+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M&S lights

Default M&S lights

Hey all, Seems kinda dead in here so Ill post something to exercise our minds. The other day I came to a light and when I went to go I heard the engine rev up and I went slowly. Seen the M&S lights flashing. Made it to where I going. Restarted the truck a little later and everything was fine the rest of the day.
    Next day ran over to Starbucks for a delicious latte, came out and the truck turned over and over then finally started. Went to work and in the parking lot I put my code reader on it and it gave for a crankshaft position sensor. It didn't give any check engine lights.
    I ordered one. My question is, is this two different things going on here or are they related. Flashing M&S lights are supposed to be a transmission electrical fault.

Anybody?
    01 D2 108K
    13 Nissan 370Z
    03 FXSTS

Default Disco Daze

I had the same problem. The xyz plug connection into the transmission sees a lot of water. The A/C Condensate drain also drips right on it. I do 99% of my off roading in the NJ Pine Barrens / under water. When the plug corrodes and some intermittent contact is lost the M&S lights will start flashing. I could not get my hand into where the plug is. Its too tight. I had one guy suggest that I pull the transmission to access the plug. I think he has too much spare time. I sprayed a full can of WD40 on the plug. That was a year ago. Not flashing lights since.

Disco Daze
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DiscoDaze 99D2.JPG‎
Views:	271
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1967  

What disco daze said - most likely the XYZ connector just needs a clean. Your trans went into "limp" mode which locks it into ONLY 3rd gear hence the sluggishness. Keep in mind low range still works so if you need a lower gear to get up a hill or something that will work.

I'd clear the crank code and see if it comes back.

One other thing to keep in mine - you can get some very weird and seemingly unrelated codes on a DII when the battery voltage drops. In general, make sure your battery is good and terminals are clean.
    '89 Range Rover
    '95 D90

Thanks guys. I read about the xyz plug before. I'll clean it. To replace was 629.00 ouch!!! Ordered the cps yesterday and got it today! Wow.
    01 D2 108K
    13 Nissan 370Z
    03 FXSTS

Click image for larger version

Name:	294309_942717948672_16108359_42356176_7464139_n.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1969Click image for larger version

Name:	294595_942722584382_16108359_42356274_7699643_n.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1970

drill out the rivets, clean up the contacts really good with electrical cleaner and q tips. let it dry. put it back together, seal it with RTV. never worry about it again. this was mine when I opened it.
    - Ed
    President Northeast Land Rover Club
    www.NELRC.com

Wow Hilltoppersx that looks cruddy! Battery on mine is new. Checked charging and all is good. Bearings are a little noisy in the alternator though. I`m gonna have it rebuilt. They said any wheres from 50-70$. Installed new cps today and it starts up good with no hesitation. If my M&S lights come on again I will take it out and clean it.
    01 D2 108K
    13 Nissan 370Z
    03 FXSTS

+ Reply to Thread