+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires Size?

Default Tires Size?

I just did a 1.5" spacer lift with new springs & shocks on my 1999 Disco II. Can I run 265/75/16R tires with this lift?

What springs? Why did you put on new springs and spacers?
    Where's my winch controler

Default Springs

1999 Disco II / Bosch Engine & No ACE
    I already had new, stock rear springs from my air bag conversion so I put new stock springs from Atlantic British in the front. Todd from Toddco Suspensions Inc & AB told me not to do a 2" or greater lift because of vibration and other problems so I went with the 1.5". I drive the truck long distances ( West VA and the Pine Barrens ) so I wanted it to still have good on-road handling.
    The new springs helped a lot with lifting up the front end because my old one were worn and comressed about 1.5 inches. If I can run 265/75/16's then my total lift will be 2.5" which is enough for the type of roading I do. I have a lathe at home so I can make .25" add on spacers if nessesary.
    Last edited by DiscoDaze; 06-08-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Default Tires

So, what do you think? Can I run 265/75/16's with this lift?

That was a lot of misinformation you received IMHO. But what is the distance from the center of your wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

I would never run spacers with stock springs and I have for years run a 2" lift on my DD with zero issues and have a 3" RTE with stock drive line with zero issues. On D2s BTW.
    Where's my winch controler

Default Stock Tires

I was afraid of that after reading all the reports of people lifting thier DISCO II's by 2 inches or higher. They were very adimate and I believed them.
    I am still running the stock 255/65/16's with a radious of 14.5" the 265/75/16's would increase the radious to 15.8"
    I will have to measure the arch when I get home tonight but it has to be at least 10 inches.
    Last edited by DiscoDaze; 06-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.

No No Disco Daze, Randy wants to know the distance in inches from your rim center or axle center to the highest part (straight up) of the wheel opening in your fenders front and rear. This would be with the truck sitting on the ground not on a lift or jack. Tire size will NOT change this measurement, only suspension changes will.
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

Default Tire size

20.5 inches from the center of the axel to the apex of the fender / front & rear.

Default Tire size

Any ideas....anyone.
    Can I run 265/75/16's with this lift.

You can run them but they will be very close or just rub on the bottom of the stock front bumper. Might require some minor trimming, especially if you do winter wheeling with chains. They won't rub aftermarket bumpers nor if you trim off the spoiler.

Steering stops can be adjusted if they rub the radius arms and you don't like the noise so that is no problem.

Biggest problem will be the power they rob, in my opinion. I have a narrower version of that size (235/85) on my range rover and it is a dog around town and on hills with stock gears. If you can deal with the power loss or are willing to re-gear at some point then I say get the 265/75. They look right with a small lift on the disco II's.

Edit - If you don't do much four wheeling consider just doing a 255/70 all terrain tire. They fit perfect with zero rubbing and the power loss isn't much. Plus, your speedometer and odometer stay close to being accurate. This is what's been on my dad's DII for many years with a 1.5" lift. Class "S" tire chains fit without trimming the stock front bumper.
    Last edited by Frank84; 07-09-2011 at 03:00 AM.
    '89 Range Rover
    '95 D90

+ Reply to Thread