+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Series III Fuel Pump

Default Series III Fuel Pump

Does anyone have any experience with the newer style fuel pump for a Series? Yesterday the fuel pump, original style with glass bowl, in my Series died, is leaking out of the diaphragm portion. It is about three years old although I haven't driven the vehicle much until lately. From what I have found out, the original style with glass bowl, is not a Genuine Land Rover part, but a repro model. Is the newer style better? Are changes required to make it fit?
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

I have the newer style non-glass bowl fuel pump in my 109, and have had no problems with it. Instead of the flipper below the pump for hand priming, it has a thin handle to the side for the same function.

Bob

Default Series Fuel Pump Problem

I have been talking to several people about the problem with the fuel pump leaking in the older Series vehicles and the concern is the 10% ethanol in the gasoline. Ethanol tends to harden the diaphragm which makes it prone to cracking, can anyone recommend a gasoline without ethanol?
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

Well it depends on where you live. Around here they seem to advertise it roadside that they have "no ethanol in our gas means better milage." Look towards independant stations. I believe that all pumps that have the mix in them are labeled such.
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

+ Reply to Thread