PDA

View Full Version : A Freelander question, REALLY!!!

Rusty and Tad
10-30-2007, 07:40 AM
There is a Freeloader for sale near where I work. While it is a bit more than I wanted to spend, it is on my radar. The question I have for Freelander owners is: Is the reputation of an unreliable vehicle deserved? What problems are common? Are they just an annoyance or do they affect the driveability? Should I turn tail and run?

Thanks,
Tad

crazyfish
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Ask Chris Von C over at D-90 http://www.d-90.com/forum/

I'm pretty sure that's a walk-away from model. I think Ken has one from this board....

Frank84
11-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Turn and run.

My mom's is on the 3rd engine at 90k miles and trans is shifting a little funny now. Buy a CRV or something instead.

Ken Heaton
11-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Well, I don't know what to say. :confused: I have had my Freelander since May of 2002 and I bought it new. I have only 54,000 miles on it so thay my tell you something. But I have had really no problems with the vehicle. Then again I always get it servied at the dealer, maybe that helps. I think it is great, easily the best car, truck, whatever that I have ever owned. It does chew up front brakes, but I think most SUVs do. I have only replaced the window operators on the rear doors. One was under warranty so that was no cost. The second one was really my fault as I tend to slam the rear doors shut and I think that caused the problem. Other than that it has remained tight and runs fine. I did replace a few suspension bushings, but that is sort of normal also. I do hear that they tend to blow engines quickly if they overheat because of a bad cylinder wall design.

My Freelander runs great, it gets 18 -19 mpg in the city and over 22 mpg on the highway. It goes anywhere I want to go, it is the right size for me. I have test driven the LR3 and that is way too big for me as I am a single guy. I like the way the rear seats fold down and give cargo space. I have driven the LR2 and did like it, but thought it was just a mini version of the LR3, whereas the Freelander has a unique character about it. It truly is a quirky little British vehicle which I tend to favor. But that is only my opinion as I really have never talked to any other owners. Maybe some day the Freelander will be like the Nash Metropolitan. A memory of another era when the British car industry took a slightly different path than the mainstream.

Ken Heaton