PDA

View Full Version : Need ignition help!

rvrsrvc
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I think this 24v Series IIa is suffering from a defective ignition coil. I understand they are hard to find and very expensive. I'd like to borrow somebody's 4 cylinder complete distributor/cap rotor wires and coil to fit to this engine and see if I'm right. I figure I could buy a lot of 12v ignition for the price of a 24v coil ($500!)
Who's got what?
Trevor

crazyfish
12-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Gabor at SkyTop Rover in Philly. A bit of an odd character, but he has parts.

Then again, get Larry involved and convert to 12v and solve the problem once.

siiirhd88
12-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I have a nearly new complete 12V Lucas distributor you can borrow. I probably have a spare coil, but you can use a generic 12V internal resistance coil available anywhere.

I wanted to come by your shop anyway, but I can't make it until Friday.

Bob

scatterling
12-05-2007, 12:03 AM
did you want to try another 24 Volt coil to see if it is actually a bad coil? - I have a spare

rvrsrvc
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Bob,
Friday's good.
2477 Old Hershey Road
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
I'm finishing a Disco engine overhaul so the pace is a little slower. I have 12v coils around.
As far as fitting a 24v coil, I just think that as he's not using the radios, I may as well convert to 12v. But I do want to prove it out first.
Here's what happens-start it on the choke, all is well, can idle for a while. Drive it, it'll get to 55mph the way a healthy 2.25 will. Lift off the throttle for a stop sign, the engine stalls. After restart, has no power-wont pull 20 mph on a slight incline. Engine is not misfiring, no back fire through carb-just plain flat on power. Let it sit and repeat the cycle.
Work done recently-fuel tank was leaking, coated by GasTankRenu-lining still intact. On third fuel pump-first failed, second replaced with another style w/o float bowl and supposedly higher volume/pressure. Weber carb fitted. New points and condensor- had one condensor fail after about 400 miles. Eliminated floor mat that was restricting throttle from 100% opening, adjusted pedal stop also.
The shielding on the ignition wiring makes it difficult to determine point dwell or ignition timing, but setting the points at about .016" and moving the distributor around-i can make it pre detonate- doesn't change the symptoms. Phil's tired of the inconsistent performance and I'm frustrated. It had to have worked well at some point in it's life, so I know it can run better than this!

siiirhd88
12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I should be there Friday around noon. I will see if I have extra ignition wires, it is likely that I do.

Bob