PDA

View Full Version : Expired Memberships - Please Read!

Frank84
10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Anybody that read the newletter will know that I'm now in charge of membership - Jason used to run this along with the presidency and write for the Fairlead! Now he has too many jobs, too many kids, and too many rover problems so I inherited membership. Right now we are at about 150 members, but 60 of those have expired (sometime during Jan - Sept of 2007).

Many of you will be getting a friendly email today reminding you to renew your dues to help keep this club operating and the newsletter arriving at your door. If you think you should have gotten an email and didn't then I either messed up or you're already on the "deleted" sheet courtesy of Jason. If you get an email and you think you are up to date then someone messed up - probably me but I'll gladly blame paypal.

I sent out renewal emails to the addresses that I have in an excel sheet. If you think you've changed your email address since giving it to the club years ago either check your old email (if you can) or check in with me through membershiproversclub@yahoo.com Be patient because I don't check it daily.

I'm going to move those who don't renew to the "deleted" sheet in November so please take care of it before then. You can renew via paypal or snailmail ($25 check to R.O.V.E.R.S. via Tom Bache) - details are on the website.

mlp141
10-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Frank -- I actually e-mailed this to you as well, but I have an idea that would perhaps help this:

I think it would be a great idea to prorate whoever needs it, but then to make renewals occur prior to 1 January, so that the membership runs the calendar year from Jan-Dec.

It'd be a little hectic for the remainder of the year (with prorating and such), but thereafter, it'd be much easier for the club to keep track.

--Michael

Frank84
10-04-2007, 07:45 AM
You must have read my mind Mike! I was actually thinking the same thing. I've noticed that almost nobody renews without a reminder email so if we all had to do it at the same time (December perhaps) it would be easier to remember and much easier on me throughout the year.

What does everyone think?

jason
10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
When Tom, Galen, Sean, and I discussed that a few years ago it seemed like a good idea. The easiest way to do it would be to get everyone to a December renewal date by adding $2 for every month. For example, my expiration is Oct, so my renewal in Dec will be $31 instead of $25. This would in effect move my renewal date to Dec.

New members would have to pay up to double for new membership, but would be covered for the time paid in advance. For example, Joey Blowey joins the club in August. Dues to join would be $35 but would carry him to Dec 2009. Get it?

There are some members that are subscribed to a Paypal auto renewal. Changing their sub dates would have to be worked out with Sean.

Frank84
10-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Sounds like it could be a little complicated to set up the first time but might be worth it in the long run.

mlp141
10-04-2007, 09:54 AM
What if we just give and take a little. That is, it's $25 for the year. If you have paid after June of this year, your renewal for 2008 is $12 (since you technically only need to pay for ~ 1/2 the year. Anyone who's membership was up from January through June pays the full $25. Yes, some folks will ultimately pay a little more some a little less, but it would easily get everyone onto the same page. Likewise I would imagine that most folks would agree to something like that.

jason
10-05-2007, 11:47 AM
The easy part is getting everyone to agree. The hard part is keeping track of who owe's what. Just keep in mind, Frank, it's your ship and we will have to follow the course you set. Do what is easiest for you. I wish I had done it that way from the beginning.

Frank84
10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
The easy part is getting everyone to agree. The hard part is keeping track of who owe's what. Just keep in mind, Frank, it's your ship and we will have to follow the course you set. Do what is easiest for you. I wish I had done it that way from the beginning.

Yeah - I realized right away that the hardest part is getting current members to renew. In fact, since I started doing this in mid july only 1 or 2 people actually renewed on their own. It is pain to sort through the list and continuously remind people. And at what point do you remove them from the roster? Right now, I've made a big deal about renewing for this year. But I want to get everyone on the same renewal schedule - it is just a matter of deciding when to do this and how to make it fair for those that are up to date and those that are not. Of course, we're not talking about big money here.

In the mean time, I have more rover problems than I care for (who doesn't?), but the thing keeps on going despite all the issues and I have yet to put any sizable $$$ into it. Fingers crossed!

mlp141
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Well, if not many folks have had to (or actually have and didn't) re-up since July, just cut it there. To re-up for 2008 (if your membership expired prior to July 1) is $50. Thereafter $35 before Dec. 31st of 2008, for your 2009 dues.

And, if a new member wants to join (at a later date, say in May or something) we can prorate his/her membership dues for the remaining portion of the year. Then, come December, he/she re-ups for the same $35 we all do.

Really, the yearly calender makes a ton of sense to me. Personally, I would have no issues with a plan like this, regardless of when my dues were up. It might sting some folks a little while, but once you get passed this first one, it goes right back to an easy $35 per member.

Why not make a poll on this stuff and see how it gets voted on?

Rob P
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes, making it the same date for everyone to renew would be great (for me) and easier to remember.