+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 200Di conversion in my 88 - got her started today!

Hybrid View

Default 200Di conversion in my 88 - got her started today!

I took my '88 off the road in November for a diesel conversion ...and ... decided to rebuild the tranny while it was out ...and the firewall needed some attention ...and ... you know the drill.

I still have to get the seat bench, floorboards, etc. back in. A few pictures attached ...everything fit into the engine bay nicely (no un-natural acts!). Thinking about adding a veggie tank, but need to get her back on the road first. These things take a lot longer than you think up front when you have to tackle them in 2 hour increments btwn the kids soccer, ballet, etc ion the weekends!

Steve B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg‎
Views:	1926
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg‎
Views:	2009
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg‎
Views:	1953
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1342  
    '73 SIII 88 Pick-up

Awesome!

Steve, That's real awsome!
    Mudrat Mike

1975 - Series III
    2009 - LR3

That just looks so right! I'm in need of a 200 and a 300, got any leads?
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

That really does look like a thing of beauty. Nice job!
    1995 Black Defender 90 ST

Hey Steve -- that makes me want to steal your truck even more!
    "QQ Rover" -- 1962 Series IIa 88"

Hey Steve - any updates on your conversion? I'm trying to figure out a way make a conversion happen for my 88.
    "QQ Rover" -- 1962 Series IIa 88"

I have managed to resolve the most annoying vibrations coming in through the Steering column and the dashboard. The Steering column issue was related to two things - (1) the rubber piece in the steering column mount at the firewall was completely deteriorated. I replaced that with fresh rubber left over from my door seal replacement, and (2) this made the biggest difference - the steering wheel was tightened down such that the spring that sits between the washer and the steering column was completely crushed down. Backing that off 2 turns dramatically reduced the vibration of the steering wheel and the dash(surprisingly). So simple - who would have thunk it. Keep in mind, that neither of these conditions created any issue with the Petrol motor.

After resolving the biggest annoyance, others became more apparant ...the motor still sends a vibration through the frame and anything loose and metallic shook and made noise. Example: Hood support bracket (holds the hood up open) vibrated wildly and made a racket. I went through each item and installed a rubber buffer or something to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Overall, the idle vibration annoyance is 90% resolved. I'd like to smooth it out a bit more and am looking at some hydraulic puck-type motor mounts that I should be able to fit ...but, that's just me wanting to tinker to perfection.

Driving wise - I've had this on the road for a year. I couldn't be more pleased with Drive-ability, Performance and Fuel economy. The DI is the perfect choice for a Series (if you are not a purist - but, at least it's a Landie motor). I had it up at the Robesonia Trial last Spring and had a blast - it idled up the hills in low range with tons of torque and climbing over obstacles required a very light touch on the throttle. On road, it holds 65mph in overdrive on an incline with no issues ....and fuel economy, I stopped tracking after my 10th tank of fuel. My 10 samples ranged from 28-31 mpg - no kidding.
    '73 SIII 88 Pick-up

Sounds like the DI conversion is a winner in a Series! That mileage is fantastic. If/when I get a Series I'll have to seriously consider this. The vibrations aren't a surprise - my diesel has unearthed few vibes in my car too now.
    '89 Range Rover
    '95 D90

+ Reply to Thread