+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relay for fuel pump shut off

I like the idea of having a low oil pressure cut off for the fuel pump- used it all the time on the race cars and it saved an engine on the Ginetta.
    But I am wondering if this isn't too complicated. What if you were to integrate an inertia switch from a Discovery into the power side of the fuel pump? It's a 2 wire connection- put it inline for the 12v ignition wire currently being used to power the pump. Mount it vertically anywhere that's convienent.
    I've got a few in the parts cars. I'll send you one with the check for the seat shipping and you can check it out.
    Plus it would be utilising Genuine Land Rover parts!

Errgh! I can't find you business shipping address!
    Last edited by rvrsrvc; 08-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

Default Inertia Switch

Quote Originally Posted by rvrsrvc
    I like the idea of having a low oil pressure cut off for the fuel pump- used it all the time on the race cars and it saved an engine on the Ginetta.
    But I am wondering if this isn't too complicated. What if you were to integrate an inertia switch from a Discovery into the power side of the fuel pump? It's a 2 wire connection- put it inline for the 12v ignition wire currently being used to power the pump. Mount it vertically anywhere that's convienent.
    I have to admit this whole low pressure cutoff switch is getting very complicated. (But then again, I like complicated) My shipping address is:

Ken Heaton
    Lehigh Cement Company
    7660 Imperial Way
    Allentown, PA

I will mount it on the bulkhead, then I will have all kinds of protection.

I still want to get the speakers and Tuffy boxes installed once I get everything sorted out with the fuel system. I also want to look at the 95 Disco I, I like those early models. What kind of shape is it in?

Ken
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

I'd say it's in very good condition relative to the miles. I've serviced it since 2005 and the current owner has had it since 2007 when he bought it from Art Pursel. It has a new clutch last October, front pads and rotors, regular services, a new serpentine belt tensioner all within in the last few months. Current inspection good through October 2010. 147k Dark blue over tan.
    It was crashed last fall and I fitted a used hood, LH fender, grille, lights after cutting away the mangled brush bar. No structural damage, just cosmetics and apanel replacement. I've heard that the son had another minor fender bender at the front and I don't recall detail but it wasn't bad. He's still driving it.
    I've asked the owner to send some pix of the car for reference.
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

I need a beater, I know what body shop not to send it to!!
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

Now I haven't looked yet but either Radio Shack (AKA the cell phone hut) or Pep Boys should stock 12volt coil single pole or double pole relays. Ask for a 12v spst relay or get fancy and give youself more options in the future by getting a 12v dpdt (double pole double throw) relay.
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

Thumbs up Relays

I talked to one of my electrical engineer colleagues at work and he directed me to this website: newark.com. They sell thousands of these things, I got an 80 amp normally open 12v automotive relay for $3.25.
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

I usually pick up relays from the electrical rack at a generic auto parts store. They are just a 30 or 40 amp relay with four male spade connections, main power in, switch power in, main power out and ground. I've found the ones with a metal mounting tab to be more durable than the plastic mounting tab relays.

For the fuel pump, the switch power in wire would come from your bypass or the oil pressure switch.

You can mount the oil pressure switch or pressure senders on the wing or bulkhead. I use a flexible line for a grease gun to go from the oil filter housing to the wing, where it usually attaches to a brass 'T' fitting. I braze or solder a flat mount to the brass 'T' to bolt it to the wing. The flex line has 1/8" pipe thread on each end, and is rated for pressure much greater than your Rover oil pressure. The flex lines come in various lengths are are far cheaper than trying to buy a specific flex oil pressure line. Just remember that it will take just a bit longer to pressurize up to the switch or sender....

If you do use a bypass switch for startup, use a momentary pushbutton or toggle switch so it can't be left in 'bypass'.....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Heaton
    Where do you get these relays? I am having a hard time locating one.

I drove by the-body-shop-who's-name-we-do-not-speak-of and the red Caddy and the yellow Buick are still there!
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

You could always just hook it up like a lawn mower seat and when your out of the seat it kills the fuel pump?

And hook up a switch to bypass the seat switch for when you have to leave it running when your working under the hood....

Which just means you would have to jump ship before an accident.....nevermind this is not a good idea
    Last edited by Todd138; 08-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thumbs down xxx yyy & the sunshine band

Quote Originally Posted by rvrsrvc
    I drove by the-body-shop-who's-name-we-do-not-speak-of and the red Caddy and the yellow Buick are still there!
    That does not surprise me, all things considered I am astonished that he actually got my vehicle done when he did!!
    Ken Heaton

1972 Series III
    1963 MGB

+ Reply to Thread