+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to ROVERS (and to Landys) - 1980 88" Series 3 RHD in Stockton NJ

Wink New to ROVERS (and to Landys) - 1980 88" Series 3 RHD in Stockton NJ

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself and "Penny", my recently acquired 1980 Series 3 88" Landy 2.25 petrol. I picked her up from someone in KY who (I think) imported her from the UK a few years back. I'm not looking to restore her to pristine condition, rather to make sure she's mechanically sound, safe for my kids, and can handle some technical trails at Rausch without too much damage!

Here's an album of her current condition. https://goo.gl/photos/UX8oQmbMHtYzHgBV6

I'm new to the world of Land Rovers, and I'll admit I'm not very experienced wrenching on her yet, but my lack of experience is compensated by enthusiasm. I do know I'm in over my head on some things, so hopefully there are some kind souls here that are willing to offer some advice/help.

Here is a short list of issues that I'm tackling before feeling confident on the trails.

1.) Failed NJ Inspection due to emissions. Didn't register historic due to modifications, but may have to go that way. Was told to adjust the tappets and weber carb to get into spec.

2.) Turn signals/Brake lights. Gremlins in these. They work, flicker fast, then stop working after driving a bit, then work again. Lots of wires cleanly wrapped, but hard to sort out what might be wrong.

3.) Horn doesn't work. Eh, not a big deal?

4.) Heater hose from side vent to heating element is tattered. Have a replacement but there is no clearance to get it on easily? Heard the easiest thing to do is to remove the mud shield?

5.) Leaf springs. She seems to be leaning a bit to one side. Not sure why or how to fix.

6.) Seatbelts or individual jump seats in the rear for kids. Needs something so I can fit 2 carseats in for the kids, and 4 seatbelts total.

7.) Safari top. Haven't seen one listed, but would love to find one.

That's the short list. There's tons more, but she's generally pretty solid.

Anyway, I'm just looking to get her in good running condition and wrench on her for fun. I had a Wrangler back in the late 90s and figured I'd venture into the idiosyncratic love affair with Solihull's finest! I've always loved the storied history of the rovers and now I'm living the dream!

Special thanks to Sean @ Crazyfish for a chat and viewing of the Short Bus!

Nice to meet ya'll,
    Matt
    Stockton, NJ

Welcome aboard.

This club is a great place to be - best group of guys around.

My 88 leaned too - a shop took one of my springs and added a leaf to balance things out. Worked like a charm.
    Last edited by mlp141; 11-02-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    "QQ Rover" -- 1962 Series IIa 88"

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting y'all!

I think they're parabolic, so that might complicate things?

Quote Originally Posted by mlp141 View Post
    Welcome aboard.

This club is a great place to be - best group of guys around.

My 88 leaned too - a shop took one of my springs and added a leaf to balance things out. Worked like a charm.

Hi Matt,

Welcome. Good to see another series truck in New Jersey.

It's possible to get a 2.25 through NJ inspection but you do have to have them tuned properly. For the lights, I would check the fixtures themselves first. Check for loose or corroded connections.

I'm about an hour or so north of you if you are truly stuck.

Bill
    1951 S1 80 * 2 - 1955 S1 86 - 1956 S1 86 - 1957 S1 107SW - 1958 S1 88
    1966 SIIa 109 - 1966 SIIa 88 - 1967 IIb FC - 1968 109 "Pink Panther"
    1974 SIII - 1984 110 - 1997 D90
    1987 RRC, 1991 D1, 1997 D1, 2002 D2
    2011 LR4 - 2018 D5 TD6
    This is getting out of hand.....

I have antique tags on my Series. One of the few positive aspects of the DMV. No inspection required.

Thumbs up

Thanks Bill! That's a helluva Landy inventory you've had (have?)! I had a hard enough time convincing the wife that 1 Landy was a sane idea, I'm not sure how you've managed to work through that beautiful lineup!

I think I'll give it one more go before swapping to Historic. The idle was set extremely low, so I think that was part of the problem.

I'll check all the light connections - multimeter time!

Thanks for the offer if I hit a dead end!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by billcooper View Post
    Hi Matt,

Welcome. Good to see another series truck in New Jersey.

It's possible to get a 2.25 through NJ inspection but you do have to have them tuned properly. For the lights, I would check the fixtures themselves first. Check for loose or corroded connections.

I'm about an hour or so north of you if you are truly stuck.

Bill

Is your Series stock? I've got lots of lights and I'm wondering if they'll deny it since it doesn't look stock?

I might have to bust out Photoshop to remove the lights for the photoshoot!

Quote Originally Posted by mlp141 View Post
    I have antique tags on my Series. One of the few positive aspects of the DMV. No inspection required.

Mine is pretty stock -- nothing bolted to it. Check your PM.

Welcome! And speaking of Rausch, next weekend is Rovers on the Rocks at Rausch Creek. Plenty of videos on youtube....
    I'm heading up in my 92 Range Rover, and although it hasn't been confirmed, club president Galen may bring my S3SW...
    74S3/92RRC/03D2/06D3

I run QQ plates on three of the series trucks but the lightweight is on standard plates. Thats how I know that a reasonably tuned 2.25 will pass NJ inspection. The main reason I put regular plates on that one was because of all of the older truck I drive that one around the most. If you are not using your truck as a daily driver you will probably be fine with QQ's.

Bill
    1951 S1 80 * 2 - 1955 S1 86 - 1956 S1 86 - 1957 S1 107SW - 1958 S1 88
    1966 SIIa 109 - 1966 SIIa 88 - 1967 IIb FC - 1968 109 "Pink Panther"
    1974 SIII - 1984 110 - 1997 D90
    1987 RRC, 1991 D1, 1997 D1, 2002 D2
    2011 LR4 - 2018 D5 TD6
    This is getting out of hand.....

+ Reply to Thread