PDA

View Full Version : just saying hi

davefj40
11-07-2007, 05:39 PM
new to the rover thing, been a landcruiser head for 15 years. i picked up the tan series III 88 Solomon's boat yard cruiser by being home when a friend called (long story). have lot's of questions but i'm still googling most of them.

is there a easy disk brake swap that doesn't cost more then a axle swap? hoping to have it on the road by spring, need's the brakes looked at ( i have a 4 and 2 year old so free time is not so free).

hope to meet some of you soon.

dave

rvrsrvc
11-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the club!
For some reason the Solomon's Boat Yard Rover sounds familiar.
Most of my knowledge is on the air and coil sprung stuff: anybody know the answer for the conversion?

You should come to the Trials Sunday and meet some of the other addicts. And, I'll be bringing my almost 3 year old...

Trevor

siiirhd88
11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
The bolt on conversions that replace the swivels is the easiest, but costly.

You could do the Range Rover axle conversion, for reasonably cheap, depending on the cost of axles and your welding skills. If you want to keep the 4.70 gears you will need early 10 spline RR axles, and cut off all of the coil spring bits. Weld on generic 3 inch axle tube "speed shop" spring perches at the Series spring locations. The rear axle is easy, but the front will need the perch for the right side modified to a thinner profile due to the diff location. Since the RR tie rod is on the rear side of the swivel housings, spacers between the perch and spring will be needed to obtain clearance between the tie rod and the leaf spring. Wedges can be used to get the right castor angle. The RR axles are a few inches wider than the Series axles, but narrow early 109 16 inch wheels have enough offset to keep the tires under the stock wheel arches. I have RR axles under the wife's 109, but use 7 inch wide Disco steel wheels and rubber wheel flares.

Bob

is there a easy disk brake swap that doesn't cost more then a axle swap? hoping to have it on the road by spring, need's the brakes looked at

davefj40
11-07-2007, 09:42 PM
the rover swap sound like when you put fj-60 axles under a fj-40. sounds like a lot of work for a vehicle i'm not going to drive that much. drum's are fine for now, i believe it's a MC problem anyway. i could always make you guy's hate me right away and put the toyota axles i have behind the barn under it, read about that on Pirate.

how far away is that trial's thing? my 4yr old would probably love it, i'm in Fairhill maryland, right near delaware/pa state lines.

thanks for the help so far.

dave

galen211
11-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Look like you are about an hour and a half away, come on out!
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&1a=&1c=Fair%20Hill&1s=MD&1z=&1n=Cecil%20County&1y=US&1l=R8QPoQsS9hcFLismYf3duA%3d%3d&1g=lQOmGoTicYlI%2f6%2fuDoXLHg%3d%3d&1v=CITY&2a=&2c=robesonia&2s=pa&2z=&2y=US&2l=&2g=&2pn=&2pl=&2v=&2ffi=&2ex=&2n=

Don't worry we like FJ people and as far as the Toy axles, that happens more than you think. http://www.seriestrek.com/

pbmonk
11-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I guess your truck has power brakes so thats better than a lot of series Land Rovers here. I'd suggest just restoring the brakes you have. They aren't great but before spending lots of cash on disk brakes it might be an idea to see if you can stand the regular brakes (I think you could go to LWB drums cheaper).

What are the symptoms with your brakes?

BTW I'm in Newark

davefj40
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
brakes are mushy, tom said he thought the MC was bad the last he knew of the truck. i haven't even had time to take a wheel off or anything yet. i just know on the cruisers switching to disk is what you do because it's easy and cheaper the drums.

pbmonk, if you want to come check it out i always have a good IPA on tap in the barn. i'm right at Fairhill.

see what i can pull off for the trials, i drive around 3+ hrs a day for work so i'm usually hard pressed to drive that far on the weekends.

dave

Evan
11-08-2007, 02:54 PM
On one door? Say its not so .. Mike sold his series ?
Mike was one of the founding members of ROVERS, His wife was the tres. for many years

Welcome to the board !

davefj40
11-08-2007, 05:45 PM
from what i know he is really sick, but that's what i heard thru the dealer he traded it into.

dave

siiirhd88
11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm not too far from you, over in York County, Pa. I will likely be heading thru Fair Hill on my way to lower Delaware on Saturday, driving the wife's disc brake 109. I want to go to Robesonia on Sunday, but family committments won't let that happen.

Bob

davefj40
11-09-2007, 05:46 AM
i'll be here, pm me if you want some directions.

dave

galen211
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
We need to see some pics!

davefj40
11-09-2007, 06:00 PM
yea, i leave at 5:30 and get home at 5:30. try to get some tomorrow. i haven't even really looked at this thing that close yet (haven't paid for it either :(

got time without kids tomorrow so we will see what happens.

dave

siiirhd88
11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Dave,

It now looks like I will be heading through Fair Hill early on Sunday, and heading back home in the afternoon. Available then?

Bob

i'll be here, pm me if you want some directions.

dave

davefj40
11-09-2007, 09:23 PM
yup, i should be home.

davefj40
11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
well it was nice meeting bob, even if it was a little crazy at my house at the time. got to see what my rover may one day be like. was going to take some pics but the brakes are gone right now and i couldn't get it out of the barn.

dave

siiirhd88
11-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Great looking SIII, Dave, even though the steering wheel is on the left side. You need to paint the boatyard logo on both doors.... It was interesting meeting you, the family, the pups and your friends. Keep in touch, and let me know when you need some help.

Bob