PDA

View Full Version : Sloshing Water Noise From Dash Area!

Joe
10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Anyone ever deal with a sloshing water sound? It usually happens when the engine is cold and I am making a turn. It sounds like it is coming from the glove compartment area and sounds like pouring water form one bucket to another bucket.

Damn annoying, especially since I just upgraded to the 4.6L block. However, it did make the same noise with the 4.2L.

All fluid levels are fine and I just had an oil change.

Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

JohnC
10-22-2007, 03:07 PM
You might have air in the cooling system. Try burping the system and fill with coolant.

Are you leaking any coolant?

crazyfish
10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
We had a jeep where a drain plug got plugged up and it built up a nice pool of water behind the glove compartment. One day, it was overflowing into the inside of the passenger footwell, we pull over to see what the hell we broke...

rvrsrvc
10-22-2007, 07:39 PM
OMGoodness, is that the real John C?

Joe
10-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I tried parking it on a steep hill and running the engine to see if it would release any air...no luck. I'll check for blocked plugs tomorrow. No leaks visible and no need to top off coolant.

Keep the suggestions coming. :confused:

JohnC
10-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Did you turn on the heat and warm up the engine? Any coolant leaks on the heater hoses? How much coolant did you add?

Tom109
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Joe,

In the late 90's there was as TSB for D1's, stating the to-be-fixed problem as "sloshing noise behind the dash" - no lie. What they did was swap the heater core inlet and outlet hoses. I never had any sloshing noises, but sure enough, during a warranty service, they swaped the hoses. That's how I found out about the TSB.

On your 4.6, the preferred burping method is to remove the plastic plug on the passenger-side-top of the rad, fit a tall funnel partially filled with coolant and let it idle for 30 minutes with the heater on. This will 'burp out any air trapped in the system.

Tom P.

crazyfish
10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Get the half empty quart of Yuengling out of the glove box?

Joe
10-30-2007, 12:18 PM
It was Corona, not Philly-beer!

Thanks Tom, I will try that.

(Updated Firefox and it ate all my bookmarks! Sorry for the delay thanking you for the solution.)

Craigness
03-18-2008, 06:55 AM
It's a factory beer can...

St Petes stout...

Replace with land rover brand spares...