PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change on 2003 Disco

TRex
11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I am truly a "Junior Wrencher", and I am about to attempt changing the oil + oil filter on my Disco for the 1st time.
I have the workshop manual, and it looks fairly straightforward, but...
If anyone has any advice/commentary on what type of oil to use, brands of filters, magical amulets to wear, etc, etc, that would be greatly appreciated.

Frank84
11-06-2007, 01:06 PM
you need 6.1 qts of oil (but check your owner's manual), oil filter, and a drain plug crush washer (optional)

1. put pan under engine and remove drain plug
2. while draining, fill oil filter half way with oil and wet the rubber seal with oil
3. after oil is done draining replace drain plug - replace crush washer on drain plug if you want to do it perfect
4. pour remainder of 6.1 qts into engine
5. put pan under oil filter and unscrew old oil filter (might need a strap wrench/oil filter wrench)
6. screw on new oil filter hand tight and then about 1/4-1/2 turn extra with the wrench
7. start engine, check for leaks, shut off engine, check oil level with dip stick.

Also, don't buy a Fram Oil Filter - there is no "anti-drain back valve". I think most others have it - Purolator, WIX, Napa Gold, K&N. If you already bought it, use it and don't get it again. I've been putting in Castrol (non-synthetic) - 10/40 in the summer and 5/30 in the winter.

cboy
11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
When you unscrew the old oil filter and oil drips down your elbow :D , make sure you clean the pool of oil that collects in the plastic shield. If not, the oil will spray all over the next time you go on a highway.

rmuller
11-06-2007, 04:54 PM
When you unscrew the old oil filter and oil drips down your elbow :D , make sure you clean the pool of oil that collects in the plastic shield. If not, the oil will spray all over the next time you go on a highway.

or just remove the plastic shield all together :)

TRex
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the replies - the info provided was invaluable.

mlp141
11-13-2007, 02:30 PM
The filter sits at a 45 deg. angle (Frank and I had this conversation en route to Robesonia Sunday) and you will get an oily arm. I suggest wearing latex medical gloves while doing the work. It makes for a much easier cleanup of the mechanic. Also, I will reiterate the part about oil collecting on the plastic tray. I started laying shop towels (the blue paper towel ones) on the tray before I even began to remove the filter.

Frank84
11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Funny how everyone keeps mentioning the oil collecting on the tray. That tray must be different on my dad's '99 DII because I've never had that problem - and I've changed the oil in that car 59 times from my calculations.

rmuller
11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Funny how everyone keeps mentioning the oil collecting on the tray. That tray must be different on my dad's '99 DII because I've never had that problem - and I've changed the oil in that car 59 times from my calculations.

How many miles are on that thing? If youve changed the oil 3k miles since new, thats 177k .. if you changed it 7500 like (wrongly) recommended by LR, thats 442,500.

crazyfish
11-13-2007, 05:26 PM
well, he also thinks he has 24 fingers and his IQ is 347 :)

cboy
11-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes, the 03-04 D2's have an additional plastic shield under the engine. The earlier D2's don't have this. There is a small access hole for your arm to reach the filter. I noticed there are 2 small holes drilled into the plastic on mine from when the dealer last changed the oil. I guess there is no good way to change the filter and the dealer just put holes in so the dirty oil drains out of the shield. I'm taking the shield off next time I do my oil.

I wrap a plastic bag around the old oil filter before I unscrew it so the oil drips into the bag instead of the tray.

Frank84
11-13-2007, 09:51 PM
How many miles are on that thing? If youve changed the oil 3k miles since new, thats 177k .. if you changed it 7500 like (wrongly) recommended by LR, thats 442,500.

Also, thank you Sean for your constructive comments as always. By the way, your membership expired last April. But the website does look great.

Last time I checked it there were 232k if I remember. The oil wasn't changed for the first 51k (nore was any added) and I changed it every 3k after except once by the dealer when the valve job was done. I think that makes 59 oil changes, but I didn't use a calculator. I'm probably going to jinx it now by saying this, but it has been rather trouble free (relatively speaking) for the last 60k. Perhaps these things get better as they get older.

TRex
11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
That is a pretty long life.
Mine only has 42K on it now.
Looks like I can look forward to a mighty long relationship with it...

Rineheitzgabot
12-07-2007, 06:21 AM
That darn 45 degree angle; The first time I changed the oil on mine, and to my vexation, had oil in my armpit, I had visions of an engineer, sitting at his cubicle inside the Land Rover offices, chuckling to himself before submitting his work to his boss. :rolleyes: