PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Trevor
12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm torn. I'm faced with replacing the bellows on my Classic's air suspension. I like the concept of the air suspension and can do the bellows at a cost of about $400. This would be less expensive than converting to coils, but there are so many other, more costly, components that could (will) need to be replaced in the future.

For coils, I would probably go with a 2" RTE or OME setup. My question is, if I switch to coils, will I need any mods/upgrades other than the coils themselves and the shocks?

What about the 2.5" Scorpion Racing lift?

Thanks,

Trevor

rvrsrvc
12-16-2007, 10:11 AM
A couple of things:
1) When you raise the vehicle with springs, and use the original shocks, you'll lose downward travel when the suspension articulates. An easy remedy is to fit upper shock mounts for the rear that lower the mounting pin two inches. Instantly return the shock absorber to it's full range of travel. I like Expedition Exchange's product, about $150. And you can keep the sway bar.

2)You'll want to reposition the brass brake pipe tee and mounting bracket on the rear axle. Unbolt the tee from the bracket, straighten the bracket and rotate the tee so that the brake hoses point up instead of horizontally.

3) The front shocks on an EAS Rover are outside the bladder on brackets specific to the EAS Rover. The coil sprung Rovers have the shock running through the center of the coil. You can do this on yours when fitting the springs; it involves a set of shock towers and retaining rings. ($100)Unfortunately, the EAS shocks won't work with those towers so you'll have to consider another pair of shocks. (Bilstein or OME are about $85 a shock).

4) Or, an alternative to the buying new shocks for the front , you could keep your original shocks and purchase a set of retainers to secure the spring. (The shocks act as retainers if the spring comes unseated.) Oh, yeah, spring seats if you are buying just springs as opposed to someone's conversion kit!

5)Definitely suggest diff guards reguardless of what decision you make with the suspension-so much o the terrain we play on is rocky and the front diff is very vulnerable. $150 for a pair of weld-ons from RTE.

6) My RR has 2" RTE, with the RTE shock mounts, RTE and EE spring retainers, sway bars and 235/85 tyres. The other day I refitted the EAS front shocks so now I have a 4 shock set-up in the front, but other than that it's identical to what I've outlined above. You're welcome to take it for a test drive on the test track when you bring the other wheels up for the Synchrones!

Trevor
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info Trevor. I'm now leaning towards the coils. It seems like the more reliable and economical (long term) route.

Anyone know anything about the quality of britpart coils? I saw a two inch suspension kit (inc. coils and shocks) for 180 pounds (which is roughly $400). The coils have the same ratings as the RTE set up (225lbs. front, 300-340lbs. rear). The shocks are Pro Comp. I couldn't find much about the quality of the product, however. The price difference does make me a little skeptical.

You're welcome to take it for a test drive on the test track when you bring the other wheels up for the Synchrones!

When would it suit to bring the wheels over? I left a message on your voicemail last week, thought maybe you were on vacation. Let me know what works best for you. I wouldn't mind taking you up on the test drive either. Thanks.

-Trevor

rvrsrvc
12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Not a big fan of the Procomp-I've always had good success with the Bilsteins and OME's so I guess I'm unwilling to travel out of that comfort zone.

Even with shipping, aren't RTE springs under $400?

Vacation? Nope. Just poor phone etiquette. I was trying to finish everything in the driveway last week, now this week, so that i can do stuff to and around the house and barn. You're welcome to drop of the wheels anytime and I'll get them done by this Friday, before I head out to Baltimore.

2" typically doesn't cause driveline vibes or driveshaft woes. You will lose a little castor on the front axle so the steering will feel "lighter" without as much self-centering. If it makes one uncomfortable, it is correctable with replacment radius arms (RTE) or redrilled swivel balls. The arms are much easier to fit and will most likely resolve the wander. I have yet to do that to my RRC, but it is on the list.
The 95's have a rubber coupling called a rotoflex on the rear driveshaft. The increased lift is likely to accelarate wear on that component and the best solution would be to replace the rear driveshaft with one from a Discovery1 or earlier RRC SWB. The differential drive flange also has to be changed out.

The rotoflex new is around $100 and the driveshaft kit, new, is around $400 from Atlantic British. Salvage parts make sense here, except for the drive flange. Used ones are likely to have a groove worn on the seal race that can be fixed with a Speedi-sleeve, but the cost of the flange is terrible...

Trevor
12-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I believe the RTE springs are $300 w/o shipping. The Britpart kit is about $400 for the coils and the shocks. Coils and shocks from RTE are $600 to $630 depending on which shocks you choose.

The cost of the britpart springs only is $217.

I'll probably end up getting the RTE set up.

Thanks again,

Trevor

P.S. I'll probably bring the wheels out today or tomorrow

rvrsrvc
12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Reread the post and saw that! I have a nearly new OME steering damper for your RangeRover if you want to include that in your build-up.
I'll be in the shop all day tomorrow.

Trevor
01-25-2008, 07:10 PM
My Rovertym springs (2") arrived yesterday, and Alberta now has her new stance up front. I still have to do the rear coils, its looking good so far though. It's a huge improvement compared to the air susp that's been on soft fault since I bought her in Oct.. Can't wait to see how they handle.

I have a nearly new OME steering damper for your RangeRover if you want to include that in your build-up.

Still available? I call and maybe come over tomorrow if it suits.

-Trevor II

rvrsrvc
01-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Sold it to Art for his 92 build-up.
I've got a customer coming over at 10 to pick up his Rangie, and then I think MAx and I are going to the car show. Want to come over at 10am for the lug nuts?

Trevor
01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Want to come over at 10am for the lug nuts?

Sounds good, see you then.

Thanks,

Trevor II

P.S. Trevor- After removing my rear bellows, I'll bet you have a 12mm open end wrench that is ground down. Who designed that air line connection? Just enough room to put a wrench on, but don't think for a second you can turn it.

Trevor
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Here she is on her new coils.

One job done, but the list just seems to keep growing- convert from rotoflex shaft to u joint, billsteins, steering damper, bumper, diff. guards, coolant hoses, plug wires, oil hoses, rock sliders... and that's just stuff that hasn't broken yet.

Thanks for the all the advice on this project Trevor

-Trevor II