+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300TDI for my 109

Bob,

From what I have read, I think this is an easier RHD installation vs. LHD, due to exhaust/turbo clearance.

I think a 200Tdi would be the all the icing I need for my 109, I'm just not willing to take on that scale of project right now...

Tom P.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Tom,

It is easy to see that the LHD steering box and linkage would interfere with the exhaust and turbo. Without the engine in the chassis, it looks like the turbo inlet / outlet hoses could be a tight fit with the left side bulkhead support. The Defender 300TDI exhaust outlet is straight down, and the pipe will be very close to the left side engine mount bracket. I'll have to make up a pipe with a turn immediately below the flange. I'm going to stop by the nearby British / Exotic car junkyard tomorrow to eyeball some pipes and flanges....

Dawn's 109 was originally a LHD truck, but it was far easier to convert to RHD for the 3.9 V8 left side exhaust manifold clearance.

Bob

After checking a number of cars, we found the exhaust manifold flange is similar to the TR-3, early TR-4 and early TR-6 flange. The Triumph uses a 2 inch pipe with a three hole flange, and the 300TDI uses a 2.25 inch pipe with a larger three hole flange but with the same bolt spacing. I found a new TR-3 partial downpipe in my garage, from when I installed the header on my TR-3 back in '73...... As Dawn says, I apparently don't throw anything away. I can use the TR-3 pipe to fab up what I need for the 300TDI downpipe, and I will order a 2.25 inch blank flange to fab up a usable downpipe.

I still need to gather a few more bits. The right side engine mount block bracket was trimmed to clear the oil filter housing, but then found the mounting bolt holes need filed to line up to the holes in the block.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread