to get off the train because for some reason is not running all the way to the parking lot , keep waiting......got on another train , finally pay the $96 for parking and got home 4am went to sleep at 5am .....what a frigging day .... :mad: :mad: ....and you know what tomorrow noon I have to do it all over again but going to Miami this time F&^&!!! ....so I got a lot to do today so Im ready to leave the house for another week .

rmuller
07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Eric and I didn't make it either.. a few of us decided to go up to the Adirondacks for the weekend for camping & wheeling instead..

GadgetRick
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow Cris! I used to travel for a living and I had some REALLY bad travels but you've got me beat with that experience! That really sucked...

Joe
07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
The 4.0l also has cross-bolted mains.

Tom P.

Yes, but why get the 4.0 when you can get the 4.6? The 4.0 has not had the reported problems of the 4.2 (which I am switching for the 4.6.) I will enjoy the increased performance and I am hoping it gets poorer gas mileage since I want to use all the gas I can so we run out of foreign oil and start digging in Alaska!:D

The picnic was fun, although poorly attended by NJ folks.

jason
07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
The picnic was fun, although poorly attended by NJ folks.

X2:mad:

rmuller
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
X2:mad:

It's not like PA folks ever attend the NJ meetups! :)

We were busy enjoying some trail riding:

http://lh3.google.com/njrover/Rq5dkxEROTI/AAAAAAAAAHk/eEinlUu-Fho/s144/DSC01968.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/njrover/MayfieldTrailsUpstateNY2007

http://web.mac.com/abrahamthen/iWeb/Rover%20Adventures/Mayfield,%20NY%20Trip_files/slideshow.html

Joe
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
We were busy supporting the club!

What NJ events would they support? The clean up is always closed as soon as it is announced. And why would someone from NJ come over here when there is so much to do in PA? Am I missing something here?

I would never schedule an event that conflicted with my Club's Annual General Meeting and Picnic. Besides, I can go off-roading whenever I want. I do not often get the chance to meet new folks with similar interests. I do not want to "start something" here. I just did not appreciate the smart ass comment in the Forum.

Let's talk about it at my house on August 22.

rmuller
07-31-2007, 04:04 PM
The comment was a joke as a reference to times in the past when everything was in PA.. I'm happy that in the past year or so we've gotten more involvement in NJ and forming monthly gatherings.

I'm a member in various Rover clubs, and do not attend all the functions... just too much to do, too little time.. I did pay for the AGM/Picnic, and was contemplating going up until the last minute.. various factors contributed to my decision... I've been the swap meet before, even as a vendor, and in the past it hasn't proved to be worth my time since I don't own a Series... the fact that rain was in the forecast also influenced my decision... I was presented an opportunity to go away for the weekend offroading & camping with some of my closest friends in the Rover community.. and to me, that seemed like a better choice. I do want to know what's going on in ROVERS though, and wouldn't have minded attending the AGM.. Is there a outline of what was discussed available?

I completely understand your concern though.. I've been in that position many times over.. I've planned countless meet ups, trail rides, shop days, etc.. only to be disappointed in the end with the turn up.. I've just learned not to let it bother me anymore..

Unfortunately, I'll be unable to attend the "Meet at Joe's" as I'm going to Hilton Head with my family that week.. but you know if I was around, I'd be there.

crazyfish
07-31-2007, 06:30 PM
At least they were out in their rovers, doing what rovers should be doing. I'll give em credit for that.
Excellent pictures. Love your cooking gear lol

jason
07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Just to add my $.02, I was very happy with the turnout. Of course it would have been nice to see the "NJ monthly" crew that I get together with, but in all fairness, the "PA monthly" crew wasn't well represented, either. No Soli, Galen, Sven, or Stuart. And that's OK. Everyone has to pick and choose what they can and cannot devote their time to. Everyone has a reason, and most are pretty good. There are over 200 club members that didn't show up, so let's not stone the ones that actually do come out to events, clean-ups, and shop days regularly. I'd like to focus on the new members we got to meet. Oscar wins the prize for having the most recognizable avatar, by the way.;) In reality, as far as AGM's go, only one in the last 5 years had better attendance. Look for the write-up in the next newsletter for what was discussed and what went on. Perhaps a different thread.

On the flip-side, I understand why Joe is upset. There was a lot of effort and time put into the AGM / picnic, and a good turn-out should be expected. Tom and Mira did an amazing job with the accommodations, food, and activities. It's definitely not an easy feat. We want members to be more involved and active. Not only in the wheeling events like Rausch and Robesonia, but also in the "social" events like the sort-outs, picnics, and monthly gatherings.

Ryan, I don't think Joe was pissed that you didn't show up, but more that it seemed you dismissed the event without much consideration. I know that's not the case. No-one blames you for spending the weekend camping and wheeling. Given the same opportunity, I'd probably bail, too.:) After all, experiencing the great outdoors is why we drive what we drive and why we hang with whom we hang. We all know each other and get together regularly.

Here's my ruling as the ex-president: You and Joe have to split a case of Guinness at Abe's house in September.:D

Enjoy Hilton Head, and thanks for posting the pic's.
Jason

rmuller
07-31-2007, 11:09 PM
All is good... my only suggestion is that it be Boddington and not Guinness... not so much a fan of the stouts!

So.. are there any like club minutes or notes? Who's the new president?

Jarek M
07-31-2007, 11:12 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/Basia678/smieszki/theek.gif

cboy
07-31-2007, 11:43 PM
The choice of Picnic or camping was not an easy one. I was all set on driving down to PA, in Putt-putt no less, until I checked the weather on Thursday. Then that night the suggestion to go north instead came up by someone that missed our Canada trip so I decided to do that instead. I figured there was more Rover seat time in 2 nights of camping than the drive down to PA.

Sorry guys for missing the AGM. I would go in on that case of beer but I don't drink :D How about I get the donuts next time we have an early shop day?:)

roverthen
08-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Then that night the suggestion to go north instead came up by someone that missed our Canada trip so I decided to do that instead.

I knew I was not going to be able to attend anything this past weekend until the very last minute. The final decision I made was also based on weather.

I'm always open to meet up with other LR enthusiast but this was one of those trips that I could not have missed. Let's not take things so serious. Ryan was just trying to be funny. We have that kind of relaxed atmosphere amongst our immediate group.

jason
08-01-2007, 05:09 AM
All is good... my only suggestion is that it be Boddington

Fair enough.

So.. are there any like club minutes or notes? Who's the new president?

The AGM portion was abbreviated and there are no notes or minutes. However, I will have a fair amount of info for the next newsletter, which is due out in a week or two. The "new" president is our "old", I mean "former":D president, Tom Bache, who is also the founder of the club. Again, more info on this leadership shift will be in the next "Fairlead".

galen211
08-01-2007, 07:20 AM
One thing to consider in regards to these catered events if you RSVP is that many times the club is paying a portion of the catering for each person. I'm not sure about this year as I wasn't as involved, but last year the club took a very hard hit for no shows.

I don't blame you for wheeling, at this point I wold just like to be rolling and off the jack stands!

galen211
08-01-2007, 07:23 AM
And out of curiousity how far was it for you guys to drive to the picnic? For us Mid-staters it was at least 3-1/2 hours each way plus the time spent there. That is the hardest part for me as it is upwards of a 12-14 hour day.

mlp141
08-01-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't think I've missed my Disco these last 6-8 weeks as much as I did watching that slide show. Whoever shot the photos on the web.mac site did a very nice job. Likewise, where were you guys -- the scenery was amazing. Any chance we can have a ROVERS outting there? Not that my series will be ready anytime soon.

It's not like PA folks ever attend the NJ meetups! :)

We were busy enjoying some trail riding:

http://lh3.google.com/njrover/Rq5dkxEROTI/AAAAAAAAAHk/eEinlUu-Fho/s144/DSC01968.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/njrover/MayfieldTrailsUpstateNY2007

http://web.mac.com/abrahamthen/iWeb/Rover%20Adventures/Mayfield,%20NY%20Trip_files/slideshow.html

rmuller
08-01-2007, 09:18 AM
To the Picnic it would have taken me 2h40m if I drove straight down in my disco... but the plan was to meet at eric's and follow him down in the series.. and we all know that adds about 3 hours to the trip :)

The location is in Upstate NY... while it is legal roads (state land leased to loggers), I don't want to risk naming the actual location (dont want them to close it due to too much use).. but we could try to plan a small ROVERS outing there in the future.

roverthen
08-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Whoever shot the photos on the web.mac site did a very nice job.

Thanks. Pictures were a little difficult due to the lack of light under the forest canopy. The better ones were in complete sunlight. Those are unedited.

Here's the rest of the site.

http://web.mac.com/abrahamthen/iWeb/Rover%20Adventures/Welcome.html

Joe
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Abe, the pictures are great! Except the ones of the Jeep pulling Jarek out of the water...and, oh yea, the ones of Jarek sitting in the water! :D

roverthen
08-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Abe, the pictures are great! Except the ones of the Jeep pulling Jarek out of the water...and, oh yea, the ones of Jarek sitting in the water! :D
Oh man, I couldn't tell you how many times we ripped into those two subjects. I'm not even going to get into the mouse eating with Stevie or Jarek's flying frog story. They was a lot of laughter all weekend long.....very good times with very good friends!

jason
08-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Maybe this will help ease the pain.:D