PDA

View Full Version : Dealer vs. Do It Yourself

Ken Heaton
11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
:confused:
Well, I don't want to get too carried away with Freelander posts, but since I decided to change my brakes and it worked out so good and saved money I decided to change the oil and filter by myself. First off, it cost:
Oil Filter $17.91
6 Quarts of Mobil One $44.34
Total $62.25

The last time I had the dealer change the oil it was about $84.0, so there appears to be a slight savings, but I also had to buy a wrench to remove the filter ($9.99) and I bought a cool funnel($7.99). (I have a thing about funnels, I own all types) The cool feature of this funnel is that it has a cap top and bottom. You know how funnels get right? Use it once then set it in the corner for a while, you want to use it again and it is all crudded up with dust, dirt, bugs, spider webs, etc. This funnel stays clean because it gets sealed up, no mess gets inside. It is also big enough to hold over a quart of oil which is nice.

Anyway, the job went as follows. First get the car up in the air, which takes a while using a floor jack and stands. Then you have to get the shield which protects the bottom of the vehicle off. This was the hardest part, as the bolts were quite tight. I used Never Sieze when I put it back on to make it easier for next time. Changing the filter and draining the oil was easy. So it was not a bad job, just a lot of crawling around on the floor.

Then you have to take the used oil to the recycle center. So all in all, it is probably better to have the dealer do it and a whole lot easier. At least I got to check out the bottom of the vehicle. The Freelander may be the baby of the chain, but it is very well constructed, solid. I could have probably got the filter at the dealer and saved a few dollars as the shipping costs were about as much as the filter.

So this put me off on changing the transmission fluid, as it looks a bit more difficult, so I will just let the dealer do it along with the next oil change.

I promise not to post another new Freelander thread anytime soon.

Evan
11-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Where in Allentown are ?

crazyfish
11-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Keep posting! I love the trial and error stuff, plus I've seen your Series pictures, you are way ahead..

I think he's in a better neighborhood Evan :)

Evan
11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Is there something wrong with my neighborhood ?

aside from the need to wear a flack jacket...

Ken Heaton
11-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Where in Allentown are ?
Evan,
I am on S. 24th St. near Mosser St., you are at what 9th and Green St?

I meet you out at the Trials in Robesonia a few weeks ago.

Ken Heaton
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I've seen your Series pictures, you are way ahead..

:)
I should post some more pictures, actually lately I am making good progress. I plan to bleed the brakes today and later remount the steering so it is coming along.

Ken Heaton
03-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Actually, being a regular customer at a dealer does have some advantages. :o The dealer sends out gift certificates for parts and service from time to time, (although you can't use them for clothing) recently I got a $25.00 gift certificate. Since I did not have any service that needed to be done before the expiration date, I was able to use it to get two free oil filters for my Freelander. This will really cut down on the costs of the next oil change as buying filters from the online parts places actually costs quite a bit more money when the shipping charges are included. The dealer charges $10.88 and the online suppliers are about $10.00 for the same filter, so when you include shipping it does not make sense to order online. At least for me, as the Land Rover Dealership is on my way home from work, so I can just stop in at any time.

The Freelander has been quite economical lately, at least on the service end of things(actually fuel has not been too bad either, about 19.0 mpg city, over 21 mpg highway). I have had no major repair bills in some time, other than the brake job I did myself. Having said that, it almost didn't start leaving the dealership today, but then what better place to breakdown, ahh?

Life as one of the few Freelander owners.

oscar
03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Is there something wrong with my neighborhood ?

Not as long as you wear one of these:

http://www.int-int.biz/acatalog/covert_vest_kevlar.jpg