+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: badland winches from harbor freight.

Default badland winches from harbor freight.

Hi all, I was in Harbor freight yesterday and saw that they have some pretty good deals on winches. Considerations, contemplations, cogitations here:
    They LOOK pretty well built and robust.
    Like everything else in H.F. they're "Made in China".
    I've read that a lot of the Warn models are now made there, only brand that you can be sure of in the US is now Ramsey.
    Warrior advertises that theirs are 'British designed and engineered', but not where they are manufactured (Much like the Triumph brand named motorcycle jacket that boasts "British designed" on the big tag at the collar and whispers "Made in China" on the tiny tag on the inside of the armpit?)
    I really don't mind spending some extra $$$ to get something of higher quality and greater value, (don't want a useless lump hanging on my bumper) but wonder whether I won't be paying for a more famous label on something that came from the same production line at the People's Winch factory.
    Looking for info, experience, opinions.
    Thanks,
    Bill Snyder

i actually read a review of the badland winches on some jeep website and they said that they were actually really quite good for the price. it did say it was slow but other than that there was no problem and you can't beat the warranty with the price. i say give the 12,000lb a try!
    - Ed
    President Northeast Land Rover Club
    www.NELRC.com

Four wheeler magazine did a winch shootout and compared 12 winches side by side. The one from HF failed out of the box and never ran. The one from summit also never ran but made a lot of smoke on startup.
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

I made my mind and bought a Ramsey 9500. I'm hoping that my decision may help keep some fellow American in a job. If i do need 12000 pounds, I'll just have to double up on the blocks.

Default BadLand Winch

I have been looking at the 9000 lb BadLand from HF. It fits by budget so I am going to give it a try.

please write review when possible
    "Professional Driver on closed course-Do Not Attempt"
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a dead battery.

'96 Discovery w/redneck lift, '04 Discovery (Sold, I almost cried, ALOT!)
    Captincvmn@verizon.net

I looked at some other winches on Amazon. Found the Vortex winch. The winch motor is advertised as water proof and it has a 3 year warranty. Same price as the Harbor Freight gear. Does anyone have any experinece with the Vortex winch. Rated 10000lbs x $350.

Disco Daze

Name:  Vortex.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  3.3 KB

So, any thoughts on these Harbor Freight winches? I have mixed ideas too....but it is a huge difference in costs compared to the big brands!

I mean I don't want to feed the people's machine either, sometimes there's no way around it!

Have you guys used these yet?

I have fit a lot of Warn winches; my XD9000i has been frozen in ice, stuck in muck, been utilised for major recoveries, frequently drags dead Rovers in and out of the shop, toppled trees and been used enthusiastically for 12 years. I have broken 2 synthetic winch lines and had to replace the motor and drum brake shoes once in that period.
    Some customers don't use their winches any where near as often and still have the reliability to use it when they need it. Big power cables, clean electrical contacts with a generous application of silicone paste at the electrical connections are a must.
    Another resource would be Justin at Lucky 8. He has a hydraulic on his D90 which was pretty awesome, but I suspect he has tried most all of the electrics....
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

Keep in mind - very often you get what you pay for! I buy stuff from Harbor Freight, but never anything that I will need to rely on like a winch.
    '89 Range Rover
    '95 D90

+ Reply to Thread