PDA

View Full Version : Serendipity for Wille the Freelander

Ken Heaton
11-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Since no one ever posts about Freelanders I might as well (and perhaps I am the only owner of one in the club):rolleyes: Everyone knows about the Freelander front brake problem and my brakes were overdue for a change. I was told when I had it inspected and also at my last service for scheduled maintenance that they were pretty bad. It was making the squealing sound and shaking a bit when stopping, it was time. So, on Monday during lunch I was just about to pick up the telephone and call the dealer and set up an appointment to have the front pads and rotors changed, when for some strange reason I decided to check my personal email. I saw a message from Atlantic British that said "tired of paying high prices for dealer brake service on your Freelander( I was), want better performance (yes) and longer brake life (sure) then buy EBC brakes and do it yourself. On sale now." I mean things like this happern for a reason.

I called Atlantic British and ordered the EBC brakes. That night I also bought a Freelander shop manual and downloaded it on line. ($20.00) It has over 900 pages of information and you just plot out what you want. The next day I had to travel to Spokane, WA and when I got back in the office on Friday, my package from Atlantic British was sitting on my floor. (along with my package from Lands End) On Friday night I printed out all the pages from the manual I would need. I also bought a disk brake spreader for $7.00 at a local auto parts store.

On Saturday afternoon I installed the brakes, the first set took one and a half hours and the second set took 45 minutes. Anyway the point is the car runs great, no shaking or shuddering when I stop. Much smoother at speed. It even accelerates faster because the front wheels don't shake.:D

All in all I saved about $200.00 based on dealer prices from Dec 2005 when I had the same thing done. So, I saved a bit of money, but I think I made an improvement over the factory brakes.

Rob P
11-18-2007, 09:18 PM
cool beans and good for you for doing them youself. Brakes, Disk anyway, are some of the easiest things you can do at home I think. Drum brakes take some getting used to but are home doable also.

Now bring that Freelander to the next Trials event and play with us.

crazyfish
11-18-2007, 11:55 PM
he's rebuilding a series too - of course so far it looks perfect, so we'll see what he brings out :)

Ken Heaton
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
:confused:

"Now bring that Freelander to the next Trials event and play with us."

Maybe when Wille gets older he can become a trials vehiiiiicle!! (Of course, by then I will be too old for trials.) I wonder what modifications would be needed to make a Freelander into a competive trials contender, I have heard the ground clearance is too low for starters. Maybe some heavier shocks are in order.

Frank84
11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
You're right about the front brakes being a problem with the Freelander - needing replacement so often. But nobody ever congratulates it for having amazing rear brakes. My mom's Freelander has over 90k on the original rear brake shoes - they have outlasted two engines!

firemanshort
11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Freelanders make fine trail vehicles. I followed one in my Series truck last outing and he only got hung up on ground clearance one time.