+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1953 Series 1

Default 1953 Series 1

I now own a 1953 Series 1 Rover. It seems pretty solid, although the steering needs to be sorted out.

A long time ago I rebuilt a 1952 80", so this is my second time around with an 80" Rover. I'm in need of a muffler, if anyone has one. I suspect I'll also need a steering relay, although I recall that it's the same as an SIIA.

This was a fire tender originally, I found a picture of it (NLR 936) on page 113 of LROI from Sept 1998 (I knew I was keeping that issue for a reason . . .), although all the fire equipment is gone now. So it was always red. Should be a fun project . . .

Regards,
    Jeremy Bannister
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg‎
Views:	529
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg‎
Views:	504
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg‎
Views:	568
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	479  

Awesome!! Nothing looks as good as a Series I!

Didn't know you were a Series guy Jeremy.
    '59 SII

Default Pure Envy

Whoa. Awesome.

Enjoy all of it's spendor. A vehicle like that is majestic, no matter it's environment.

Where do you live? No, Seriously, I think, by the background that it is the east coast. I can tell by the cloud formations and the architectural standards of the housing nearby...

C'mon please tell me...

Now that's awesome. More pictures, more story!
    1966 109 SW The Short Bus

Suh-weeeeet.
    1974 SIII Lightweight "Pongo"

Default More details . . .

I kind of wondered if an 80" would generate interest. On the one hand, it's the original Series Land-Rover. But on the other hand, it's not of much practical value. So I'm happy that there are some other enthusiasts out there.

I live near West Chester. As I said, it's solid and pretty original. For instance, the wheels are all date-coded 1-53. The electrical switches are original and work. The speedo shows around 66k, and it works, so maybe that's accurate. The rear cross-member was replaced at some point, but was done cleanly. The fenders, radiator panel and front bumper are original, evidenced by the holes from the missing brackets for fire equipment. I am optimistic that I'll be able to trace the history, and the fact that it was a Land-Rover publicity vehicle originally should make that easier. None of the fire equipment remains with it.

While I'm sure 45 mph will be top cruising speed, we plan to get it out to ROVERS events and the occasional car show when the weather breaks . . .

Regards,
    Jeremy

Default Progress report and pictures

So I spent a few hours today delving deeper into the steering issue. I removed the bent drag link and track rod. A friend with a press and experience said he's sure he can straighten them up.

I had suspected the steering relay was stiff, but it's fine. The problem is that the outer tube of the steering column moves in and out of the box itself. This is especially pronounced at full steering lock.

Originally, a 1953 would have had an alloy steering box, but it now has a steel one. From what I can tell, it's still an 80" box, so probably from an earlier car, rather than from a later one. Unless anyone has any other suggestions (and I'm all ears), I'm going to remove the steering box and see what's going on inside it.

The good news is that I didn't uncover any horrors when I removed the fender.

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Box.jpg‎
Views:	467
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.jpg‎
Views:	469
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fenderless.jpg‎
Views:	536
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	485  

any progress or updates? I'd like to see this in action!!
    -Derek

Default Some progress and some excuses

First let me say that your 110 looks amazing. I can't wait to see it!

I have a long list of excuses for not making more progress on the 1953. But it is safely stored in a new addition to my workshop, waiting for the grass to grow up between the new driveway pavers (the inspiration for that solution came from Stuart Echols' driveway).

The steering would be completely fixed if I had realized that the splines inside the steering wheel are toast. I have a spare, so I just need to change it, although that task is slightly more complicated in an 80" because of the tube that passes through to bottom of the steering box. It will absolutely be at the ROVERS picnic this summer.

My view after 4 months: It's really old. Maybe not decrepit, but geriatric. The 1951 that I bought for parts is too good not to build. As soon as I have a couple of other projects out of the way, I am going to embark on a long-term build of the 1951 as a competent trail truck.

Thanks for asking, Derek.

Regards,
    Jeremy

Default 1953 series 1

Very cool truck, jim

+ Reply to Thread