PDA

View Full Version : New guy to MAR 07'

MDDisco
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Just joined the club......Ok guys I own a 03 Disco stock, except for Nitto tires, and looking to attend this years MAR. I feel its time to get her dirty. I new to the off roading so bear with me. Is there alot of trails for stock trucks at MAR? Where else do you all go off roadin? Id like to get out and meet some people from my area (Whitemarsh, MD) At MAR is it an all day trail ride? Read something about dinners? Not quite sure what really goes on there??? Dogs allowed? GF got a conference so Ill prob be rolling solo. Please feel free to introduce yourself. Thanks guys!

Ryan N

crazyfish
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
oh where to start where to start....

Last few years had TONS of rain - like 5-9 inches. Bring a great tent, lots of clothes and a cooler full. The trails go from easy to insane, depending on weather and number of vehicles out there. 45 minute runs on thursday can turn into 5 hour runs on friday. Stock is cool, find a spotter, stay off the difficult trails - just ask if you should try it. Recovery points are really really really encouraged.

Bring beer.

Find someone to camp near who can show you the ropes. ROVERS club doesn't really have it's own area, but others can chime in here.

Welcome aboard.

galen211
09-24-2007, 07:41 PM
And too add to that rides are always available with people in modified trucks to do the tougher trails. Be warned however, this will lead to dreams of how to modify your own truck and the money it will cost you.

kirkt
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Welcome Ryan. You will enjoy MAR driving your own vehicle or riding along in someone else's. Try to get yourself some recovery points, as the requisite hurricane that blows through every year can make the going slick.

For a real treat ask Sean (Crazyfish) to drive you around in the Short Bus with the choke on for a few hours - the backfire alone is worth the price of admission.

Bring beer and Chex Mix.

Enjoy,

Kirk

MDDisco
09-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Sounds sweet! Ill def get some recovery points. Ill def drive around my rig but would also like to ride with some hardcore trucks. I especially like to ride in an old Series. When you mean back fire do you mean "Uncle Buck " backfire?

Sat morning is there some type of get together in the morning or is it just get up and go trialing? NO idea?? Never been to anything like this before... Sound like a blast!!

Best/ cheapest place to get recovery points?

crazyfish
09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Not sure for Disco but heres some places to start, the easiest rear point is one that fits into the rear tow bar socket, not sure about fronts

George, www.roversdownsouth.com
Trevor ( one of us ) umm, i have to look it up, Trevor?
Atlantic British www.atlanticbritish.com
DAP www.dap-inc.com
Rovers North www.roversnorth.com

Those are the main ones, you'll find plenty more.

Picture MAR as 500 people camping in 5 fields with expensive toys with no real agenda. Very few real things are planned. Bring food, a way to cook it, and start calling poeple who are going. Stay away from the Philly Rovers, those guys are nuts :)

kirkt
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Also try Recovery Gear:

www.recoverygear.com

and OK 4WD

www.ok4wd.com

MDDisco
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys!

KirkT: Is that a Newfie in your pic?

kirkt
09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Yep - my old dog Savanna. Had to put her down a few years ago due to seizures (expanding brain tumor). Great dogs, as long as you can take the fur and slobber everywhere. I've been honored to share time with two Newfs in my life - once my kids get a little older (read that as, once my wife is convinced it's time for another dog) I'll get another -either a Newf or Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.

MDDisco
09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I hear you. I actually want to get a newf until I realized the drool thing. From everybody they are great dogs. I have a 4 yr old Great Dane named Clyde. The greatest dog I have ever had... heres my boy! Hopefully Ill see you all there!!

flippedrover
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Not sure for Disco but heres some places to start, the easiest rear point is one that fits into the rear tow bar socket, not sure about fronts

George, www.roversdownsouth.com
Trevor ( one of us ) umm, i have to look it up, Trevor?
Atlantic British www.atlanticbritish.com
DAP www.dap-inc.com
Rovers North www.roversnorth.com

Those are the main ones, you'll find plenty more.

Picture MAR as 500 people camping in 5 fields with expensive toys with no real agenda. Very few real things are planned. Bring food, a way to cook it, and start calling poeple who are going. Stay away from the Philly Rovers, those guys are nuts :)
Trevor is currently on vacation but if you leave your name number and time of call we will gladly forget to pass it on when he returns.

kirkt
09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Clyde - nice! Alas, I will not be at MAR this year. If you can swing the drive to Robesonia, PA - about 15 minutes outside of Reading, PA, for November Robesonia Trials, you should go. You will get a great chance to test your vehicle under ideal conditions. I am shooting to have my lightweight ready for the event.

http://kirkt.smugmug.com/photos/116978870-L.jpg

MDDisco
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
What exactly is the November Robesonia Trials? Im not sure how far reading is from me but I'll def make it. Keep me posted on the dates and anything else local!!!

Im prob heading to MAR thursday night so I wont get there till dark. Is it a pain setting up camp at night around there??

kirkt
09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Nov. 11
Pennsylvania ROVERS Club Fall Robesonia

The spring Robesonia event is certainly one not to miss. A technical Trials course and family friendly event all rolled into one!

Due to the popularity of this event, there is a maximum of 20 vehicles and all entrants must be current members.

see this thread:

http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=801

and this gallery to see photos of previous Robesonia trials:

http://gallery.roversclub.org/thumbnails.php?album=4

Here's a shot of my old 2000 D2 at Robesonia a few years back:

http://kirkt.smugmug.com/photos/36308954-M.jpg

A trials event involves negotiating your vehicle through a series of short "stages" that are comprised of a set of 10 gates. The gates are made up of a pair of canes (think 3/4" diameter PVC tubes sticking about 4 feet out of the ground) numbered in reverse order - your mission is to drive through each stage without your vehicle touching any of the canes. The cane that you do touch on each stage is the score you get for that stage - the object is to clear each stage with a perfect "0" score and, like golf, to rack up the lowest total score of all the stage scores combined. Thus if you hit the first gate you get a 10, etc. The stages are set up on private property that is graciously made accessible to us twice a year by a club member and contains a variety of terrain to test all vehicles from stock to modified. The trials are usually split into two classes: leaf sprung and coil sprung. You will really enjoy it and it is a great event to learn how your vehicle performs and how to drive off road. There a bunch of very knowledgeable people at the event to tutor you on the finer points of various off road situations as well. Just don't follow me unless you are vying for last place.

It is about 2 hours from Baltimore. There is a trail prep day the day before and some of the trail prep people will be camping out that night in preparation for the next day (see the thread for the full discussion).

Kirk

galen211
09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
FYI Kirk and everyone else; there is no limit on vehicles at Robesonia anymore. You come, you run!

kirkt
09-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Cool - i just downloaded the entry form. Also, with a little arc welding artistry from Larry Cutler, there will be some trophies at this year's event... or so I hear.

MDDisco
09-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Looks sweet! Sounds like a cool place to go. When do they start taking entries?

galen211
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about sending anything in, but if you want too I'm sure Tom will be more than happy to receive your $$. There is a form on the main website www.roversclub.org the years are probably wrong on it but ignore that and send it anyway.

MDDisco
09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Is to "stock breaking" trail? Did see any bare bones stock trucks there... maybe even more reason to do some upgrades!

galen211
09-26-2007, 07:37 AM
We have had stock trucks out there and they do fine. Exercise caution and have plenty of spotters. My Series sits no taller than stock and I won last time.

In most cases I think stock trucks do better because the poles you have to pass through are so tight that lifted trucks tend to "roll" a little more over the obstacles.

MD, where are you located?

MDDisco
09-26-2007, 12:27 PM
I live in Whitemarsh, 15 min North of Baltimore... Right where 95 and 695 meet on the top side of the beltway.

galen211
09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
From White Marsh you are probably about 1-1/2 to 2 hours from Robesonia. Come out and camp Saturday into Sunday and it will be well worth the trip.

MDDisco
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I will def be there. Like your profile pic... looks like a great way to rip off my bumper!

You heading to MAR? If I get there at night time(10-11p,) will it be a pain in the ass finding a spot at night? Im leaving here at approx 6-7 on Thurs evening so...

galen211
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I will def be there. Like your profile pic... looks like a great way to rip off my bumper!

You heading to MAR? If I get there at night time(10-11p,) will it be a pain in the ass finding a spot at night? Im leaving here at approx 6-7 on Thurs evening so...

lol, that pic is from Robesonia. You would be surprised, the bigger trucks come down that and only strike the hitch, no damage on that one.

Finding a spot at MAR isn't too hard, there is plenty of open camping space available. Not to worry though, if history has any part in it, it will be raining cats and dogs and you'll want to just sleep in the truck.

MDDisco
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Def bring my waterproof gear! Oh yeah... and lots of beer