PDA

View Full Version : Head Removed with Pics

sven
11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Got the head off tonight. I was surprised how loose all the manifold bolts were...I was expecting worse.

# One cylinder was very wet. Im thinking its oil, not coolant. Coolant would steam clean the top of the piston. Im thinking the oil is leaking down through the valve seals?

Ist pic is the wet cylinder. 2 pic is what the other 3 looked like.

sven
11-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I also noticed the gasket has a lot of blackness between cylinders 2 and 3. Also a little between 3 and 4. Check out the pics. Also if you notice in pic #1, you can see teh color of my antifreeze..brown.

sven
11-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Picture of the patient!

Rusty and Tad
11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I think you may have two problems here, both related... the first is that this block was separated before and the head was not torqued down properly, and thus blew the gasket between the cylinders. Or that the gasket just gave up the ghost.

The next is that the head has warped/cracked and it should be checked.

But what I don't know is if this would explain ingress of oil into one cylinder.

Good looking patient, by the way.

Tad

firemanshort
11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Slightly different question...

How did you cut the cardboard inserts for all the holes in the block? That looks really clean and neat.

Did you sand the top of the block with sand paper after you filled in the holes? I have heard that sanding was a good technique to prepare the surface for the new gasket but always worried about the debris getting in th engine.

Rusty and Tad
11-21-2007, 10:25 AM
I think it is the gasket laying on cardboard.

That's what happens when you drive one of those *new* trucks, your vision goes! :p

Tad

rvrsrvc
11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Ah, but one could use the headgasket as a pattern to cut out the cardboard inserts!
I don't think I'd use anything with the word sand in it on the block unless you were going to pull the pistons and clean the block/bores!
Definetly have a machine shop crack/pressure check the head and skim cut it before fitting the new gasket.
Do you have a place that you can just let the garden hose run through the block to wash away some of teh rusty water? I think prestone makes a rust inhibitor that will help remove the scale when the engine is back together. It may take several flushes to get the loose stuff out.
And with the weather getting colder, keep on top of the antifreese levels while doing this so that it doesn't freeze up and destroy all of your hard work!

firemanshort
11-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I think it is the gasket laying on cardboard.

That's what happens when you drive one of those *new* trucks, your vision goes! :p

Tad

OK - I am an idiot. Never mind. I will get my coat and head out to my new truck.

galen211
11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
OK - I am an idiot. Never mind. I will get my coat and head out to my new truck.

lol, I was looking at it the same way you were!

Rusty and Tad
11-22-2007, 09:06 AM
OK - I am an idiot.Hardly! You sure did do the Stage One purchase the right way!

kirkt
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe I'm an idiot too, but why does piston #1 have that ring imprint in the gunk on the piston face?

rvrsrvc
11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Hee, hee, hee! The piston is at the bottom of the cylinder and the dark ring is the top of the piston... I don't know the technical term-is it paralax (sp)?-for the optical illusion.

Rusty and Tad
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh, wow! Freaky man! Now that I look at it that way it does look like a ring on the piston.

sven
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
My camera was flashing the low battery warning when I took these pics..:p That explains the phototrickery.

Anyways, I ordered up some unleaded valves, seats, guides, decoke gasket set from Rovahfarm. A machine shop here in town is going to cut in the new seats, press in new guides, do a valve job. He does a lot of tractor work but isnt that the same as a LR :D

In the meantime I'm rebuilding the Zenith (also doing all the relevant zenith fixes for warp), installing a Pertronix, and installing a new 109 master cylinder. I guess this is my xmas gift for myself!

Rusty and Tad
11-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Nice present! I am sure you are going to come out of this with a hot rod Land Rover! Well, kinda. After all it is a Land Rover!:eek:

crazyfish
11-29-2007, 05:11 PM
a hot rod Land Rover!

Now that's a phrase I don't see often! Wait, maybe never saw.....