PDA

View Full Version : D1 Stalling

Tom109
11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
We're experiencing occasional stalling in our 1996 D1 - just about every stop once the engine is up to temp (or it runs fine the whole trip w/o a stall!?). The IACV is new earlier this year, which cured a low/hunting idle, and it has run fine up til now. Am I correct in singling-out the IACV for stalling?

On DiscoWeb, everyone is quick to run SeaFoam through the engine. I'm hesitant, but when I pull the IACV tonight I expect to find it gummed-up, which will indicate some sort of intake cleaning is needed.

Any other suggestions for stalling at stops?

Tom P.

sven
11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
How are your PVC hoses? Those seem to cause all sorts of idle problems.

Frank84
11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Just some other things that come to mind to check that i've had problems with myself on various cars that produced the same problem -

1. vacuum hoses unhooked or cracked near the intake manifold
2. something not tight on the intake tract letting in air after the MAFS
3. spark plugs cracked insulator/worn/improperly gapped
4. water in gas - put in a bottle of dry gas

rvrsrvc
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Near the throttle plate is an air bleed adjustment screw. (It is ususally covered by a tamper proof plug.) Sometimes the base idle needs an adjustment after cleaning the IAC.

87xj95disco
11-29-2007, 10:07 AM
my 95 did the same thing for a while
the airflow meter was acting up dont know y
i disconnected the wire to the airflow meter and the battery
left it site for 15 min then hooked back up.
dont know if it will work on our 96 but it worked on mine.
good luck.

Tom109
11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
All the vacuum lines "look' OK. I'll wait for the weekend before I try to wrestle any of them off. The IACV is clean, and only 6 months old. I did unplug the MAF, and put a little dielectric grease on the connector before re-plugging. It ran OK last night, but on a very short ~8-mile round trip.

I'll really inspect the hoses and PCV path this weekend.

Thanks,

Tom P.