+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To parabolic or not to parabolic that is the question!

Default To parabolic or not to parabolic that is the question!

After the Robesonia event, I have learned that I need new springs.
    Should I go with the parabolic or stick with the ome springs? Are their advantages one has over the other?

Finally can they be installed in one's garage with nothing more that a standard tool box and a large hammer or is this better taken to a garage?

If you truly need new springs then by all means go the parabolic route. They are essentially the same price and on road feel in much better. Off-road you will still get beat up, but it will be a little better.

The hardest part of a spring swap is getting the bushing out of the frame. Other than that it is easy pretty easy and standard tools will get the job done.
    '59 SII

Default Para's

Hi:
    I went the para route this past Nov.. Not looking back one bit.. Totally different truck with them. I walked up the hill that you got stuck on at Robesonia, I would always get stuck at the the same spot you did with out the para's. Old springs were fused together with little or no flex. Did them in a day, If that is any help. I have heard some real horror stories on the other hand.
    Last edited by LC Rover; 04-21-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    LC Rover
    1974 MOD 88

I had a nightmare getting the bushings off even though I followed every bit of advice. I did it at a local station on a lift. We cut and burned them out, and it was still a bitch. Others have been more lucky.

From junky flat springs to new parabolics was a no brainer. Also raised it up about and inch which is nice.
    1966 109 SW The Short Bus

read somewhere, maybe even on this forum, that putting the bushings in a freezer for a while really helps in getting them in - my two cents

What brand of parabolics are you guys running? There seems to be lots of differences between brands, how many leafs, etc.

Larry which brand did yoiu put install? Also did you do it yourself or with a friend?

I have seen prices all over the board on the parabolics, $500 to $1000.

I was thinking about using the 3 leaf rear, and 2 leaf in the front seems to be standard.

Any thoughts on brands...

I have TI console and they are just fine. Honestly, while they will each have pros and cons, all of the them are probably better than stock. I went with 4 on the back of my 109 and wish I had gone with 3. Heard good things about the Rocky Mountain springs also.
    1966 109 SW The Short Bus

Default Parabolics

I went with Rocky Mountain - 2-leaf front and 3-leaf rear for a 109 2-door. I've got a set in my garage right now, just waiting for the right weekend to install them.

Tom P.

I concur with everyone else. Not sure of brand on mine as the truck had them when I bought it, but it has two leaf rears on a hardtop and I think they are sagging a little. I also have major sag to the driver's side. I think that is a sign that it's time to lay off the potato chips. sigh....
    '59 SII

+ Reply to Thread