PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a series from the UK....HELP!

MDDisco
11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
hey guys,
i have met some of you at Robesonia (Blue 03' disco) and what a blast that was. I have been looking into a series vehicle for a while now SWB IIa/III. I been looking at LRX, trader website, ebay.... and everything seems high for what it is. I have been looking on UK websites and seeing the same vehicles for a heck of alot less and nicer. Im really looking for a somewhat clean diesel. I know there is shipping/ duty/ tax but it still doesnt justify the prices over here IMO.... Anyways... if you all were looking for a series would you have it imported over? Any advice? Thanks!!
-Ryan

Frank84
11-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Best person (that I know) to talk to is Tom Bache. He doesn't visit the forum but he uses the yahoo email list or you can just email him directly. I'll PM you his email address. Tom was at Robesonia helping out with the marshalling - he drove up in his white '95 LWB but didn't compete.

By the way - he might even have one for sale too.

galen211
11-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Tom is finishing up an 88" diesel right now.

What you can expect from UK LR's is rust. You need to be VERY careful about the frames. Over there they are more likely to do shoddy frame fixes or give them an "undercoating" which is really just a way to cover up the rust. In pictures it may look good but it won't be long before your replacing frame parts.

In my experience UK owners treat their LR's like Jeep owners here. They do fixes to get them by, but not necessarily correct. I have spent a tremendous amount of time on mine taking things back to the way it should be.

Now this is not to say I wouldn't buy one from over there, but I wouldn't do it unless I personally looked at the vehicle or had someone I know/trust look at it.

Lastly, if i was going to get a Series diesel and spend the money to ship it, I would find a truck that someone retrofitted a 200 or 300tdi into, the Series 2.25 diesel is as slow as it gets.

LRX, ebay, etc are not a good indicator of what you can get in the U.S. Stick to the club sites and people you know. Sven and I both paid under $3500 for ours and for weekend trucks they are great. Granted I have put a lot into mine, more than I will ever return out of it, but you can't help but not grin when you go offroad in one.

pygmypotomus
11-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Those are all excellent points. I have a truck on the way with my fingers crossed. I've imported 3 other cars but this is my first Landy. If you want the info for a great shipper let me know.
Sharon

crazyfish
11-16-2007, 02:43 PM
If you can't see it in person, or know the person you are buying it from, Don't buy it. Lot's of Series people in here who would be willing to help look at something.

galen211
11-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I know where there is a really nice red one for sale.:D

crazyfish
11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I know where there is a really nice red one for sale.:D

and it's in the next LRM issue too!

firemanshort
11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I have imported to Series trucks from the UK.

Everything said above is true - very true.

I have used a Land Rover shop to help me and the guys there are great. They understand things like budgets - but have the ability to satisfy any requirement. They can look at a truck for you or sell you one of thiers. I have bought both of mine private party and had him take care of the rest. He has also worked out all the shipping and paperwork stuff for me, too.

Highly recomended.

Mark Griffiths,
Land Rover Centre Huddersfield

Bridge Street,
Lockwood,
Huddersfield,
HD4 6EL,
United Kingdom.

Telephone (UK) 01484 - 542092 (INT) + 44 1484 542092 FAX (UK) 01484 - 545534 (INT) + 44 1484 545534

E:Mail mark@landrovercentre.com
Web page www.landrovercentre.com

MDDisco
11-16-2007, 05:32 PM
I have seen Landrovercentre on the web but I can afford those types of prices. Some series they want 10000-19999GBP for it.. that 20K-40K for a Series!!! Seems frickin crazy. Im looking for one that runs good and reliable. I had alot of fun at the LR event but I really dont want to F'up my disco.. especially cause Im still paying on it. I appreciate all the advice form everyone. THanks!!!

firemanshort
11-16-2007, 08:52 PM
The Land Rover Centre sells top quality trucks at top dollar. You get what you pay for.

They do help out if you go private. I bought mine off e-bay. It was pretty cheap. They collected it, fixed it up and shipped it for me. The truck before that, they just poured some spare parts in the back and shipped it. They can serve as a trusted agent for you in the UK. They charge for thier time but it is cheaper than a plane ticket to the UK and doing it yourself.

But, since the old US $$ is falling so severly in value - shopping in the UK can sometimes turn out to not be a good bargain.

Cheapest option is to pull someone's frustrated and abandoned project out of thier garage in the US and finish it up. You have to wait and troll a lot of classified boards. The UK option is quickest and gets you the most flexibility in what you can get.

pbmonk
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM
My 109 came over in a container organized by Tom Bache. Using a container has the advantage that you can fill the truck with spares and junk. I think two 109s fit in a 40ft container (with room for other stuff) but check with him.

The other option is RORO. I can't speak from experience but this option might be cheaper (on the other hand you can't load up on spares).

My truck had most of the faults/advantages mentioned in previous e-mails. It had a new frame but workmanship was very poor. Even safety related lock tabs on the steering were not properly fastened. The brake lines took new and exotic routes. The wiring (new) was installed without clips.

Its expensive to get stuff done there (even if you can find a reliable mechanic). My biggest mistake was to have repairs done in the UK before importing.

Obvious point: it will be RHD. This means a LWB with a canvas roof or without windows in the side would be a severe challenge (maybe even an SWB would be difficult). On the other hand a station wagon is OK (except at tolls or parking decks).

Make sure you get the appropriate DVLA paperwork for export as this simplifies titling here (at least I had no problem at all in DE).

pygmypotomus
12-04-2007, 11:40 AM
If you wind up importing your own, I don't mind helping you with the Baltimore end (ie driving you down, taking you through the steps to collect your truck). It was convoluted and time consuming but nothing you can't handle. It's definitely worth being your own broker, unless you make $300/ day at work.

Rusty and Tad
12-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Does that offer extend to Midwesterners? I am thinking about getting another Landy (someone shoot me!) and I am looking into the Ro/Ro costs right now.

You can e me at bikesnrovers at gmail com.

Thanks,

Tad

crazyfish
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Tad, contact Tom B and talk to him. They bring over a container every now and then.

I still think buying from a club member or one you can look at is best......

pygmypotomus
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I can't promise to give you a lift from Chicago, sorry. The company I like (Wallenius Wilhelmsen) only delivers to Baltimore, near San Diego, and Tacoma (near Seattle). You will have a long drive / transport if you are truly in the MidWest. I'd look at something already here.

Rusty and Tad
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
But what I want isn't here! :rolleyes:

I am actually just seeing how expensive it would be to import a Landy. There are a couple that I am interested in and I am just getting shipping quotes now. Ro/Ro I think is the cheaper way to go. I will find out.

Yes, I could look here but I already have one of those - NADA truck.

Tad

crazyfish
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
ok, spill the beans, what are you looking for?

pygmypotomus
12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Tony White
Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics
Southampton, United Kingdom
Phone Direct: +44 (0)23 80715223
Fax : +44 (0) 23 80 334263
E-mail: tony.white@2wglobal.com
Internet: www.2wglobal.com

This is my guy - I've imported 5 cars with him. A lightweight / 88" truck from Southampton to Baltimore is $1000-1200.

Rusty and Tad
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
ok, spill the beans, what are you looking for?

Well... I have been talking to a gent on the Series 2 Club board about his 1960 88 pickup.

But what I really would eventually like to find is a FC - ideally a 101 but a IIB or IIC would be OK, too. I passed one up in Arizona and I am kicking myself now.