PDA

View Full Version : Brake System Mini Shop Day - End Aug./Beg. Sept?

kirkt
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I will be replacing the master cylinder, rebuilding the servo, and getting the dual-circuit brake system up and running on my SIII lightweight in the near future as the parts trickle in during the next few weeks. If anyone is interested in learning about their dual-circuit servo system by working on this one, please let me know and we can make a day out of it. Also, I have about 2500 sq. ft. of covered warehouse space where I work on the girl, so if anyone has random projects they need a hand with, we can try to get some people together and make it a shop day. If there are enough people, we can barbeque, etc. (we have a propane grill too).

I have basic tools, jacks and jackstands, SIII manuals, etc. for those who don't want to lug a bunch of stuff along.

Email me: kthibault<at>biomechanicsinc<dot>com if you are interested. Got to get ready for Robesonia!

Kirk

jason
08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Where is your shop?

kirkt
08-06-2007, 10:29 PM
oops - sorry about that small detail. It is about 5 mins. from the Phila. Intl. Airport, off of i-95 in essington, pa.

kirkt
08-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Looks like a tentative date is shaping up to be during the Sept 1-2-3 labor day weekend. it also appears that the day may involve some major reassembly of an 80".

Also - my "shop" is just space attached to my office. It is by no means an auto shop, but it is covered and lit and I've got basic tools. Much better than 20 degrees (or 95 degrees) in your driveway in the dark.

Arthur 1995 LWB
08-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Banning yet unplanned family activity, I would like to use the occasion to work on brakes for my RRC, if that's alright. Basically pads and bleed. I think I have the basic tools needed for the job. It'd be nice to have time to learn/help with your brake system too.

kirkt
08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Banning yet unplanned family activity, I would like to use the occasion to work on brakes for my RRC, if that's alright. Basically pads and bleed. I think I have the basic tools needed for the job. It'd be nice to have time to learn/help with your brake system too.

Cool - the more the merrier. I will keep you posted on the date via this thread.

LC Rover
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
KIrk:
I plan on attending. Just a few small items to attend too, then I give you a hand. Any progress on the electric for a plug that I can use for my welder.
220V, 1 phase, 60 amp breaker. later
larry

kirkt
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
KIrk:
I plan on attending. Just a few small items to attend too, then I give you a hand. Any progress on the electric for a plug that I can use for my welder.
220V, 1 phase, 60 amp breaker. later
larry

Larry - I am installing a power run for your welder next week. What is the configuration of the plug? Is it a 3-prong twist-lock? Just let me know so I can get the correct female socket on the end of the run.

We will have a 60A breaker with about 60 ft of cable to plug into, in case we need to move around with the welder.

As far as welding goes, I would like to replace the two bulkhead crossmembers. It seems pretty straightforward just to fab up some new ones (as the lightweight body is 4" narrower than the civilian SIII) out of box section steel. i will post some drawings here of my idea - where can we get some inexpensive steel? is this a Fazio's kind of thing. I've always wanted an excuse to go there.

Will work on sketches tonight.

Thanks Larry - this is great! Let me know what you need to get done on your rig. I have a Nissan Frontier that can be used to transport the welder if necessary.

LC Rover
08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Funny you should say that. I have about the same length of cable already hooked to the welder. There should be no excuses of not being able to reach. The plug is not the twist-lock type, several different types. Just get one that can handle the amps ( both male & female). I will change it on the welder.
Are you talking about Fazio's Steel over in Jersey. If you can't find what you need there, then it doesn't exist. How are the out riggers. From what I remember they were toast for the most part.

crazyfish
08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
swiss cheese would hold more weight than those things..... they are more of an illusion of outriggers

kirkt
08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Ultra Light Weight, high performance racing outriggers.

jason
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
That's highly classified military equipment, no?

kirkt
08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
That's highly classified military equipment, no?

Very hush hush. I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you. if you look in Jane's guide to ultra-secret MoD vehicles you will also find details on the hi-flow vented toe box design also shown in the pictures. The vented toe box also decreased the lightweight's radar signature and permitted the passengers to cut the engine and stealthily Fred Flintstone the vehicle into unsuspecting enemy camps.

kirkt
08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Larry - please explain to me exactly what you want on the end of the 60A cable run. Just name a specific plug or socket, and that is the one I will have for you.

crazyfish
08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Where ever did you find that piece of junk? lol

kirkt
08-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Where ever did you find that piece of junk? lol

Did you just call the Lightweight a piece of junk?!

She is not junk, she just needs love. The kind of love that is illegal in most Red states, but love nonetheless. Her POs were mean and kept her in a pit in the basement and lowered 90 wt to her in a basket once a year. For shame!

jason
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
"It rubs the 90wt on it's skin. It does this whenever it's told."

kirkt
08-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I'd like to hold the Shop Day over the Labor Day weekend. Does anyone have a preference for the Sunday or Monday of the long weekend?

Kirk

LC Rover
08-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Sunday, works better for me.

kirkt
08-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Sunday it is. Start around 9:30ish?

Rob P
08-19-2007, 10:27 PM
I had not opened up the pictures until tonight to see the rust damage up close and personal. Wow! Guess that is the obvious kind that you can lay underneath with a flashlight and see when you go to check out a series rover. Fortunately it can all be replaced right?

kirkt
08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
We will be cutting out the old outriggers and replacing them with new ones as part of the shop day if you are interested in watching! We will probably work for the morning, take a barbeque lunch break and then finish up with more work until quitting time.

mapquest, google maps, etc.:

439 South Governor Printz Boulevard
Essington, PA

for directions. 5 minutes from PHL int airport, off of i-95

crazyfish
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
In response to Kirt holding my heater hostage, I post this public notice:

Dear Kirk,

It is indeed too bad that your shop day will suck. How dare you break the long standing ROVERS tradition of standing out in the near freezing rain, or the swealtering summer heat on a large patch of black top with K-mart tools and warm generic beverages in a can. I have been to one where it was 4 degrees above zero and one during the tail end of a hurricane, both outdoors in a crappy alley full of 90 wt covered gravel. If you feel you must provide indoor facilities, with proper heating and cooling, on a expansive flat smooth surface with 12 foot ceilings, so be it.

While other hosts have let us purchase our own meals at the local Deli of Devious Death, you try to indulge us with fancy cuts of perfectly grilled premium meat, marinated choice chicken parts all served on bakery-fresh soft warm bread. Sides of fresh potato salad, gourmet chips and salsa only add to the horrors of this tragic event.

Other hosts have provided warm sodas and a garden hose. How dare you rock the long standing custom with a case of premium micro brewed beer perfectly chilled to the correct temperature. Opulence is simply not appropriate at these functions.

So, in short, I will only attend this event under duress. I will work on your antiquated vehicle with proper tools in a beautiful shop, eat fantastic grilled to order food and drink your fancy ass beer only because you have my heater.

I hope this serves to disway any other potential attendees.

LC Rover
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I just want to inform you that of yesterday, a welding machine made an appearance at Kirk's garage for repairing those small nuisance cracks, or replace frame parts that are no longer up to spec. The only item that is really absent from the sundry of tools is a 26 gallon or better air compressor. We could facilitate the air tools that come with the compressor, (saw one at Home Depot) so we don't have to scrape our knuckles using our striped out "Made in China" hand tools. Also it would take less effort and time, thus allowing more time for eating and drinking. I am just writing this little note to give you my opinion of the actions Kirk would have to take to move his venue from a three star to a four star establishment.

kirkt
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Finally the marketing firm I hired is doing their job!

LC Rover
08-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Just a wish list

galen211
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey Larry,

Nice avatar!;)

LC Rover
08-23-2007, 04:23 PM
It's not KevinNY's avitar (cover of LRM), maybe one day.

Arthur 1995 LWB
08-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Gents,

Anyone know how to adjust the timing for the RRC? If someone can help me, what equip. etc. do I need to buy/bring?

Looking forward to Sunday. Hope it's less humid by then.

Joe
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a large air compressor on wheels from Sears. Rated 125 psi. I have hoses and connectors but not many air tools. Want me to bring it? I could come down and learn something as well as tighten up a few things on my 95 LWB.

kirkt
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
I have a large air compressor on wheels from Sears. Rated 125 psi. I have hoses and connectors but not many air tools. Want me to bring it? I could come down and learn something as well as tighten up a few things on my 95 LWB.

Sounds great, thanks Joe.

For all coming down: How does hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken wings sound? Feel free to bring beverages of your choosing or anything else you think we want to eat.

Sunday, September 2, 9:30ish

439 South Governor Printz Blvd
Essington, PA 19029

About 5 mins from PHL airport.

My cell - 267-918-6908

kirkt
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I have two replacement Series civilian bulkhead outriggers that will need to be trimmed to fit the narrower Lightweight body. I will be purchasing some steel plate for making frame rail repairs and new footwells. I have 8" long 1/2" bolts for making up the connection between the bulkhead and the outriggers.

A list of "to do's" for the Lightweight:

1) cut out rotten bulkhead outirggers
2) repair frame rails adjacent to rotten outriggers
3) trim new outriggers and weld into place
4) bolt up outriggers to bulkhead with new hardware
5) fit new plate to replace rotten footwell areas.
6) fit new master cylinder and servo rebuild kit and bleed brakes
7) tune rebuilt carb and get a nice smooth idle
8) fit new steering column upper bearing
9) slightly modify Defender front bumper (trim ends) to fit Lightweight width.

Sound fun? Yes!!!

LC Rover
08-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Did the electric go in yet? Sounds like I should bring a tent as well.

kirkt
08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
The electrical stuff is for another day/week/decade. The 60A breaker is going in tomorrow for the welder.

Kirk

kirkt
09-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Just a friendly reminder to all:

Shop Day
Sunday, September 2nd
9:30 AM

Biomechanics, Inc.
439 South Governor Printz Blvd
Essington, PA 19029

267-918-6908.

Park in the small lot off of 5th avenue.

Bring your rig, your beverages and your smiling face. We will grill hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken wings for lunch. The welder is operational on its own 60A circuit.

We may perform the following:
- Repair the frame rails and replace the bulkhead outriggers on the Lightweight
- Rebuild the servo and replace the master cylinder on the dual circuit brake system, and bleed the brakes. This will include centering the brake failure valve!
- Get the rebuilt Zenith carb tuned and the gremlins ironed out.

Fun for all. If you would like to list your "to do's" feel free to do it here.

See you tomorrow,

Kirk

crazyfish
09-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Excellent progress today. The prime rib was a nice surprise. Steering wheel bearing was a bitch, Larry the Welder did a damn nice job and even gave it a 4 week guarantee ( unless driven ). Engine started up nice and it seems that Kirk can indeed rebuild carbs! We had fun with grinders, Joe's compressor, welding toys and one awesome grinder with a metal brush removing wheel. I NEED one of those!

The rover looked like crap, which means it's getting close to being done!

kirkt
09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Shop Day!

A HUGE thanks to the intrepid who braved the beautiful weather and great food to work on the Lightweight. Larry, Joe and Sean were outstanding, and Peter Reed and Chris martin graced us with a quick visit during their American Chopper motorcycle ride. Larry, thanks for the cutting, grinding and welding craftmanship, one outrigger down, one to go. The Joe and Sean show pumped out exciting episode after exciting episode, including prying out a steering column bearing with their GI Joe kung-fu grip hands, drifting out a clevis pin in the servo like two bad mofo's, and laying their spray paint tags all over the air horn thingy and the first cross member.

To my surprise, the rig purrs like a kitten, with a decrepit exhaust system, but I'lll take the small victories. A rebuilt Zenith seems to work much better.

Still much to do, but I feel like Robesonia is a distinct possibility!

Awesome work guys,

Kirk

Joe
09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Very educational day, and I agree with Sean that the prime rib was a nice surprise although, personally, I would not have server Bearnaise sauce with it.

I have lots of pictures. Especially Sean getting his shoes "shined" by Larry. I have them posted on Kodak Easy Share Gallery and Shutterfly but need email addresses for viewing. How/where do I post them so that I can just give a link?

Here is a sample:

LC Rover
09-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Just want to file my report that serious progress was made on the ltwt. Robsonia is most certainly in the cards. Heck, Kirk was even generous enough to donate the "rusty Frame award" for the individual who finishes last at Robsonia (that’s usually me, by the way). I going to have competition this year, KIRK. One down, one to go, on the out riggers. Kirk, give me a call, Friday afternoon's and Sat. work best for me.

P.S. I left my green bible on the long shelf.

kirkt
09-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Larry - I have the Green Bible. Thanks again for your effort - let's get the other side done in the next few weeks. I would also like to cut down the Defender bumper and get that mounted as well.

Looking forward to Robesonia.

Kirk

Joe
09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Here are the pictures from Sunday via Flickr.com:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12713990@N02/

View in slide show for best results.