PDA

View Full Version : Wierd brake ware

flippedrover
09-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Just replaced the rear pads and noticed that both inside pads were worn down more than the outer pads. What gives?

Rob P
09-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm gonna guess that it was a disk brake and that there is only one piston on the caliper. The piston side always wears out a bit more but if your sliding pins that allow the caliper to "float" on the disk are a slight bit crusty than the opposite side from the piston tends to not get as much worn away.

If it's not severe then just forget about it, but if it is severe than consider a replacement of those sliding bits on the caliper.

Frank84
09-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Tyler - on a DII at least, the shop manual says to grease those sliding pins every time you change pads

flippedrover
09-18-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna guess that it was a disk brake and that there is only one piston on the caliper. The piston side always wears out a bit more but if your sliding pins that allow the caliper to "float" on the disk are a slight bit crusty than the opposite side from the piston tends to not get as much worn away.

If it's not severe then just forget about it, but if it is severe than consider a replacement of those sliding bits on the caliper.
They are two piston calipers. I also posted on D90 Source and the thinking is sticky pistons,more crap hitting that side of the disc,air in the lines.

rvrsrvc
09-18-2007, 07:25 PM
These are fixed calipers with an inner and outer piston. I'd be willing to bet that the contact areas of the caliper where the pads touch are rusty. I always use a synthetic grease on those metal to metal contact areas, but I'm willing to bet that enough off-roading and occaisional cleaning has washed it away.
Why the inboard pads? Exposed more to the elements.

flippedrover
09-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Ahh ha. Makes sense.