+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What on earth did I do?

Default Vibration

Last time out I felt a little vibration through the steering wheel at 65mph. So last night, with my oldest son the drivers seat, we did the requisite steering linkage checks, everything looked good. Drop arm? Check. steering rod-ends? Check. Wheel bearings? Check. Panhard rod bushes? Check. SPH preload? Let's do that last....

Just by chance I grabbed each shock. They easily rotated in my hands, and the top of the RH shock was physically loose. Trouble was, the lock nuts were tightened and bottomed on the stud shoulder? Pulled a set to check at the parts store, and looked-up the part numbers for a LR parts order.

Early this AM I find this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RRC_EAS_Fr_Shock.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2270

The shocks are basically brand-new. However, they were installed the the bushings flipped 180 to the drawing above. This caused the bushes to nest into the cups/washers, and allow the nut to bottom without compressing them.
    Last edited by Tom109; 05-19-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

That's interesting.
    The bushings for OME shocks are symmetrical so it's fool-proof.
    I'm not sure I would have known to install the original ones in an EAS RRC that way. I'd think they were upside down, but it makes eminent sense looking at the diagram.
    '92 Range Rover
    '51 80"

It is certainly a non-intuitive installation, and purposely designed. Shows the RRC Engineers really thought about a lot of things!

Tonight I decided to swap the bushings to their correct position, which was a little bit of a fight! The rubber was in great condition, but getting the concave end into the cups, and holding it there so I could fit the nut was incredibly hard. Now I know why they get installed incorrectly! Using a slow and steady approach with a little silicone spray, I eventually got it all back together - about 30 minutes per shock.

Test ride to work tomorrow!
    Last edited by Tom109; 05-20-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Name:	LWB.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	2271

Last weekend we hit the Shore so the kids cold test out their paddle-boards. LWB rode like a caddy and I'm really likin' the EAS. I need new bags - they leak, parked in standard height, but hold air fine at extended height.

I also have a new ABS accumulator sitting on my work bench. The ABS pump cycled a little more than it should, and my preliminary tests indicate the accumulator has lost it's charge. Next activity will be it's replacement and a full system bleed.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Two weeks ago I replaced the EAS bladders.

Name:	EAS_1.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2282

I found genuine Dunlop replacements in the UK

Name:	EAS_3.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2283

There is a significant height difference between the new and old bags, here is an new front next to the old

Name:	EAS_5.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2284

New front bag installed

Name:	EAS_6.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2286

Same for the rear

Name:	EAS_rear_a.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2285
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Since they were so much taller I decided to fight them into as-much-of-a compressed position as possible.

Name:	EAS_rear_b.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2287

It is a real bear to do this. I made a short manual fill line to charge the bladder, then loosened the fitting to slowly bleed-off air, while folding the bladder over onto the lower piston.

The ride is 100% transformed - soft, supple and soaks-up road irregularities.

Next up, I plan to run individual manual fill lines to each air bag, so I can fill them up if the compressor or EAS system fails or faults.
    Last edited by Tom109; 07-05-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Does the truck ride higher since the airbags are taller?
    '59 SII

To be honest, I didn't measure ride heights to compare between the new and old airbags. The new ones are taller and narrower because they have never been pressurized under load, so you have to deal with the extra length as best you can before their initial air up. Post inflation they take a similar shape

I would think the height settings are controlled by the individual sensors at each corner. That said, extended height seems a good inch taller than with the old bags. Ride is excellent at every level.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

New coolant, t-stat and hoses were on the menu this weekend. What was the one thing I overlooked? This motor still has the original expansion tank, and it's failed around the seam.

Name:	RRC_42L.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2288

So, I ordered one up and now I wait for it to arrive on Tuesday.

At least I now know where the coolant smell was coming from!
    Last edited by Tom109; 07-18-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Default Eas

Last month I did a little maintenance on my EAS system. First, I installed remote manual fill lines for each corner

Name:	MARS1.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2301

With these lines in place, I can flip the manual EAS override switch, manually inflate each corner, and continue onward in the face of a major EAS fault.

Shortly thereafter, the LWB would slowly lower if parked for a few days to a week. I had a leak!. Finally located it where the original right real line connected to the airline y-fitting. Once that was corrected, I replaced the EAS delay relay with a standard relay, preventing the system to attempt to level the vehicle while parked/unattended. Now when I park it at a certain height, it just sits at that height, with one exception...

When I fixed the leak and swapped the delay relay for a standard one, I had parked the LWB in the EAS extended height setting. Now, the everything operational, when I park overnight the LWB defaults to extended height! I'm not sure how this would work - resetting the default height - but my suspicion is that without a delay relay, the sensor feedback says "extended height" simply because four people + gear were removed after parking, and the now-unladen vehicle rose up from standard height.

Either way I love it. No more settling while parked, the LWB sits at a more visually appealing height, and I usually take it for a short course around around our 4.5 acres before hitting the pavement!
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

+ Reply to Thread