+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSA throw out bearings

Yep, I have to let the pedal up just a bit.

I did have everything disconnected. Brand new master and slave cylinder just about a month before all this happened. I took a nice long drive the other day and the pedal was working normally, yesterday I had to let it up again. Maybe I need to go another round of bleeding, but I wasn't getting any air from it after 2 tries.
    '59 SII

Default Who knows

That's an interesting one . . .

In my A-H Sprite, there's an adjustment at the pedal box. If the pushrod at the slave cylinder extends too far the engine slows down noticeably. To prevent wear against the crankshaft thrust bearings, the pushrod at the master cylinder is adjusted to prevent the throwout bearing from traveling that far.

Since I no longer have the 5-speed D1 I can't check whether the clutch pedal stop or either the master cylinder or slave cylinder pushrods are adjustable in any way. But it seems like the throwout bearing is moving so far that the input shaft is being turned at the point that the pedal is fully depressed.

If everything else about the repair works perfectly, and if there are no adjustments that can be made, shortening the slave cylinder pushrod might solve the problem. (?)
    '92 Range Rover
    '51 80"

No adjustments are possible in either the master or slave. Yesterday and today it behaved as it should. I'm hoping the trans just needed to get re-lubricated and working properly again.

Doesn't matter much to me since it's going up for sale.
    '59 SII

No pushrod adjustments? Strange.

For sale? Aren't you less than a year into this D1? Find something nicer?
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

I've owned this truck for over 4 years now! ?
    '59 SII

Galen - that's crazy - that means I was searching for a RRC for four years...!
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Maybe just bump stop at the end of the pedal travel would do it then to prevent you from pushing it too far. Or just getting rid of the truck would solve that and a host of other current and future issues...
    '89 Range Rover
    '95 D90

It's really a shame because I think the truck is running fantastic now, it appears I've worked through all the issues it had, even addressed almost every leak that was underneath with this last work, but it is what it is. I'm afraid to know what it's even worth...
    '59 SII

I continue to have issues with the clutch and don't know what to do. The reverse gears does not work unless I shut off the engine, but sometimes it works just fine. The forward gears work, but I have to let the pedal off the floor about 1/4"-1/2" to engage the clutch, some days it works just fine......

I have bled the clutch numerous times and this last time I did an internet search and discovered that Disco clutch bleeding is a common problem and the advice was to elevate the front end which did help.

It seems that the clutch still isn't properly bled, but I've never experienced a system that needs such difficult bleeding.
    '59 SII

Did you try to pressure bleed it?

Is there anything else, like setting pedal height and free-play on a Series clutch?
    Tom Proctor
    1965 exMod 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

+ Reply to Thread